Did The First Launch Of The Gp32 And Gp2x Have Hardware Problems?

spardasieg

Still Fresh
Im asking because I might wait out on the Wiz, how realible is this company on launch?

Im asking because Im getting this from someone on another board(gamefaqs)

"Every GP2X I have owned (3 different models) has had some hardware based problem or another, and I really dont expect the Wiz to be any different at launch or even after the inevitable Mk2 "fix" screws up something that wasnt wrong in the process of fixing something. That and all the frustration I have seen the hoembrew devs express over the past few years at how GamePark Holdings held back information that was needed for the system to be truly open sourced sort of tempers my excitement for that system right now.

Still, the homebrew community of that scene is very solid, and if the people working on MAME port it over to it, it will be a beast for arcade emulation at the very least.

I am more excited about the Pandora by a damn big margin at this point because I have a hell of a lot more faith that it will have any hardware problems addressed and really be an fully open sourced machine. And with people like Exophase seemingly very much on board with it through its entire stage of development, I think that is going to be the system that turns out to be the go to system for me for emulation.

I'll still probably get both at some point, as I am sure even if one gets favored by the current GP2X community, the other will get its share of ports and such."

Here is the whole topic: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage....;topic=45208292

That bit was from the 5th page.

Im still conflicted if I should get a psp or this, I mean from you guys experiece does the psp play snes and neo geo games just as well? I might get the 3000 model or the wiz...

I bought a GP2x not long after its' launch and my only complaint is that the stick isn't great but even that hasn't really hampered my joy when using it. I think some people just suck badly at games and blame it on the GP2x stick...

If emulation is your thing, Wiz will be your best option for three reasons:

- Significantly more powerful than PSP
- Better screen for emulation (in terms of resolution)
- Arguably much better community, with easy access to the developers, a mature and helpful crowd

As for first release issues, I was a late GP2X adopter so I only know what I've read in these parts. There were some initial hardware issues, something that does happen with first releases. I get the feeling that the Wiz will be better, but no one can really know this until the first big run comes off the production line.

Does the Wiz have a good warrenty?

Also I heard you can play ps1 games at full speed on the psp, I know this might be possible on the Wiz but is it a sure thing and if so I hope it does not take a year to release...

spardasieg said:
Does the Wiz have a good warrenty?

Also I heard you can play ps1 games at full speed on the psp, I know this might be possible on the Wiz but is it a sure thing and if so I hope it does not take a year to release...
1. If you buy it from GP2x.co.uk I believe you get a years warranty.

2. You'd have to ask Zodttd about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one of the first wave GP2X and it came dead, wouldn't turn on, so I sent it back, it only cost like 10 bucks and I got a new one really quick. In the end I don't really regret buying a first wave, it all worked out in the end. If there is a problem with the first wave of the Wiz it will have a return policy I'm sure, and you just send it in for a new one. I usually wait for reviews on hardware though, just to see if it's something I want. I want one of the Dell eee notebooks, but I'm waiting for a review to make sure it's something I want. But I wouldn't hold back getting one because of the possibility that something will be wrong with the unit you receive, it will come with a warranty, so send it back if it doesn't work.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes.

I wouldn't let it deter you if you are OK with shipping it back. I hear Craig has very good customer service, he stands behind what he sells.

The only real trouble with the GP2X boiled down to a crap joystick (off-the-shelf), a poor quality headphone socket, and a niggle with the screen. They fixed pretty much all of these on the next release.

The OLED screen shouldn't have problems, there isn't a crap joystick, and there are 3 revisions of GP2X with a solid heaphone socket.

I wouldn't worry about the Wiz, it should be fine. If it isn't you can probably get your money back or a replacement. Worst case you sell it on ebay and lose a little money, not too bad.

I have had my GP2X f-100 for a while and have had no problems with it at all. I have to admit that I probably do not use it as much as most people on the forums.

zxxgp said:
I have had my GP2X f-100 for a while and have had no problems with it at all. I have to admit that I probably do not use it as much as most people on the forums.
If it is an F100(B) those are quite sturdy, not much trouble with them, especially when you use it lightly :). I had a pre-order unit, and a couple MK1 units, also a MK2 (I preferred the viewing angles on the MK1 units, even with the screen timing issues.)

Yeah, like I said, don't be afraid to get it because it might have hardware problems, you'll be covered for that.

I've been using my GP2X a lot lately for music, and it was a very good investment. I watch TV episodes on it also, and for that it's a very good investment.

The Wiz is the 'next' GP2X and I'm sure GPH with put everything they learned from the GP2X into it. I'd think that you'll be happy with it if you get it, so if you have the money go for it.

second exodous said:
The Wiz is the 'next' GP2X and I'm sure GPH with put everything they learned from the GP2X into it. I'd think that you'll be happy with it if you get it, so if you have the money go for it.
I think them listening to our D-pad and headphone complaints is proof of that :)

Yeah I guess you guys are right, plus I dont really want to deal with the firmware crap on the psp 3000.

Plus I found a 16gb SD on newegg for like 40 bucks, Im sure that can hold all my junk I plan on filling this thing with lmao

Does Playasia have the same warrenty? I got a 10 dollar coupon from my last purchase plus they sell a screen protector for it which I really want.

second exodous said:
Yeah, like I said, don't be afraid to get it because it might have hardware problems, you'll be covered for that.

I've been using my GP2X a lot lately for music, and it was a very good investment. I watch TV episodes on it also, and for that it's a very good investment.

I second that. I am sure GPH would not make the same mistake twice and Peter R made a good point that they are listening to the community.

I got strange pixel problems on my F100 MK2 model:
Few last pixels (most bottom row, right on screen) is do not show colors intended to. Instead they repeat colors of some others pixels on the screen.

IMHO much worse is software problems. Like great control lag of standart frontend after GPFCE or PicoDrive with usb gamepads or slowdown using dynamicaly linking SDL libs after VideoPlayer (2.1.1)

I'm playing save on this one. I will be an early Pandora adaptor, but certainly wait until reviews and more news appear when the Wiz arrives.
Still don't really trust GPH, they are to closed to be trustworthy.

Peter R said:
Oh yes, a Gruso says, the community here is far better on the whole ;).
like preparation H!

Oh, and truth be told I feel that the original GP32 was quite well built, maybe some people will disagree with me, but the truth is that I put all my GP32's through hell and I still have a few kicking around...

I got an mk1 f100 gp2x the christmas after it was released and only had minor issues with it. Mainly a problem with the speakers still playing with the headphones on. This only occurred after a few months and later revisions fixed this. I sent it back (it was bought from gp2xstore.com, then gp32z.com) since it had a year warranty and never had any more problems.

So basically at worst you'll have a small issue but any decent store you buy it from should have a year warranty. Still, like others have said they've (GPH) learned from mistakes in past and haven't had any hardware problems since then.

my f100 is still going strong with no issues (gave it to someone else) and I also have a f200 that feels solidly built and never had any problems.

My F100 Mk2 had a dead battery LED.

Normally, I'd be a bit miffed at this with a mainstream product, but I bought my GP2X knowing the GP2X was a niche machine and had some tech "issues". Strangely I've been very forgiving of the machine and apart from the LED, the thing has been the best gadget Ive owned.

The Wiz looks to be more and better, so far.

I'll be holding off on the Wiz until the first hands-on reviews are in... just in case.

Back