which devs should get an MK0

• Pickle

Votes: 57 79.2%
  • Ari64

Votes: 57 79.2%
  • Other (Nominate and vote later)

Votes: 22 30.6%

• Total voters

Well, units are being sent to DJ, Cpas and Notaz with more on the way once Michael builds some.

A lot of people already have units with CNC/FDM cases too. The only real advantage of these new ones is the hinge is in and they have the final nubs/keypad.

Asmo said:
Chip said:
Hopefully, when one does go to Engadget, I'll be accompanying it personally.

Wouldn't bubble wrap be cheaper?
I'm only about 15 min from their NY office. Considering how complex the Pandora is, and how important a good review is, it might be beneficial to have someone there to answer questions and explain features.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
Well, units are being sent to DJ, Cpas and Notaz with more on the way once Michael builds some.

A lot of people already have units with CNC/FDM cases too. The only real advantage of these new ones is the hinge is in and they have the final nubs/keypad.

I think that the team has this pretty well under control. The posts about 'me first' and trying to have the community dictate this - it's silliness.

IMHO

Senor Quack has done some great ports for the GP2X and also done a lot of important work to get Open2x released. If he has time to do some stuff for it then he definitely gets my vote.

In general: give it to the devs that have proven they are able and willing, but only give it when they have some free time to spare.

kaprikawn said:
Polossatik said:
VRAndy said:
I propose that a Pandora be given to the first admin to disable polls on this forum.

+1

Amen and +2

no room for polls while nothing to do, really i said its just while we get our pandas (at least it was better than gerald's flamewars)

bah, just forget it, i wont update the options and ill let it die.
any moderator around , feel free to lock this up.
really this board is getting more and more pointless,

Press? I would obviously nominate myself, based on my rather well ranked and extremely popular (for such a niche product) Dingoo A320 review.

The trouble is, I've already bought one.

Also, Engadget? Seriously? Really? *spits* Why their puerile copy-and-paste craphole gets the attention it does completely eludes me. Just hand one in person to a more thorough, informed and deserving journalist *cough* and Engadget will plagiarise.. I mean link to it anyway.

WoD said:
Press? I would obviously nominate myself, based on my rather well ranked and extremely popular (for such a niche product) Dingoo A320 review.

Also, Engadget? Seriously? Really? *spits* Why their puerile copy-and-paste craphole gets the attention it does completely eludes me. Just hand one in person to a more thorough, informed and deserving journalist *cough* and Engadget will plagiarise.. I mean link to it anyway.

Engadget has a TON of readers, and they're very supportive of the Pandora ("they" meaning Engadget, not the readers, but maybe some of them, too). I think an Engadget review would be a great thing, especially if Chip's there to talk with them about it and explain stuff. They could probably do a very informative overview of the Pandora; maybe they'd do a spread about it more than a "review", as it's not a major "retail" project.

WoD said:

Would you rather give one to Gizmodo? *shudder*

atomicthumbs said:
WoD said:

All their articles on the panda are really cynical & generally shitty in attitude, I don't get it. Perhaps they don't like it simply because engadget does (wouldn't put it past 'em).

Vorporeal said:
Engadget has a TON of readers, and they're very supportive of the Pandora

Heat Magazine has a TON of readers. I'll let you think about that for a minute.

Engadget aren't supportive of the Pandora, they're supportive of traffic. Which, on their enormously advertising endowed site, makes them a crap ton of cold, hard cash. This is why they write an actual review about 1 post out of every 50,000 and the rest of the time they simply parrot press releases or summarise sites with ACTUAL CONTENT and make a whole buttload of cash with nothing a tiny, weeny little credit link going to the source.

I play the Engadget game, like any other writer trying to wrench a mediocre trickle of web traffic away from these disgusting corporate aggregation services. Engadget is basically Google Reader, without the need to find and add feeds yourself. *spit bletch cough gargle fume*

I also don't place any advertising, at all, on my Open Source section. Sure, I link over to the folks at Proporta for Dingoo A320 cases... but you know why? Because they're good looking cases that fit the Dingoo pretty well. Do I make anything from it? Not really. My endeavours are fuelled by nothing but passion for gadgets.

atomicthumbs said:

You make a fair point.

Engadget has a good international coverage. I don't think it's relevant if Engadget is "good" or "bad". If they feature a Pandora review it's a good thing for Pandora IMO.

i like many others found out about the community and the pandora through engadget and considering the amount of interest good and bad it has given the project i think it would be good to see a more high profile and final response from them on the device. if its good enough for sony, microsoft and apple then i think its good enough for the pandora. its one of the few products still keeping AOL buoyant (if you can call it that) so it must be good. besides, i cant think of many other tech blogs that has quite the same readership. not only that, the unit will go around various places for sure. one unit can over a week go to various blogs. its really about deciding where to start since its moot to ask whether engadget will one day see one.

Instead of Engadget, how about Ars Technica? I'm sure one of their writers would be willing to review it.

WoD said:
I play the Engadget game, like any other writer trying to wrench a mediocre trickle of web traffic away from these disgusting corporate aggregation services. Engadget is basically Google Reader, without the need to find and add feeds yourself. *spit bletch cough gargle fume*
I'm sure you put a lot of effort into your blog, but you really can't complain about Engadget "stealing" your audience. You're not only not in the same league, you're barely playing the same sport. You only have eight posts so far this month, and four of them are three sentences or less. Your only review is of a baby walker. Engadget already has eight posts up so far today, and it's Sunday. They generally have 30 or more new posts on a weekday. You can't honestly believe that if Engadget vanished tomorrow, people would start going to you directly for all their gadget news.

If anything, high-volume aggregators like Engadget and Gizmodo are the best thing that could have happened to small blogs. At least this way, if one of them reblogs one of your reviews, millions will read it and many will follow the link back to your site. Without that, your chances of acquiring traffic on your own are slim. People go where the news is.

Hirolaser said:
Surely you'll want a first batch unit to port Temper?

I can get someone else to do it for the time being; it'll be a quick port. I got it working on a Pandora board when I had one and I have a few defines already in place for it.

Back