Design discussion

The touchscreen is separate from the display itself. And capacistive touch screens have worse resolution at actually picking up where your finger is.

I knew that capacitive screens had a seperate touch layer but somehow I thought it was different with recessive screens.

hmh well, now I don't care about the type of touch screen.. xD

but still... I wonder if you can mix everything so easily like for example AMOLED with recessive technology....?

Make the current clamshell design TOUGHER ( I love electronics but unless it's a super rare piece of retro hardware ie a famicom tilter I'm usually fairly tough on them It's just they'll be stuffed in a pant pocket with a neo geo pocket color , a 3ds , Ds phat a gameboy color , sega game gear , game boy micro a ton of random stuff like lock blades games a screwdriver chargers zipties ...) oh yeah back to my point if possible make it be able to emulate n64 with perfect sound fix nubs and then a expansion type thing similar to nykos shock n rock ( for the neo geo pocket )but with all the extra stuff people were asking for plus a internal battery so as not to kill the p2 preferbally this would be sold seperatlty so as not to hurt the price of the actual unit . sorry this was so long but I'm like this in real life 2 . Also I actually take good care of my handhelds it's just I can't choose just one to take on the road .

thats why a capacitive screen has my vote! show me a resistive screen equal in the area thats importent to me and I'll gladly change my opinon ; )
What area is it that's important to you? You mean multi-touch?

There are pros and cons to resistive and capacitive screens. A multitouch resistive screen costs only a little bit more than a capacitive one now (which is about twice as much as a single touch resistive screen, last I checked) so ability to use more than one finger should not be a factor when selecting resistive vs capacitive screens. You should be looking at accuracy, scratch resistance, things like that.

Capacitive can be mounted behind glass making it very strong (or weak, depending on your perspective); resistive needs to be able to flex slightly, made from a softer material it is more likely to scratch.

Capacitive tend to be much more responsive to light touches: resistive needs to be pressed, but a capacitive screen will trigger if you just lightly brush it. This can either be a good or bad thing depending on what you want. To me it's a bad thing but to each their own.

Multi-touch is not important to me, but if it's important to others I will not reject a multi-touch resistive screen. I will vote against a capacitive screen if the only reason given is for the ability to multi-touch, however. If you want me to vote with you on capacitive, convince me it is the superior technology.

metaltrim1.png

The things on the corners are shoulder buttons,

the flap on the back would hide sockets,

the conrols etc on the gfront would be the same as the current model

Replace each of the giant flapper triggers with two recessed buttons. R1, R2, L1, L2.

Screen should fill the lid.

Make the bottom purple section all battery - with two versions.

Thin @ 5hrs runtime and half thickness.

Thick @ 10+hrs runtime.

If the batteries could be stackable right on the unit - all the better.

Then I think you're on to something.

A couple of things to note: If I'm not mistaken Sony ran a Poll asking what OS a P2 should run, ie Linux, Android or both. The result was that people wanted a dual boot system. If we were to design a dual boot

Pandora 2 it goes to reason that the design needs to take into account the needs of Android Apps/Games , otherwise the Android experience won't be up to scratch. To fully support Android Apps/Games you would need IMHO a Capacitive touch screen along with a whole bunch of other spec requirements to support motion sensitive games etc etc. It would also need to open up to be used tablet style. These are the ramifications of supporting Android.

Food for thought.

There are many solutions to the above.

1) I had read somewhere that you can have both Resistive and Capacitive touch on a screen. Possible solution there, would keep everyone happy. Or you could have 2 screens one of each, perhaps a capacitive bottom screen sitting between the real controls and acting as a keyboard or custom game controls (like a razor, would be cool)

2) The motion sensitivity and camera should be cheap enough now to be built in.

3) Having a screen that folded back all the way around or slided up should give you a tablet style option .

4) There are Capacitive styluses now that give very good accuracy, they have pen tip looking , well tips. These are growing in number, if you have been following kickstarter , you would have seen several of these lately.

Anyway, the point is the design needs to take into account what people have previously voted on and then move forward from there.

panasonic-jungle.jpg

This is that failed jungle console from a couple years ago.

I think that the case should be something more ergonomic like this.

also regarding the flat keyboard, in my experience flat keys means constantly pressing the wrong letter and your fingers sort of wander because of the lack of definition between individual keys. so i think that the Pandora's current nub like keys are better.

Also a GB of ram and a faster processor even if that means a fan and less battery life. also running some form of linux so it doesn't need an anti-virus program. As long s its not Windows based, that would be blasphemy :)

Also a GB of ram and a faster processor even if that means a fan and less battery life. also running some form of linux so it doesn't need an anti-virus program. As long s its not Windows based, that would be blasphemy :)

Pretty much anything that would need a fan for cooling would eat up a 14.8W-h battery (Pandora 1 battery) in around an hour. Unless the device were made bigger, to allow for a bigger battery...

Last edited by a moderator:
panasonic-jungle.jpg

This is that failed jungle console from a couple years ago.

I think that the case should be something more ergonomic like this.

also regarding the flat keyboard, in my experience flat keys means constantly pressing the wrong letter and your fingers sort of wander because of the lack of definition between individual keys. so i think that the Pandora's current nub like keys are better.

That Panasonic Jungle looks really rugged.

Another good point about that (^) is that it has way more style to its case than the current pandora

I feel a sketch coming on :) ...

pandora2roundedconcept.png

the hinge would be the sort where the bottom of the screen drops below keyboard level as you open it, as found on many laptops

The speaker triplets would be to provide more volume than would otherwise be available with such small units, and those three circles are start, select and pandora

this has a 5" screen and is smaller than the current pandora because of its rounded sides

Pretty much anything that would need a fan for cooling would eat up a 14.8W-h battery (Pandora 1 battery) in around an hour. Unless the device were made bigger, to allow for a bigger battery...
If you are clever about it you can get away with thickness. If you have beveled edges it will seem thinner. You see that allot in gadgets these days. For example the origional nintendo DS was built so that it looked like the lid was really thin when in reality it was an inch thick in the middle

If you are clever about it you can get away with thickness. If you have beveled edges it will seem thinner. You see that allot in gadgets these days. For example the origional nintendo DS was built so that it looked like the lid was really thin when in reality it was an inch thick in the middle

The fan itself would also take up a ton of space, that's definitely unavoidable.. OPT says this is going to be smaller.

But something with substantially more memory and CPU power than Pandora isn't going to need active cooling. Pandora doesn't even have passive cooling.

^ I sopose your right. Isnt the iPad supposed to have some really powerfully processer? That doesn't need any sort of cooling.

Thinner is definany better though. As long as it still has a little weight to it though, I don't like stuff thats so thin and light that it feels like it would snap in your fingers:) I'd rather hold a brick than a box made of tissue paper.

Back