Development

darkportrait

Still Fresh
hello i would have applied for dev unit awhile ago but i never got around to it and i was now wondering if i am to write my project i have in mind how would i test it out? is there away i could get one of these units? becuase i have knowledge in c++ and am wanting to make games for this beauty of a console/unit but can someone how to test out my code!

and can someone send me some docs on programming this unit

Dev units are only available to people working on launch software.

If you want to make games, you'll probably have to wait in line like the rest of us. ;)

I believe there were threads somewhere about coding for the Pandora. I'm sure someone will link them.

Last edited by a moderator:
First make sure you're familar with g++ [get something like MinGW or MSYS installed, assuming you're in Windows]

Then learn SDL and maybe later try OpenGL.

You'll have plenty of time to worry about platform specifics when you get your Pandora.

There's already an SDK available which you can use to cross-compile for Pandora from another platform. You can also set up a qemu emulator to actually execute the Pandora kernel, Ångström image, and executables. Info about the SDK as well as the qemu setup is available in other threads. There's possibly still an open question of how to get your newly-built executables installed into the qemu emulator setup.. or at least I saw that question yesterday IIRC.

1. lulzfish makes a good point, you can be actively working on your project using gcc and uclibc on a x86 platform and just recompile it when you get your pandora.
2. Most Linux distros have some soft of cross-compiling software and/or documentation to get cross-compiling to work. That tied with the qemu emulator you probably can get a "dev" system to work via emulation on a x86 platform. Checkout codesourcery's toolchain and/or look for the pandora angstrom build guide.
3. You can get a BeagleBoard or Gumstix which is a close enough platform that anything that compiles on either of those will work also on the Pandora.

Back