Dec Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, I know that, which is why I like the boxy design a bit. I have a nice big coat with 7 pockets, I am not too worried about the boxy-ness of it

Actually, it has been said before the Pandora can't run alone on AC power, so how the hell is it gonna be shipped without batteries?

<removed -- Chip beat me to it>

I really do need to learn to check for an update before I submit a post. Especially when I walk away in the middle of posting. :D

Etinin said:
Actually, it has been said before the Pandora can't run alone on AC power, so how the hell is it gonna be shipped without batteries?
It was supposed to work without batteries, but it didn't and after about 8 months of trying to get TI to help me figure out why it doesn't work as written in the datasheet, a solution was found. It's still being tested more but it didn't require any PCB changes, just a part change on the PCB.

It is limited to about one amp of power drain though so running WiFi, LCD,BT and overclocking all at once might be tough (or something extreme like that). Also, on DC only, the USB host should not be used to power any external devices for the same reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, what happens when you exceed the 1 amp? Do you get voltage sag, followed by crashed processor?

Cheers for the update. I like the final case design. I'm in no rush to get my pandora just take your time and iron out all the gremlins. I haven't been bothered by the whole banking fiasco nor would I ever think of getting a refund. I'm just gonna sit back, put my feet up for christmas and wait for my pandora to arrive sometime next year. I'd just like to thank the devs and everyone else behind the scenes who are busy working away putting this project together. You guys deserve some credit for taking on this MASSIVE project. Merry christmas Pandora H.Q :)

MWeston said:
Etinin said:
It was supposed to work without batteries, but it didn't and after about 8 months of trying to get TI to help me figure out why it doesn't work as written in the datasheet, a solution was found. It's still being tested more but it didn't require any PCB changes, just a part change on the PCB.

It is limited to about one amp of power drain though so running WiFi, LCD,BT and overclocking all at once might be tough (or something extreme like that). Also, on DC only, the USB host should not be used to power any external devices for the same reason.

And when the battery is present, does the charging system take some load off that other part, so we can get over 1A?
I suppose that the current required to charge the battery doesn't go through this part, as it would mean that you can't recharge the battery and use pandora at the same time?

Kloplop321 said:
so if it can't exceed 1 amp, does that mean that we are just getting a 5 watt DC converter?

I'm guessing the power supply will be able to push much harder than that, but since the internal of the Pandora doesn't work at 5V (except for the stuff like USB for example), maybe the 5V -> 3.3V regulator (or whatever he's using the internals) isn't that good? That wouldn't explain why you can't suck 5V through USB host and overclock the processor at the same time however.

MilanC said:
And when the battery is present, does the charging system take some load off that other part, so we can get over 1A?
I suppose that the current required to charge the battery doesn't go through this part, as it would mean that you can't recharge the battery and use pandora at the same time?
Without a battery, the TWL4030 is designed to regulate the voltage with a current limit of 1A (the conversion is linear so it does generate heat). I don't know what happens if you try to pull more than an amp but I will try it once Wifi is up and running. BT doesn't draw enough and even overclocking to 900MHz doesn't pull more than about 710mA. This is just a limitation presented by TI in the datasheet so it could be a recommendation. We shall see.

With a battery, the system will regulate at up to 1.7A (measured to be 1.78A on real hardware). Again, the process in linear and the nominal input is 5.2V. The board regulates this down to 4V-4.2V so that extra volt turns to heat. I believe that is why TI imposes these current restrictions.

Squidge said:
Asmo said:
Just sayin'..... ;)

That says there's at least one in stock. It doesn't say there's 4000 in stock :)

and it also says 3rd party. For whatever reason the team themselves still may not have them ready to be shipped along with the units in time, whereas all the other components are ready. My point was there's no reason to automatically assume the early release is meant to be exclusive to developers. It will probably be open to everyone who preordered, which everyone who planned on developing software should have done anyway.

i dont like the design at all now - prefered it when it didnt look very much like a nintendo DS also the curves vere something i was all for
but not now i have seen the curves i actuly hate the look of the unit.

it should be less curvy and in brushed steel and matt black finnish
and the large logo is just horrible to say the least,should be understated
in the bottom left cornerof the top of the device lcd.

the slots at the front should be covered up with a plastic flip lid to
not only protect the unit internals but to further complete the look of
the unit,basicaly if i now need to wait to jan-feb --- then get it done right
P-team and dont let this unit look beta on release.

i would have taken a pandora in the current state before christmas but
as i have had to hang on to my money for so long now and still cant
reorder my wife has now spent the £200 on yearly decorating,seeing
as it went back into her acount - can you tell im pissed off ?

you have lost my order,i may be able to order in jan-feb if possible
but i would likely loss my £200 price tag ?

not a good day,and to think im in the first 100 pre orders within
the 1st hour of preorders.

Paddy

Goodness me!

then get it done right P-team and dont let this unit look beta on release

From what I understand the design is now pretty much finalised and if you look at the poll 75% odd are for it. So you might not need to worry about ordering .. if you consider it to be beta - Personally I love it.

It terms of the SD slots - Buy a cheapo 2Gb SD Card for like 3 pounds put an emulator on it, and job done ??

I appreciate you being pissed today, but perhaps vent it at the missus rather than us .. or are you angry with yourself for not controlling her ?

Seriously, sorry to hear you are loosing it, but seems like it was preventable and had nothing to do with Craig and the team.

paddy said:
i dont like the design at all now - prefered it when it didnt look very much like a nintendo DS also the curves vere something i was all for
but not now i have seen the curves i actuly hate the look of the unit.
Well, the first designs were not viable because they didn't take into account the actual size of the inner components, the lid, for example, wansn't thick enough to fit the LCD inside... So with a square form it'd look like 2 bricks, one over the other.
it should be less curvy and in brushed steel and matt black finnish
and the large logo is just horrible to say the least,should be understated
in the bottom left cornerof the top of the device lcd.
About this í don't agree. But you can always paint it black again :)
the slots at the front should be covered up with a plastic flip lid to
not only protect the unit internals but to further complete the look of
the unit
I think too it could be a good idea to have the SD entrance covered by a flap, like the floppy units. But on the other side you'll almost always use it with both SD in so there's really no need for a SD slot protector.
not a good day,and to think im in the first 100 pre orders within
the 1st hour of preorders.
About that.... If I remember well, during the first 10 minutes there were placed over 200 orders

Kloplop321 said:
Kyosys said:
I don't like the new design. The round just looks kind of weird (might just be the color) and now it looks even more like a DS (and vice versa. My mother called my DS Lite "pandora" the other day)
I guess you talk a lot about it to your family? :rolleyes:
I do too :p

I kinda liked the old design, I don't see much of a use by curving the top and not the bottom though, your hands are going to be holding the bottom.

Yeah, it comes up occasionally. My father keeps joking that it's a scam and craig and the crew are hiding on a small island they bought from our money by now.

MWeston said:
BT doesn't draw enough and even overclocking to 900MHz doesn't pull more than about 710mA. This is just a limitation presented by TI in the datasheet so it could be a recommendation. We shall see.

Did you charge the system when running it at 900 MHz? I mean was the CPU really pushed (using its caches, NEON unit, and so on)? Was the DSP running a program? Was the 3d graphics hardware running?

EDIT: here is an example that at least exercises NEON: http://thrashbarg.mansr.com/~mru/burn.S
For the DSP and 3d, I have nothing yet :)

Regarding slot covers, even if you don't happen to have an ancient 4MB SD card laying around for that purpose, you could always use black electrical tape. :) I have a GPS that came like that. Granted, it was precut and shaped to fit, but it was still just black electrical tape. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back