DigDug didn't score me AGAIN!!!

Hm, then it's something skeezix needs to take a look at, maybe he's got some idea.

Did anyone else have issues with Dig Dug?

Tested DigDug and indeed 2nd game wasn't registered. Maybe you should delete the hi file too. As far as I know c4a shouldn't remember your scores and in this case it does. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Digdug should just be taken off c4a, until it can be made to work right.

Who the hell wants to have to delete a damn file every single game?
Yeah, I agree. I haven't played it since the first time, once I found out about this "bug".

Chris

It's registered my score every time once the digdug.nv file is deleted first, I'm guessing that the expected score location is borked if it has begun directing the scoretable to the present nv file on exit?

I dunno.  I never tried deleting the hi file too, if it even makes one.  I will look and try that.

still, though, having to delete a file/files every single game IS a bit of a pain in the ass.

But I LIKE DigDug, so I WOULD like to see it stay...but I'd also like to see it work right.  and working right EVENTUALLY includes not having to delete files every game.

EDIT:  It does not make a .hi file.

I once again deleted the nv file.

THIS time, just for giggles, and because I could think of nothing else...I edited the advmame file where your dip switch settings and control settings are, and took out all the settings for digdug, so that it would default back to everything normal.

It still did not score me, so even THAT is not it.

I had a different button set for my "pump" button than the standard default button, and I thought that might have something to do with it, but it doesn't.

With the "pump" button back to default, I only managed 28,000 (I like a different button for "pump") - but it did not score the 28,000 either.

So now I'm totally at a loss, even THAT had no effect.

And there is no .hi file.  The ,nv file was deleted just before starting.

The last thing I am going to try is also deleting the nv file that is in PanMAME, see if that matters.  After that, I'm totally out of ideas.

EDIT:  Even that did not matter.  Still no scoring.

It CAN'T be just me!!

Tested DigDug and indeed 2nd game wasn't registered. Maybe you should delete the hi file too. As far as I know c4a shouldn't remember your scores and in this case it does.
Had you deleted the digdug.nv file before playing the 2nd game, that didn't register? If your score persisted (in the in-game scoretable) this would suggest the nv file was still present - try deleting digdug.nv in the c4a-mame nvram folder, and see if you get the same problem as Kumaki.

Well, I delete the file every time.  and no score!   Nothing I try works.  NOTHING.

Calmer language substituted - Binky

Yes, seems to work fine now if I delete the nv file. Also there is no hi file after playing c4a. The program does write hi files to the card, but deletes them after playing. That doesn't happen to the nv file. It seems strange that the DigDug score is saved as an nv file though, because I don't think that is not how PanMame does it. I tested the hi file just like the other games.

Pretty sure we have enough info now for Skeezix to solve it :)  

I hope so, because this is driving me NUTS, b_o_b!  It seems like I can't do it no matter what I try...and other people can.

In either case, one should not HAVE to delete files every single time to get a new score, anyway, at best it is a pain in the ass...at worst, you end up with someone like me, for whom it does not work, and who thusly gets cheated out of high scores.

The fact it did score you once is odd though. I would definitely try putting a fresh install of c4a on another card, with just Dig Dug, and seeing if that works for you (of course, you'd still need to delete the nv file).

Speaking of weird issues, has anyone else played Ghosts & Goblins recently? I had a game today and it didn't register my score! Gremlins!

Hadn't tried.

I still want digdug to be fixed right.

And by someone who knows what the heck they are doing.

do not ask me to do all sorts of expirimental things about which I know nothing.  Just fix the problem and get back to me when it is done right.

I do not know what I'm doing when I start messing with things I do not understand, and I have no idea what anyone is trying to prove asking me to do things I don't understand...and which could maybe screw up my profile.

I mean, even if it DOES work on a different card on a different install (assuming I could do it without screwing my profile) how does that help me or anyone to solve the problem on the main card?

Hadn't tried.

I still want digdug to be fixed right.

And by someone who knows what the heck they are doing.

do not ask me to do all sorts of expirimental things about which I know nothing.  Just fix the problem and get back to me when it is done right.

I do not know what I'm doing when I start messing with things I do not understand, and I have no idea what anyone is trying to prove asking me to do things I don't understand...and which could maybe screw up my profile.

I mean, even if it DOES work on a different card on a different install (assuming I could do it without screwing my profile) how does that help me or anyone to solve the problem on the main card?
Nobody really understands the Compo4ALL spec except skeezix Kumaki. People are trying to help the project (including yourself) and would like a solution. Just wait for skeezix to get in thread but I'm guessing he's busy with real life stuff.

Just a question of priorities .. I don't look into .nv at all right now; its possible hi-to-text does and/or is flaky.. We use that system for a lot of games to save me redoing all their work... But it is flaky sometimes.

So, given a limited time budget .. What do i work on first?

I choose new c4a build with faster sync cycle :)

I need to check play stats .. Is our playerbase or number of plays declining? It might be we are reduced playcount as novelty wheres off? Membership driving is hard given limited pandora ownership..

Maybe i need to get desktp and r-pi prioritized...

Jeffphone

Just a question of priorities .. I don't look into .nv at all right now; its possible hi-to-text does and/or is flaky.. We use that system for a lot of games to save me redoing all their work... But it is flaky sometimes.
I don't know the internal workings of c4a but it seems strange that I have tested the hi file for DigDug in PanMame, score is captured in that hi file and suddenly in c4a the hi-score is saved as nv file and no temporary hi file is created for DigDug. 

So, given a limited time budget .. What do i work on first?

I choose new c4a build with faster sync cycle :)
As you already mentioned before, this is needed to be able to solve the 'continue issue'. That is also high on the feature requests list, so I think a good choice.

I need to check play stats .. Is our playerbase or number of plays declining? It might be we are reduced playcount as novelty wheres off? Membership driving is hard given limited pandora ownership..

Maybe i need to get desktp and r-pi prioritized...
Personally I don't think desktop or r-pi should be a priority yet unless you are hoping to get help from other developers from those communities. IMO in the current state the software doesn't scale very well. 

But of course it is your project and your free time, so you should do whatever you like :)    

Improving the sync speeds is probably a good idea.

It prevents me from currently using C4A, because it's annoying having to wait a minute when you quit a game before you can play the next.

Might be a reason for others as well.

I was going to bring that up.  Weird that, in PanMAME, there is a .hi file for digdug...but not in C4A!

Back