Dec Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the update, it's good to see that things are happening and generally moving in a positive direction. The case design update seems nice, perhaps a tad too soft but as long as it still comes in black it'll blend in nicely alongside my NDSL. The logo embossed on the top is a nice touch too (and yay for the Sun-esque logo!).

But I'll just quote the most pertinent question in my mind right now, seeing as how I've recieved my refund:
solidstate said:
Just one big answerable question remains unanswered.

Credit card reorders - when and where?

I for one can't wait to put down my money again (and possibly add a TV-out cable to my order if possible).

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
In slightly better news it's possible we might be able to ship some units reasonably soon to those of you who are more the hacker type, these units may come without a battery and with a beta OS installed, the battery could be sent on at a later date at the postage cost.

so would there any possibility at all of any hardware/design changes between these and the final release?

craigix said:
In slightly better news it's possible we might be able to ship some units reasonably soon to those of you who are more the hacker type, these units may come without a battery and with a beta OS installed, the battery could be sent on at a later date at the postage cost.

Am I the only one who's concerned this bit will have people clamoring for them as some sort of "omg I get my Pandora earlier" open beta version, which I don't think it's supposed to be?

Eniko said:
craigix said:

Am I the only one who's concerned this bit will have people clamoring for them as some sort of "omg I get my Pandora earlier" open beta version, which I don't think it's supposed to be?

I'm starting to worry about that too. I want mine as early as possible from a development standpoint, to get PandoraPanic! working before everyone else gets their final units... *sigh*

I think that early Pandoras are supposed to be the same as the actual dev kits: for kernel and core applications developers, and not for games and that kind of stuff.

That said, I think my interface would benefit from an early Pandora, but only if the develpment team wants, because as ED said to me, it's not mandatory to have the interface finished at release, as the official interface will be gmenu not mine :)

efegea said:
That said, I think my interface would benefit from an early Pandora, but only if the develpment team wants, because as ED said to me, it's not mandatory to have the interface finished at release, as the official interface will be gmenu not mine :)

Hi efegea. I heard recently you were making an interface.
Do you have a preview for it ? Which kind of interface is it ?
Or is it to soon to ask any of those questions n_n

hells_dark said:
Hi efegea. I heard recently you were making an interface.
Do you have a preview for it ? Which kind of interface is it ?
Or is it to soon to ask any of those questions n_n
It's too soon :p

Not previews until it is finished. I can only say that it is fully skinnable by XML skin files, has a very useful search-as-you-type feature and I'm planning to add a widgets/gadgets area. And for your question about kind of interface, it's similar to gmenu in the way that it shows a list of categories and a grid of application icons.

And yesterday I implemented a cool iphone-like kinetic scrolling function :)

Eniko said:
:) you and everyone who ordered in the first hour I imagine... I doubt the hacker version will come to fruition, it would cause a lot of grief for limited benefit, unless it is a carrot for MUCH longer delays...

I can see it shipping with a beta OS, but without a battery? I'd echo lardman's question:

lardman said:
What's the possible hold-up with the batteries, not available, not decided, kernel not finalised so can't be charged, etc.?
It made me think of this little note in a Chip update about the battery connection. Maybe instead of changing the connection, they are changing the battery.

Chip said:
...All will be tested extensively and then passed on to software devs. Everything in these units is 100% finalized (except the cases, and the units with 128MB RAM, obviously). There will not be any more board revisions, aside from maybe a new battery connection.

efegea said:
It's too soon :p

Not previews until it is finished. I can only say that it is fully skinnable by XML skin files, has a very useful search-as-you-type feature and I'm planning to add a widgets/gadgets area. And for your question about kind of interface, it's similar to gmenu in the way that it shows a list of categories and a grid of application icons.

And yesterday I implemented a cool iphone-like kinetic scrolling function :)

Thanks a lot !

Sounds good !

(fully skinnable = yepee !)

I would like to grab a hacker edition, unless it would delay the release of the full product of course :D

In particular I want to try hooking it up with some Mindstorms...

Spectator said:
For my preference, I like the sharp, professional ThinkPad style
Count me in! The T60 looks to round already. :)

I'm sure most people aren't bothered about waiting longer than others to get their pandoras. I would much rather get my Pandora later and there to be plenty software already created, then get it earlier and have to wait on development.

YokoZar said:
craigix said:
If it can arrive by next week, I'd like to request one of these for myself.

I am an Ubuntu developer (Scott Ritchie), and next week is the Ubuntu Developer Summit. With Ubuntu now having an official ARM port, it would be very nice to have one of these devices to showcase to the other developers at the summit, especially the mobile team. I have no doubt I can get more developers interested in making it (and all packages for it) working well.

SOMEONE GIVE THIS GUY A PANDORA!

Seriously though, this is EXACTLY what we were all talking about in terms of Ubuntu on the Pandora. If they could get their hands on something by that conference, we'd benefit tremendously.

----

On topic:

The new, rounded edges are looking good. They could probably use a bit of tweaking, but I'm sure they'll figure out something nice in the end. Also, I'm gonna have to cast a vote for extending the inset area up to the lid (for ease of opening and the like).

Has the mk3board, with new connections, necessitated a different battery?

I worry about the hacker edition - some might use it as a queue jump and then find they are not as hacker as they thought and either end up dissatisfied or needing lots of dev support.

Rounded or boxy, I don't care. ... I just hope it's still black.

TaG said:
I worry about the hacker edition - some might use it as a queue jump and then find they are not as hacker as they thought and either end up dissatisfied or needing lots of dev support.
Well, I don't think you need to be a uber-hacker to be able to add a battery and update the OS later on ;)
In the meantime it might be enough to place it on a pedestal and admire it for an extended period of time :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back