Developers: What's Your Job?

Hitnrun

Well I was thinking that it would be fun to know what the great developers on this forum work with when not programming for fun like in here!

I work along with 2 more people on my own company, we implement our Content Management System, and we make our own Digital Signage software (the programs that control that plasma screens you see on shopping centers, markets, airports, etc). We just won a business plan competition in Taiwan, and now we are talking with possible investors, but this is not an easy task here in Brazil, this culture is not here yet.

We area also having talks about participating in the new Brazilian HDTV setup box programming, which uses the brazilian-developed Ginga programming language (XML+Lua).

Embedded interoperability development engineer (taking something apart, analyzing its workings in detail, and then trying to build something compatible without copying anything from the original)

Superhero. I shan't say which for fear of revealing my identity. Lets just say, when you call me and I don't turn up you can be assured that I'm busy fighting crime. :p Well someone was going to say it as some point.

edit: ps. Apologises if I have ruined the meaning of the thread. In the words of the Waterboy,' If you'll excuse me ladies, I think I'll just go hang myself.' B)

The company I work for develops software for streaming DVB-T/S and analog signals over UDP multicast, along with software for recording and tuning those streams. We also do simultaneous presentation and video webcasts.

I operate a giant CNC lathe in a factory making hydraulic seals, primarily for Caterpillar.

gangsta
gun1.gif

I manage a group of technicians at a dial-up ISP. (yeah they still exist)
I have a lot of downtime so I actually have universal freedom to pursue my ideas on the job. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have the ability to back up my desires. I'm sure in time this will improve. :)

Squidge said:
Embedded interoperability development engineer (taking something apart, analyzing its workings in detail, and then trying to build something compatible without copying anything from the original)
So, basically you're a Retro-engineer like Ben Affleck from Paycheck - except without the amnesia.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of us actuallky do handheld developme3nt for obscure devices for a living ;)

I also moonlight in telecomm infrastructure ;)

jeff

Not really a job, but it sure feels like one. I'm a 2nd year UNI student majoring in Mathematics, Theoretical Physics and Mechatronic Engineering.

I operate a giant CNC lathe in a factory making hydraulic seals, primarily for Caterpillar.
Cool, CNC lathes are awesome. They can build some really intricate stuff. We use one to build parts for the UNI SAE racecar.

Software Design Engineer for Electronic Control Brake Systems
Basically our device (ECU) keeps your car going where you want it to by controlling the brakes.

Pickle said:
Software Design Engineer for Electronic Control Brake Systems
Basically our device (ECU) keeps your car going where you want it to by controlling the brakes.
Not my car! :p

I drive a classic Mini.

Squidge said:
You sound like the perfect emulator writer ;)

nickspoon said:
The company I work for develops software for streaming DVB-T/S and analog signals over UDP multicast, along with software for recording and tuning those streams. We also do simultaneous presentation and video webcasts.
Not bad for someone so young as you. If I remember correctly you're 2 years younger than me so you are merely 16 :blink: , Go you!

Adventus said:
Not really a job, but it sure feels like one. I'm a 2nd year UNI student majoring in Mathematics, Theoretical Physics and Mechatronic Engineering.
By the time I got to Physics I had already decided that is the most awesome degree I have ever heard of but then I read MECHATRONIC! The word oozes pure awesomness! You sir are nothing short of a God!

Me is student on fifth year on future proffession of Teacher of Computer Science (I do not know how to correct display it in english's education terms)

Back