Did The First Launch Of The Gp32 And Gp2x Have Hardware Problems?

second exodous said:
I remember the GP2X was reviewed really fast, I bet the Wiz will also.
More like videos and gloating and 6 new topics a day as people received their units :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanna be one of the gloating people but I dont want to fall into the test units people as I like to call them lol...

Hopefully people get to it quick :)

spardasieg said:
I wanna be one of the gloating people but I dont want to fall into the test units people as I like to call them lol...

Hopefully people get to it quick :)
The test units are already out with people now ;)

spardasieg said:
Oh well thats good, Dont see much complaining on the boards.
They wouldn't though, NDA and the prospect of getting the next new gadget would stop them.

What reports there are from them are positive. But they are devs, they don't need buttons or even a case to do their work.

Gruso said:
If emulation is your thing, Wiz will be your best option for three reasons:

- Significantly more powerful than PSP
- Better screen for emulation (in terms of resolution)
- Arguably much better community, with easy access to the developers, a mature and helpful crowd
Items 1 and 2 may not really be true.

I am not sure if it is any more powerful than a PSP. The PSP has alot of custom GPUs and co-processors that take a load off of the CPU. The Wiz just has a higher clock. You would have to also look at memory speed and access between the two. The 3D capability seems to be much weaker on the wiz than the PSP.

The PSP screen now is a bit ghosty but the new 3000 one promises to be alot better. Resolution is no issue when comparing the PSP to the wiz. When comparing the GP2X to the PSP the resolution thing was true. A game running 1:1 on both systems had a larger image on the GP2X than the PSP due to resolution and screen sizes. This really doesn't hold true with the Wiz vs PSP. The Wiz screen being so small means that running a game at 1:1 will now actually give a bigger image on the PSP even with the border.

DaveC said:
Gruso said:
If emulation is your thing, Wiz will be your best option for three reasons:

- Significantly more powerful than PSP
- Better screen for emulation (in terms of resolution)
- Arguably much better community, with easy access to the developers, a mature and helpful crowd
Items 1 and 2 may not really be true.

I am not sure if it is any more powerful than a PSP. The PSP has alot of custom GPUs and co-processors that take a load off of the CPU. The Wiz just has a higher clock. You would have to also look at memory speed and access between the two. The 3D capability seems to be much weaker on the wiz than the PSP.

The PSP screen now is a bit ghosty but the new 3000 one promises to be alot better. Resolution is no issue when comparing the PSP to the wiz. When comparing the GP2X to the PSP the resolution thing was true. A game running 1:1 on both systems had a larger image on the GP2X than the PSP due to resolution and screen sizes. This really doesn't hold true with the Wiz vs PSP. The Wiz screen being so small means that running a game at 1:1 will now actually give a bigger image on the PSP even with the border.

I see...How ghostly is it? Ds lite bad? There isn't any ghosting on the Wiz?

spardasieg said:
DS lite is not ghosty, the old PSP was though. Sony is comming out with a new PSP that fixes the ghosty screen.

The Wiz has an OLED screen. While they don't last long they don't ghost either. OLED screens have a much faster response time than an LCD. There should no be any ghosting at all. There could be flicker though. Because the OLEDs are so fast, they won't buffer any refresh rate issues. LCDs can mask flicker somewhat (not totally) as they react so slow that they kind of blend it in.

DaveC said:
spardasieg said:
DS lite is not ghosty, the old PSP was though. Sony is comming out with a new PSP that fixes the ghosty screen.

The Wiz has an OLED screen. While they don't last long they don't ghost either. OLED screens have a much faster response time than an LCD. There should no be any ghosting at all. There could be flicker though. Because the OLEDs are so fast, they won't buffer any refresh rate issues. LCDs can mask flicker somewhat (not totally) as they react so slow that they kind of blend it in.

Okay, Firstly, stop posting unsubstantiated rumours. Noone but you believes in this short livedness of the OLED display and do you even own anything that uses an OLED display? Is it failing? When you can back this up then and only then should you bring it up again.

