Dingoo Total Newbie

kulak4

Still Fresh
Hi everybody.
I had a little break from reading this forum, now I'm back and what do I see? Dingoo? Wiz? WTH?
I read some articles and posts. Now I've got a little better overview to the situation, but I still have some questions about...Dingoo (as mentioned in the topic title).
I have GP32 and GP2X F100. After reading some posts it seems, that Dingoo is a good and not very expensive alternative to GP2X. I would like to have another GP2X to take it wherever I want without worrying about loosing it (or something like that). But on eBay there are a little auctions and F100 is still very expensive (and rare, the price hasn't changed at all during this...1,5 year?).
I have an option to buy Dingoo for ~66 pounds (in my country, PL), but I'm still confused.
Let's get to the point.
1. Does Dingoo have all emus which GP2X had?
2. Does FBA and MAME work like they did on GP2X (so very smooth with sound, many games playable)?
3. Is "basic package of emus" like NES, SNES, MEGA DRIVE, SMS, C64 and other working fine?
4. Does Duke Nukem 3D work on Dingoo (saw it on YT)?
5. Is Dingoo "user-friendly" (I'm not much of a IT guy)?
6. What is this all Dingux about? Is getting emus to work on Dingo as easy as it was on GP2X (just copying to the SD card without worrying about "coding stuff")?
7. Are there good games which use 3D engine (are they even worth of mentioning? Saw "7 days" game, looked good...)? Are they free?
8. Dingoo looks VERY cheap and downmarket (at least on the photos). Is it really that bad (GP2X seems to look MUCH better)?
9. I'm not sure but does this Dingoo have an accumulator (instead of battery using)?
10. Does Dingoo have a "hole" in it's case (to make a hanging from it)? GP2X had it...
11. Dingo uses European voltage, right (althought it's produced in...China?)?
12. Is Dingoo half of size of GP2X (looks much smaller)?

Sorry for asking so many (and probably stupid) questions, but I have to be SURE, that I'm spending this 66 pounds in a proper way.
Regards.

Hello, I am going to be a bit biased although I still like my GP2X and GP32 :)

1. Does Dingoo have all emus which GP2X had?
No, but new ones are still appearing and there is already enough for months of fun.

2. Does FBA and MAME work like they did on GP2X (so very smooth with sound, many games playable)?
Only tried mame a bit and it looked okay (for older games).

3. Is "basic package of emus" like NES, SNES, MEGA DRIVE, SMS, C64 and other working fine?
Of the basic package GBA is almost perfect, NES is very good, CPS is very good.

4. Does Duke Nukem 3D work on Dingoo (saw it on YT)?
It does and looks great (does not play that great due to the controls, keyboard rules in this case).

5. Is Dingoo "user-friendly" (I'm not much of a IT guy)?
It is okay even for a girl that knows only a little about computers. Easy for a standard PC user.

6. What is this all Dingux about? Is getting emus to work on Dingo as easy as it was on GP2X (just copying to the SD card without worrying about "coding stuff")?
It is not that simple, but still easy enough and documented in some readme files. Copy it over and do
a bit of editing, not much, really.

7. Are there good games which use 3D engine (are they even worth of mentioning? Saw "7 days" game, looked good...)? Are they free?
7 Days is part of the "basic package" along with a few other games. It looks nice, but lacks the polish
of the famous games like the Resident Evil or Alone in the Dark series. Still a nice one.

8. Dingoo looks VERY cheap and downmarket (at least on the photos). Is it really that bad (GP2X seems to look MUCH better)?
It looks cheap in the pictures, but looks pretty nice in real. I was surprised how fine it looked when I first saw it.
Well built and at such a great price..

9. I'm not sure but does this Dingoo have an accumulator (instead of battery using)?
It has a built-in battery, you can charge it either from an outlet (might need a converter) or using the USB cable.

10. Does Dingoo have a "hole" in it's case (to make a hanging from it)? GP2X had it...
Don't think so, but I am not utterly sure.

