Delayed?!

Yeah, what Jarska said. Why don't they just manufacturing 5000 of them, ship em out to those who preordered, then when they have another 5000 ship them out and so on.
Why the hell does having the full amount for everyone who ordered them automatically give the green light on shipping them finally?

Actually it's probably because they need more time with the firmware bugs since the above excuse doesn't make much sense as they could just trickle completed units to select suppliers like craig and gp32z.

Oh well. I'll just twiddle my thumbs for another few weeks more. <_<

I'm waiting to hear, the main problem is the massive demand, basicly the factory needs to be booked for a longer production run. Its likely that there may be a trickle of units in october and the mass of them arriving at the start of november.

On the flip side this does mean the console is looking like a big success!

-Craig

I can wait .... I still have tons of great games to play on the GP32 to idle my time ... then there's my DS and PSP as well as my GBA flashcart ...

Now what I really need is a 100-hour day to play 'em all!

craigix posted on Oct 13 2005 at 10:32 PM said:
I'm waiting to hear, the main problem is the massive demand, basicly the factory needs to be booked for a longer production run. Its likely that there may be a trickle of units in october and the mass of them arriving at the start of november.

On the flip side this does mean the console is looking like a big success!

-Craig

I think it will be a big sucess. I think it will even surprise them.

Kind of funny though. I was thinking that the GP2X is not all THAT much different than the GP32 was in its day. Yes it is faster and has more features but it is basically the same form factor, same screen etc. The point is that ALOT of the people here that are going mental over the impending release of the GP2X would have also liked the GP32 in its day but instead ignored it. There just wasn't the same buzz over the GP32 in it's time. I wonder what was different? Maybe the linux thing attracted more attention, it is kind of strange. Whatever is causing the GP2X to be popular I don't know but it is a good thing :) It is just a shame that the GP32 never got the attention it deserved ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Typical of the car industry too, often cars which are way ahead of their time are a failure, release almost an exact same car 10 years later and you have a massive success.

The masses are always slow to embrace something different.

Not me though, I love change. Its all good. Apart from the end of the Roman Empire, that was a bit ass for 600 or so years.

-Craig

I'm suspecting Linux and much better features and word of mouth. The GP32 started out with a closed set up and commercial games and evolved into the open mother of all portable hombrew it is today.

This is already that and looking to be even better so yeah I can understand a bigger fanbase.

craigix posted on Oct 14 2005 at 02:08 AM said:
Typical of the car industry too, often cars which are way ahead of their time are a failure, release almost an exact same car 10 years later and you have a massive success.

The masses are always slow to embrace something different.

Not me though, I love change. Its all good. Apart from the end of the Roman Empire, that was a bit ass for 600 or so years.

-Craig
How long have you been around?! :ph34r:

Craig, if you do get a small batch are you going to send them out in the order you received the preorders? I ordered like the second day I gp32z.com took orders. Um, I'm still kinda new, but from what I've read on the forums you are the gp32z guy right?

Thanx,
Stan

Ohh, OK, a little confused, sorry. How many places does GBAX ship out to? I'm thinking Craig will fill his preorders first, which is fine, an extra few weeks is OK with me.

Thanx,
Stan

DaveC posted on Oct 13 2005 at 11:37 PM said:
The point is that ALOT of the people here that are going mental over the impending release of the GP2X would have also liked the GP32 in its day but instead ignored it. There just wasn't the same buzz over the GP32 in it's time. I wonder what was different? Maybe the linux thing attracted more attention, it is kind of strange. Whatever is causing the GP2X to be popular I don't know but it is a good thing :)

I have pre-ordered a GP2x but passed on the GP32 mainly due to the memory format choice. SD is far more practical IMHO, linux is also a major drawcard for me, and I guess for some others?

Linux was a huge draw for me since I use it on my pc and know how easy it is to port from x86 to ppc. Also, I missed the GP32, I wanted one but didn't have enough money at the time, when I had the money it wasn't anywhere here in the US and I lost interest. Also, the lack of a working snes emulator was a downfall.

But there is no way I'm going to miss the GP2X like I did the GP32, every time I look at the games on the 32 I feel bad I didn't have one back then. I think attention will switch to GP2X after it's out and will have a huge user base as it's open and runs Linux.

Thanx,
Stan

joele posted on Oct 14 2005 at 03:06 AM said:
DaveC posted on Oct 13 2005 at 11:37 PM said:
The point is that ALOT of the people here that are going mental over the impending release of the GP2X would have also liked the GP32 in its day but instead ignored it.  There just wasn't the same buzz over the GP32 in it's time.  I wonder what was different? Maybe the linux thing attracted more attention, it is kind of strange.  Whatever is causing the GP2X to be popular I don't know but it is a good thing  :)

I have pre-ordered a GP2x but passed on the GP32 mainly due to the memory format choice. SD is far more practical IMHO, linux is also a major drawcard for me, and I guess for some others?

I guess the GP32 was close but not quite there for alot it seems. I was a bit sceptical before I got mine. Honestly though the memory format is not that big of a deal. It is not the best but not a show stopper. I bet people would have liked it more than they thought they would had they given it a chance.

Yeah the GP32 was a quirky thing. It was really a different experience from "normal" handheld consoles. The phrases "think different, be alternative" crap like that are so overused but I think it really fit the GP32 well.

Oh well looking to the future...

I think SD is a lot more convenient than SMC. The problem with SMC is that it's a ageing format that occasionally dies without warning and feels extreamly fragile. SD on the other hand might die one you but atleast it wont be because of the weather or something like that.

Iorgy77 posted on Oct 13 2005 at 07:54 PM said:
Remember the GP32 is five years old...

Wow is it really that old?! It doesn't seem like I've had it that long. but now that I think about it, it sorta fits.

Guess time flies when you're having fun (playing your GP32) :p

Back