Dedicated Pandora Forums

GunPei2X said:
IMHO this forum is more helpful than most "official" forums.
:gp2x .com no longer gives chance to download official devchain I craved for :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Stealth Bagel said:
craigix said:
You have made it pretty clear you don't like the pandora and also that you don't like the GP2X so... why are you here at all? A post like yours is just designed to cause trouble on one of the best scene forums on the net, why do it?
How the hell did you come to that conclusion?..... Did you even read my topic? I guess not.

I DO like the current ideas proposed for the Pandora and I look forward to it being a solid product. I hope that's still the case after a reputable reviewer not associated with gp32x or your company comes forward with a comprehensive analysis of it at which time I'd be willing to gladly pay the price you're asking for it as well.

For those of you who obviously missed the entire point, Craigix included, here it is again. This time please read more carefully. The Pandora seems fine. But tying a profesional product to an unprofessional forum is a bad idea.

Why? Well, suppose I'm some random Joe who buys a Pandora without knowledge of this forum. I have some problem with it and poke around for a solution and e-mail the manufacturer only to go without a response. I find the "Pandora forum" where I can only be helped by a bunch of fans and not the real personnel at the company who made it... and if they do happen to reply it'll just be because I got lucky and they saw my thread in the mess of other ones intended for general fan discussion.

The people behind this site owe you nothing. I'm sure there are good reasons that could explain the slowdowns and stuff. And if I remember well I've read something from you about Linux being some piece of crap...the funny thing is that I've been using Linux for many years now and I NEVER had any problem with viruses...Don't you think that the "poor security practices" could be from your side...

If this is the 'official forum' for Pandora, then the Pandora staff owe me support, just like any customer. And if their form of support is an unprofessional public forum, that shines unfavorably on them. As for security-- I keep my systems under tight lockdown but there have been numerous occasions under which these forums were comprimised due to failure to keep the software up to date, and as a result each page was equipped with an IE exploit so users of that browser would instantly be infected with malware. If something like this occurs I expect a REAL company standing behind a REAL PRODUCT will fix their support system being infected with malicious code and not leave it up to some entirely unrelated individual who makes no profit from operating the forum and has no business related, rather a personal inclination to do so and only his free time to work on it, not being on company payroll.

You could upgrade and restructure this forum, put the admin on payroll and have him dedicate real hours to it, and it will be a big start to do so. However in its current condition this forum is a textbook example of poor product support if it lingers after Pandora's actual release with no substitute.

*Edit: upon further reflection it seems to me the issue runs a little deeper than that. There's no reason software like emulators can't be publicized and discussed on a private forum like this one, however technical support, official announcements and other dialogue with the staff of the company needs to be somewhere separate and free of interference from the aforementioned factors. This would not be difficult at all to facilitate.

I understand you man, but like people said, there's no need yet. Is there even a company yet? I'm sure they'll have at least an email or something for support, and besides this forum we also have a wiki.

You seem to be under the impression that because they're making a product they need to host a forum. I don't know anything about these security issues that you're talking about, and I'm sure if there ever is an issue they'll host their own forum (if they don't when they release the Pandora anyway).

Also, I don't think you're right about the emulators and such. The Pandora's ability to run emulators is basically its key feature. I know we'll have homebrew and such, but in all seriousness, who here has a GP2X and doesn't run emulators on it? Yes, the Pandora has many other features (I plan on using it as an MP3 Player, web browser, word processor, to code, and probably more uses I can't think of offhand), but I do believe the key selling point is emulators. A similar question: Does anyone who plans on buying a Pandora not plan on playing emulators on it?

There's absolutely nothing illegal about emulators. Yes, their only real use (excluding testing homebrew) is to run roms, which 99.99% of the time are obtained illegally (yes, it's illegal to download a rom even if you own a real copy), but that's like saying paper should be illegal because you can use it to roll joints. Paper is obviously more useful, but you understand the point. It is not illegal to make, use, or advertise emulators. At least not in the US, but I don't think in any country.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stealth Bagel you need to take a look at how many threads actually get created on these forums. No doubt there will probably be a help forum so I don't see any threads going unanswered, plus they could get a reply from some of the beta testers (for the lack of a better word). Don't assume that a reply won't be received from the Pandora people.

Take a look at the Steam Support forum. I hop on there quite a lot and help people. It is rare that a thread goes unanswered and there are millions of Steam users; a lot of which make threads on that forum.

Back