Design discussion

Also a menu button, (and a Pandora button to trigger an overlay menu)

I think the current clamshell is wonderfull. However I always have this nagging feeling of thinking back to the Sharp Zaurus and feel that the screen should flip over and to be able to use it as a pda haha. I think in terms of design and build quality there is still nothing like those. An evolution out of the RD-CMP2000R and the Pandora would be awesome!
sharp_zaurus_1.jpg

had you not posted that picture I would have thought that was a stupid idea. But when I saw the picture my brain exploded. I want.

Also, if the screen could flip then those really weird designs people keep posting where the game controls show up on the sides of the screen would actually be viable and not stupid. Or at least it WOULD if not for the fact that doing so would elongate the devce into bizarre proportions, or cramp the game controls.

FLIPPABLE TOUCH SCREEN=GOOD FRACKING IDEA

Last edited by a moderator:
Sony Tablet P is an awesome design. :)

ap_sony_tablet_p_dm_120320_wg.jpg
no room for game controls and keyboard.

The sharp palmtop above would be wonderful, but would send both the price and the manufacturing complexity sky-high

With the new SoC the Pandora 2 could become a lightweight desktop replacement, so

a docking Port for docking station that has ports for

• chargeing
  • Video out (Displayport preferably
  • Audio out
  • USB - at least two, better three (mouse, keyboard, 1 spare - e.g. USB Mass Storage) USB2 would be sufficent
  • Ethernet
  • not really necessary, but could be nice: 1 internal sata port and room for a 2,5" hard drive , or maybe just another SD-Card Slot, as a internal sata would be unlikely to have in the SoC

would be nice

With the new SoC the Pandora 2 could become a lightweight desktop replacement, so

a docking Port for docking station that has ports for

• chargeing
  • Video out (Displayport preferably
  • Audio out
  • USB - at least two, better three (mouse, keyboard, 1 spare - e.g. USB Mass Storage) USB2 would be sufficent
  • Ethernet
  • not really necessary, but could be nice: 1 internal sata port and room for a 2,5" hard drive , or maybe just another SD-Card Slot, as a internal sata would be unlikely to have in the SoC

would be nice

This could be combined with the wireless expansion idea - A wireless dock would be awesome :)

metaltrim1.png

metaltrim2.png

metaltrim3.png

The things on the corners are shoulder buttons,

the flap on the back would hide sockets,

the conrols etc on the gfront would be the same as the current model

As usual awesome idea binky. Also love the iPhone 4 style metal rim. No r2/l2 buttons?

EDIT

Obviously I'm splitting hairs. :)

One of the points of the metal trim is to give the mental impression of a thinner device - L2/R2 are always a possibility :)

hi Binky, maybe the dock could have a similar design to the pandora´s design.

Like a rounded square base similar to a top down view of a pandora?

Just some ideas, maybe it integrates and complete each other visually as well as technically :)

Agree that P2 and wireless dock should match

I think the wdock should have a couple of internal USB ports, because of this, it could be exactly the same size as the P2 (and share carrying cases etc):

metaltrimdock1.png

Where the P2 has a lid and a scree, this has a second PCB (both are around 8cm square)

in the space leftover, there are internal USB ports and whatever you choose to put there :)

Also, there should be a Pandora logo on the lid

Oh, now I see it, sorry, I thought the gray disc was supposed to be the dock, didn´t notice it is the lower part of the console itself! :rolleyes:

The design is really great! A dock capable of hardware extension would really be neat.

I vote for Binkys design!! I like it straight. If you make it too ergonomically it looks wired. I hate Apple! but I must admit the iPhone 4 is awesome from a technical perspective. It just feels good even with the edged design.

I'd take an inductive AMOLED screen like the Samsung Galaxy Note even if its expensive as hell. Just the thought being able to draw on the Pandora like on a real graphics tablet makes me go crazy xD

Cintiq24HD_InUse_750.jpg

Wacom Cintiq 24HD

Just the thought being able to draw on the Pandora like on a real graphics tablet makes me go crazy

This would need some serious hinge design - would be awesome though :)

This was one of the reasons I suggested putting a screen on the expansion unit...

Just the thought being able to draw on the Pandora like on a real graphics tablet makes me go crazy

This would need some serious hinge design - would be awesome though :)

This was one of the reasons I suggested putting a screen on the expansion unit...

Being an artist, I love the idea, but this is inevitably a separate niche feature that would weigh down the pandora. I would much rather pay money for a device that exclusively catered to portable media and art capabilities than pay for one that just kind of attatched those features onto another thing entirely.

Granted, I love mypaint and pencil on the pandora but they are less than ideal, on the pandora, for my more professional needs. This screen idea sounds like something more suited for an arm based tablet thingy like binky suggested in another thread. Maybe one that wasn't focused on gaming and computer stuff.

the screen is only good for quick scribbleing.

Making the Pandora2 more like a slider with only game controlls is becoming more and more my favourite choice of design. I'm fine with a virtual keyboard. Also with multitouch and gyroscope etc. you could play even more games on the Pandora like the full range of Android games. ; )

ParadisoShlee said:

Back