Design discussion

Making the Pandora2 more like a slider with only game controlls is becoming more and more my favourite choice of design.
no. no-no.no.no.no.no.No! Because:

1. Pandora is not a pure games console
  2. capacitive touchscreens suck
  3. resistive screens need protection
  4. Onscreen keyboards are no good for serious typing

If you want an Xperia, buy one :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on usage - for navigating minimenu/pndmanager/etc they'd be fine

less good for desktop work (see point 1 above)

even worse for drawing

Do people agree with me that no future hinge should rely on friction to hold its position?

Having a tight fit between components so that they only move when forced.

Binky said:
Do people agree with me that no future hinge should rely on friction to hold its position?
a silide hinge will do

Binky']no. no-no.no.no.no.no.No! Because:
  • Pandora is not a pure games console
  • capacitive touchscreens suck
  • resistive screens need protection
  • Onscreen keyboards are no good for serious typing
yes yes yes because...

+hard front (gorilla glass)

+multitouch +++++!!

+pressure detection is way faster!

+higher resolution

+higher contrast /more intense colour /AMOLED

+very thin

+less energy consuming

I type on a big virtual keyboard way faster then on a Pandora. If you want to type seriously there is nothing better then a full sized keyboard.

Its really just a question of what you personally favour!

I can't type at all on a virtual keyboard, I *need* mechanical feedback of the edges of the keys ;)

Higher resolution is pointless, it's already a bit tricky to use the UI. Make everything smaller and add a touch-screen with crap accuracy? No thanks.

You can use AMOLED with resistive touchscreens too, but we don't want them because the blue component craps out after only a year or two.

EDIT: And what's so great about multitouch anyways? What would it ever be used for?

• capacitive touchscreens are often coupled with more up-to-date displays, and are therefore better than the same display behind a resistive touch layer
  • all multitouch displays use capacitive touch-sensing
  • Pandora is just a gaming device...
  • ...so nobody will be doing serious typing
  • hardly anyone buys a Pandora for the physical keyboard
  • there are no well-financed competitors, allowing OP to gain market share

Please apply a logical inverse to this post, which will not result in a paradox

havent seen any devices using resessive AMOLED screens lately. In fact are there any at all? Dont think AMOLED and pressure is a good combination. If I'm mistaken plz correct me.

slaeshjag said:
Higher resolution is pointless, it's already a bit tricky to use the UI. Make everything smaller and add a touch-screen with crap accuracy? No thanks.
You can use AMOLED with resistive touchscreens too, but we don't want them because the blue component craps out after only a year or two.
What speaks against higher resolution? Have you seen a high resolution screen like the one working in the iPhone4? Of course you need to adjust and resize icons or even make a bunch of new ones - no problem. For example remote desktop stuff would profit a lot because you could display more.

your finger is mostly to blame for the crap accuracy. I mean fingers in generel xD

Fortunately there are special styluses that can compensate. I doubt you are using your fingers to navigate in Pandoras UI. We already have a stylus anyway and don't forget the nubs being used as mouse alternative.

slaeshjag said:
EDIT: And what's so great about multitouch anyways? What would it ever be used for?
Games that require multitouch? zoom in; zoom out

Multitouch is an anti-feature which somewhat compensates for the lack of physical controls. The Pandora has physical controls, which are superior in 95% of all applications, and therefore does not need multitouch. There are some, mostly gimmicky, applications of multitouch which cannot be done easily with proper gaming controls (of which zooming is a poor example).

Disclaimer: 73% of all statistics are made up.

One problem I have is with styluses for capacitive screens:

mini_capacitive_touch_screen_stylus_pen.jpg

They are almost as clumsy as fingers.

A combination of huge offsets between where you touch and where it was registered at, parallax issues caused by the distance from the glass surface to the actual screen, and the inability to use any kind precise object with the screen made the last iProduct I used really frustrating.

I see Pandoria as a refuge for people who don't like what fashion offers - please don't take that away :unsure:

havent seen any devices using resessive AMOLED screens lately. In fact are there any at all? Dont think AMOLED and pressure is a good combination. If I'm mistaken plz correct me.

slaeshjag said:
What speaks against higher resolution? Have you seen a high resolution screen like the one working in the iPhone4? Of course you need to adjust and resize icons or even make a bunch of new ones - no problem. For example remote desktop stuff would profit a lot because you could display more.

your finger is mostly to blame for the crap accuracy. I mean fingers in generel xD

Fortunately there are special styluses that can compensate. I doubt you are using your fingers to navigate in Pandoras UI. We already have a stylus anyway and don't forget the nubs being used as mouse alternative.

slaeshjag said:
Games that require multitouch? zoom in; zoom out

The pandora is not going to run anything like iOS. And no, capacitive touch screens have crap resolution, end of story. And yes, I use my finger to navigate the UI.

Based on what you're talking about, I think you want a JXD or simlar generic Android device, not a packetable PC with gaming controls.

Caine said:
Multitouch is an anti-feature which somewhat compensates for the lack of physical controls.
why is that? touch/multitouch is a good (the best in my opinion) concept for controlling small devices such as smartphones. And yes I know that the Pandora is no smartphone. ; )

Binky said:
One problem I have is with styluses for capacitive screens:
mini_capacitive_touch_screen_stylus_pen.jpg
jep, thats a point I don't like about capacitive screens too - wired coloured styluses xD... lol They are designed to recognize fingers so the pens have to be finger sized xD

slaeshjag said:
The pandora is not going to run anything like iOS. And no, capacitive touch screens have crap resolution, end of story.
eh,.. one of the main reasons why I favour capacitive touch screens is the high rosolution. A high density makes things displayed on it nice sharp and crisp! Maybe some of you know if resistive screens improved in that field too?

slaeshjag said:
And yes, I use my finger to navigate the UI
then you should also be able to navigate with a capacitive screen.

slaeshjag said:
Based on what you're talking about, I think you want a JXD or simlar generic Android device, not a packetable PC with gaming controls.
nope, Android was just an example to back up my statement. Dont get me wrong I dont demand a capacitive screen! Its just my opinoin about what to change and how to improve Pandora2. Every type has its strengths and weaknesses. I favour desktop usage and the stuff I want to do profits the most from high resolution etc... . multitouch and Android are just a neat side effect to me.

thats why a capacitive screen has my vote! show me a resistive screen equal in the area thats importent to me and I'll gladly change my opinon ; )

Back