Decisions, Decisions...

Komaru

Still Fresh
I've been longing for a way to play my favourite games on buses, car trips, and planes, so I've been looking into buying one of the Gamepark consoles.
But I'm torn- I've seen the Wiz run GBA, NES, and Mega Drive games at full speed, so I had my mind set on that. That is, until I discovered that Cave Story, one of my favourite games of all time, has a port available on the original GP2X.
Being able to play Cave Sotry wherever I go is like some kind of wild dream come true to me, but I'd also want to play games like Mother 3 and Rocket Knight Adventures, which I know handle great on the Wiz.
So I need your help. If somebody can confirm that Cave Story runs on the Wiz (which I highly doubt, considering it was made for the GP2X) then I'll happily get that, but otherwise I'd like somebody to tell me how various emulators perform on the original, and I'll purchase the GP2X F200 (because that analog stick is not for me).
Loads of thanks to anybody that can help!
~Komaru
(Also, I hadn't the slightest clue where to put this. If any moderators would like to move this, go ahead.)

You COULD always look at the Pandora.. Has Touch Screen, Analog sticks (x2), D-pad, full keyboard and shitloads more power.. It's about the size of a DS (original).
Runs N64, Meag Drive, NES, SNES, DosBox, PS1, Atart ST, GB, GBA, Quake 3 (and Doom3 is a POSSIBILITY) and a SHIT LOAD more.. It has not even been released yet! (coming very soon).

Open Pandora

Although the GP2X is a great device. I have one somewhere.. They just kill batteries so quick!
New batteries ran out for me in just a few hours.. 3-4hrs MAX..

DSC01715.jpg

i too recomend you to buy a pandora or a wiz, the gp2x is old, and not the best you could get for what you pay.
if i were you i would go for the pandora, but that depends on you, if you like the gaming-micro-netbook look of the pandora then go for if, but if you like the classic portable console, then the wiz,

but, know that the pandora has far more emulation potential than the wiz, plus you can even use it as netbook, you can boot ubuntu, debian, and any distro that has a arm version

and as kingoddball said above, the gp2x is very power hungry, the longgest my batteries lasted (energizer 2500 mAh) was 6:10 hours playing ogg music with the lcd off, and ~4:30 playing most emus,

GP2X runs a lot of Emulators *very* well. If Cave Story is a must have, I should go for it. The GP2X is a pretty decent handheld with tons of games/emulators. Battery life is not very good and the pad is not great for complex movements in fighting games. You will not have a PSX, Dreamcast, N64 emulator that can be used in practice, but for most consoles and systems the GP2X is great.

To add to the chaos, I just want to emphasize that Cave Story runs and plays perfectly on the GP2X ;)
But as others say, it may be wiser to get the Pandora or the Wiz..

Well, the Pandora looks nice, but it's a bit more than I need. The GP2X's battery life wouldn't be a problem, as I'm a Game Gear user, so I'm used to it. Besides, my bus rides never go on for any longer than an hour or so.
Though you are right about it being somewhat outdated. I may look into the Wiz (As it would be awesome to play old SCUMM games too), Cave Story may need to wait, unless anyone with a Wiz wants to try it out and let me know if it crashes and burns or not.

Komaru said:
I've been longing for a way to play my favourite games on buses, car trips, and planes, so I've been looking into buying one of the Gamepark consoles.
But I'm torn- I've seen the Wiz run GBA, NES, and Mega Drive games at full speed, so I had my mind set on that. That is, until I discovered that Cave Story, one of my favourite games of all time, has a port available on the original GP2X.
Being able to play Cave Sotry wherever I go is like some kind of wild dream come true to me, but I'd also want to play games like Mother 3 and Rocket Knight Adventures, which I know handle great on the Wiz.
So I need your help. If somebody can confirm that Cave Story runs on the Wiz (which I highly doubt, considering it was made for the GP2X) then I'll happily get that, but otherwise I'd like somebody to tell me how various emulators perform on the original, and I'll purchase the GP2X F200 (because that analog stick is not for me).
Loads of thanks to anybody that can help!
~Komaru
(Also, I hadn't the slightest clue where to put this. If any moderators would like to move this, go ahead.)
Pay no attention to the people saying to get the pandora, it's been right around the corner for 2 years.
The gp2x f200 is fine for retrogaming and can be got used on ebay for well under 100. The stick on the f100 isn't analog, by the way. It's a digital controler, but few people seem to prefer it but most can get used to it.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
christo930 said:
Pay no attention to the people saying to get the pandora, it's been right around the corner for 2 years.
The gp2x f200 is fine for retrogaming and can be got used on ebay for well under 100. The stick on the f100 isn't analog, by the way. It's a digital controler, but few people seem to prefer it but most can get used to it.

Chris

lol didn't you read the news?, some people already got their own pandora (devs), plus everything is already done, we just have to wait to the chinese new year (so they ship the cases) to get the final ones.

as fot the f100's stick, as far as i know, it's an analog stick converted to digital

It really is a matter of what you want from a device. If you want some excitement PSX/Dreamcast/N64 and like to see some new developments and games then don't buy a GP2X. If you like scummvm and play GBA, NES, and Mega Drive games GP2X is excellent for that systems.
I have a GP2X F100 and F200 and can tell you the pad of the F200 is pretty decent and is great for Cave Story.

Frankly the most important reason for me to buy a Pandora is its keyboard. Something similar to the GP2X with a keyboard would have been okay by me.
If you have doubts, you might consider a Dingoo. Price is new probably as high as a second hand GP2X F200.

If you love cave story as much as I do, you should get the gp2x. It runs absolutely perfectly on it, cave story on the go is awesome!

The gp2x is great for homebrew and emulators also. Thanks to the attraction of the Pandora, the Wiz can't really do much more than the gp2x can. Nothing runs much faster and not much has been coded exclusively.

Maybe a Dingoo (as b_o_b already mentioned)?
I'm only posting other options as the GP2X is so battery hungry!

I've been playing mine for a few days and have already chomped through a bunch of batteries.

b_o_b said:
It really is a matter of what you want from a device. If you want some excitement PSX/Dreamcast/N64 and like to see some new developments and games then don't buy a GP2X. If you like scummvm and play GBA, NES, and Mega Drive games GP2X is excellent for that systems.
I have a GP2X F100 and F200 and can tell you the pad of the F200 is pretty decent and is great for Cave Story.

Frankly the most important reason for me to buy a Pandora is its keyboard. Something similar to the GP2X with a keyboard would have been okay by me.
If you have doubts, you might consider a Dingoo. Price is new probably as high as a second hand GP2X F200.

Dreamcast emulation isn't going to happen.

Back