My angle was that for emulation of old systems, a 240x320 screen is far better (in my humble opinion). I'd much rather run things at their original resolution without scaling/filtering, and it's better when said resolution takes maximum advantage of screen real estate without pillarboxing.

Point taken regarding PSP processing power. Are homebrew/emu devs fully able to take advantage of this though?

DaveC said:
spardasieg said:

The Ds is very ghostly actually, I have one, its horrible....gives me headaches, all my friends ds lites are also like this.

Its come to a point that I hate playing certain games on it.

The GP32 and GP2X both had hardware issues, but they usually had workarounds and I didn't regret buying either of them at the time. The old folded paper under the shoulder button trick on the '32 and making a custom stick cap on the '2X worked wonders.

I have a First Edition GP2X and I've never had a single hardware problem with it yet... even after dropping it several times. I know a lot of people complain about the stick but I've not had a problem and I'm even using the original "mushroom" cap, which I actually prefer. If the Wiz is as reliable as my GP2X has been for me then it will be quite an amazing little handheld... and one I fully intend to buy when my bank account says I can.

Peter R said:
Okay, Firstly, stop posting unsubstantiated rumours. Noone but you believes in this short livedness of the OLED display and do you even own anything that uses an OLED display? Is it failing? When you can back this up then and only then should you bring it up again.
"No one but me" huh? "Unsubstantiated rumours"? Where do you get your talking points? Do you just make them up based on your own wishful thinking?

http://www.sharpsma.com/Page.aspx/americas...68-7a52cae8fa1e

"It is particularly difficult to drive the blue colors where the luminance efficiency is very low. As a consequence, the lifetime is reduced, and burn-in is also an issue. "

http://www.audioholics.com/education/displ...-ila-crt-page-9

"OLED Display Disadvantages
Short life expectancy (especially blue)
Differing life expectancies for each color resulting for potential of color shift over time (needs to be controlled via electronics)

Currently prototype-only for larger screen sizes - most OLED displays are for portable devices "

http://digidelve.com/oled/problems/
"each color on an OLED ages at a different rate, the display will undergo a dramatic color shift well before the lifetime of the display is reached. Whites can become yellow even within the first thousand hours."

And I could cut and paste more. Consider it "backed up" ;)

DaveC said:
Peter R said:
"No one but me" huh? "Unsubstantiated rumours"? Where do you get your talking points? Do you just make them up based on your own wishful thinking?

http://www.sharpsma.com/Page.aspx/americas...68-7a52cae8fa1e

"It is particularly difficult to drive the blue colors where the luminance efficiency is very low. As a consequence, the lifetime is reduced, and burn-in is also an issue. "

http://www.audioholics.com/education/displ...-ila-crt-page-9

"OLED Display Disadvantages
Short life expectancy (especially blue)
Differing life expectancies for each color resulting for potential of color shift over time (needs to be controlled via electronics)

Currently prototype-only for larger screen sizes - most OLED displays are for portable devices "

http://digidelve.com/oled/problems/
"each color on an OLED ages at a different rate, the display will undergo a dramatic color shift well before the lifetime of the display is reached. Whites can become yellow even within the first thousand hours."

And I could cut and paste more. Consider it "backed up" ;)

Quotes I noticed:

"Eventually have capability of being physically flexible or rollable (LEPs)"

-Much cooler the fruit rollup if you ask me.

"DigiDelve’s proprietary Ageless OLED solves the problem of differential aging and increases the useful lifetime for a typical OLED display to well over 100,000 hours."

-What about that?

Don't feed him when he gets like this (for the record I agree technically, not practically, with him on this).

I can't wait for DLP laser TV's to happen and become affordable, been in 2 walmarts lately and the LCD aisle makes me want to puke, LCD is so crap (the plasmas looked incredible, but I know about the short life), and DLP with a HID lamp is just asking for a $300 bill every year (depending on usage).

I don't know if DLP rear projection could become a possibility, it would be neat if your handheld could origami into a 7" screen and then back into something Wiz sized for your pocket using this tech.

Really? hmm I always liked the quality of LCD better then plasma...I love the samsung ones.

Eh guess everyone has there preferance.

Back