Development Bounties

mvickers03 said:
@ Gizmo a lot of people have said about USB crashing.. what actually happens? mine works fine USB pen drives and HDD's. My main 16GB card reached it's write threshold so when I first got the Pandora I used a USB drive to put all my PND's on it worked flawlessly it even puts the icons on the desktop which surprised me.

not the proper thread but oh well, when disconnecting something, and trying to connect something else, dmesg says couldnt enumerate device at port 2, then no response from usb whatsover, its like the chipset crashed?
no matter what device you plugin you wont see anything new in dmesg or lsusb, ist dead until youve shutdown and powerupped again (reboot wont work, you need to cut the power completely).

It might have something to do with usb 1.0/1.1 and USB 2.0, I'm still doing some tests to confirm that.

Last edited by a moderator:
joseluisjazz said:
· Setting up a "Development PND", that includes compilers, version control systems access tools, misc dev tools, and that opens up a console, to have a quick easy way to develop and compile right in the pandora.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54508-simple-dev-pnd/page__pid__878473__st__15&#entry878473

Tripmonkey_uk said:
Support for graphical plug-ins in emulators (mostly N64 and PSX emulators) using OpenGL and the hardware + the sound through the DSP too.

Adventus's gles2n64 already uses OpenGL ES 2, and therefore the hardware. I don't understand why you said the N64 emulator didn't have it.

Anyways, the ones I would like the dev fund to go to, in order of priority are:
  • Working Flash plugin
  • Working Suspend to RAM (and maybe working Suspend to disk)
  • More improvement on Mupen64+. I would love to see Ocarina of Time running without sound and graphical problems. (Especially since the sound is really jumpy atm)
  • Online, adhoc, and normal multiplayer support for popular emulators like Mupen64+, PSX4pandora, Picodrive, and SNES9x4d4p
  • USB Gamepad support in the popular emulators. (And the ability to tell two of the same type of gamepad apart; I noticed this in Picodrive, but I'm not sure if it is a problem with the emulator or the system)
  • mplayer plugin for browsers
  • PNDs for the web browsers that do not write to NAND at all
  • Vimperator for Fennec, with keybindings made to fit the Pandora.

-God Ginrai

In my opinion it would be better to invest in creating nice IDEs (on the pandora itself and for windows/linux/osx) along with top quality documention and examples of how to use the more advanced features. That way the work will benifit the pandora for longer than just a single really nice program or flashier gui's.

Hardware accelerated (DSP?) (H264?) video playback

low power music player mode

Consistent menu keys for emulators

keyboard/-pad optimised frontend with game list to launch the emulators

working standby

We should have a vote page with the better ideas.

God Ginrai said:
Tripmonkey_uk said:
Support for graphical plug-ins in emulators (mostly N64 and PSX emulators) using OpenGL and the hardware + the sound through the DSP too.

Adventus's gles2n64 already uses OpenGL ES 2, and therefore the hardware. I don't understand why you said the N64 emulator didn't have it.
I never said that it didn't have it, please don't go putting words in my mouth.

I was just saying that all the emulators that can use hardware support (for both video and sound), should have it. That's all!

I'd say focus on things like sleep mode which affect most people first before getting into anything particularly niche. Unless it's quick to do. Admittedly not having a unit of my own, it's hard to know what to ask for, but I do think that sleep mode would be good, as would hardware acceleration for youtube.

tony11@hotmail.com said:
@jumpman, a working Daphne would be so sweet, and an impressive show of what the Pandora can do. The only worry is that some of the laserdisc roms can be as big as 3 or 4 gig, it will soon eat up your space on the SD card. But hell if they can bring out dragon's lair on the ds, then surely a daphne emulator or a port of dragon's lair/space ace would be sweet :D
I've got 2 32gb sd cards, and one is on reserve for Daphne, so I'm hoping someone can port it.

I actually contacted the creator a few years ago, and he was trying a GP2X port, but the system was just to underpowered, and he gave up. I then offered him a Pandora to try again, but he no longer wanted to hassle with any handhelds. I'm sure the source is available, and Matt is very friendly in regards to helping folks out. So maybe someone can grab the torch and go!

I have the DS version, and it is a good translation, but the vid quality sucks ass. I don't like to play it for that one reason. I have a demo of the united coders DS version, and it is was way better. I wish Digital Leisure had gone with that port versus a download(limited size)dsi ware version. The iphone version is very good, as is their space ace. Very good vid quality, all though the touch screen isn't perfect, it works well.

Cliff Hanger, Dragons Lair 2, and Badlands would rock big time. :lol:

Chris

I would like to see pandora running the newest linux kernel asap instead of patches for the current one that doesn't support dynamic CPU scaling.
This should increase battery life substantially and save time rewriting patches later on. The N900 lasts about 9 hours on a 1350 mAh battery so pandora should last a bit more then 15 hours on 4250 mAh.

greendots said:
I would like to see pandora running the newest linux kernel asap instead of patches for the current one that doesn't support dynamic CPU scaling.
This should increase battery life substantially and save time rewriting patches later on. The N900 lasts about 9 hours on a 1350 mAh battery so pandora should last a bit more then 15 hours on 4250 mAh.

I thought the Omap alrady autoscaled itself? I can get 12 hours or more out of my Pandora.

- suspend to ram: If there would be a good bounty for this I would work on it :p
- On-DSP MP3 player (100 h of playback :p)

greendots said:
This too :)

Basically get everything utilizing the hardware like it should be doing anyway. A lot of the Pandora's power is lost due to missing software at the moment and there's no point in putting money into new software if the base isn't solid IMO.

USB slave/mass storage on the OTG, so a PC can see at least the Pandora SD cards

Flash

XMBC is already being worked on for BB, http://xbmc.org/topfs2/2010/05/24/beagleboard-project-for-gsoc-2010/ - but if this dude needs any extra incentive

Other OS, like the Ubuntu Netbook Launcher or Meego

Wine/QEMU at 90mhz speed

DSP code for emulators and the system for audio/video, or some cash to Zottd, Ari64, and Adventus if it'll help them improve PSX and N64 emulation (besides what they already should get!)

Tripmonkey_uk said:
God Ginrai said:
Tripmonkey_uk said:

I never said that it didn't have it, please don't go putting words in my mouth.

I was just saying that all the emulators that can use hardware support (for both video and sound), should have it. That's all!

I'm not putting words in your mouth. You said that you wanted hardware support and listed PSX and N64 as examples. That is suggesting that those emulators lack said support. If you don't want people to interpret you differently than what you mean, then make sure that you type what you mean.

-God Ginrai

mali said:
^ I haven't seen info about it yet, got a link?

Notaz or Skeezix mentioned that we're switching to a newer kernel. I don't have a link for that, sorry. I read it on here about a week ago I think? It'll probably be in the next firmware version.

^ Cool, thanks for the info, I must have missed it :)

@post below
Thanks! I skipped that thread, doh.

Link:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54137-pandora-hotfix-pack-2-for-zaxxon/page__view__findpost__p__871779

GizmoTheGreen said:
It might have something to do with usb 1.0/1.1 and USB 2.0, I'm still doing some tests to confirm that.

Hmmm strange. I never got that error. I did use USB2.0 pen drive and only reconnected the same device so I guess I need to do more tests. I'll let you know in the next few days :)

Back