11. Dingo uses European voltage, right (althought it's produced in...China?)?
Yeah, you just might need a converter.

12. Is Dingoo half of size of GP2X (looks much smaller)?
No, but it is smaller and slimmer. For the price it is really a must.

Thanks WhiteFalcon, you rule :)
But I still have some question I forgot to ask (sorry ;D).
1. You haven't mentioned anything about MEGA DRIVE/GENESIS and SNES...Is the situation so poor? Or MD works great (it even did on GP32) and SNES is average?
2. Regarding FBA and MAME: I'm not sure which games are considered as "old", but I would like to play AvP, Cadillacs n Dinosaurs, Knights of The Round, King of Dragon, Street F. Alpha, Warriors of Fate, Punisher - these are emulated on CPS1/2, but what about D&D (both), Vendetta, Alien 3: The Gun, Terminator 2 etc? I saw a movie on YT and Warriors of Fate on Dingoo worked rather slow (20 fps?) - strange. To be honest: I want these mentioned titles to work perfect (like on Gp2X).
3. Probably games like Die Hard Arcade do not work on Dingoo (FBA or MAME)? I missed some time of GP2X predomination, but it has never got 3D games on arcade emulator...
4. Is Dingoo weaker than GP2X? Video of Quake 1 on Dingoo shows, that this game runs slower than on GP2X...

I ask so many questions, because I don't want to buy Dingoo and then discover it does not fulfill my (high) expectations.
Thanks in advance.

EDIT:
5. What about ATARI ST and/or Amiga emus (ATARI ST was even available on GP32)?

You are welcome :)

1. You haven't mentioned anything about MEGA DRIVE/GENESIS and SNES...Is the situation so poor? Or MD works great (it even did on GP32) and SNES is average?
The built-in Genesis emulator sucks, especially because of tearing. On the other hand, PicoDrive has been ported so all your Genesis/SegaCD needs
are fully satisfied :) (requires Dingux though)

2. Regarding FBA and MAME: I'm not sure which games are considered as "old", but I would like to play AvP, Cadillacs n Dinosaurs, Knights of The Round, King of Dragon, Street F. Alpha, Warriors of Fate, Punisher - these are emulated on CPS1/2, but what about D&D (both), Vendetta, Alien 3: The Gun, Terminator 2 etc? I saw a movie on YT and Warriors of Fate on Dingoo worked rather slow (20 fps?) - strange. To be honest: I want these mentioned titles to work perfect (like on Gp2X).
I tried MAME again yesterday (just for you! ;) ), but there was only Shadow Dancer in there and two older games. The older ones worked fine,
Shadow Dancer was playable too, although without sounds and music. The games you mention are newer so I guess it would not be too good if
it worked at all. But some of them would work in the built-in CPS emulator, which is pretty good and fast. If those you want do not work
at the moment, there is always hope they will in the future :)

3. Probably games like Die Hard Arcade do not work on Dingoo (FBA or MAME)? I missed some time of GP2X predomination, but it has never got 3D games on arcade emulator...
You are too much into arcade games for my taste, cannot help you there.. But I agree these probably will not work.

4. Is Dingoo weaker than GP2X? Video of Quake 1 on Dingoo shows, that this game runs slower than on GP2X...
It is not, it is faster with better controls and much better display. It just does not have the long history like the GP33 or GP2X
so there is not as much software for it (yet).

I ask so many questions, because I don't want to buy Dingoo and then discover it does not fulfill my (high) expectations.
Thanks in advance.
Buy it :)

EDIT:
5. What about ATARI ST and/or Amiga emus (ATARI ST was even available on GP32)?
An Atari ST emulator has been revealed, but I have not had time to test it yet. Guess it will work fine.
Amiga was promised to us by Craig, but nothing has appeared as far as I know. It could work okay on many games,
not fullspeed, but okay. But don't count on Amiga on Dingoo.

Seems the best place for me to ask some similar questions. I'm looking at buying a Dingoo for a nephew with very little computer experience. It'll be pretty much solely used for NES/SNES emulation. Are the built in NES/SNES up to much or is it easy to replace them without changing things like the OS? Cheers.

NES is perfect i´d say, SNES not really. Good enough for Super Mario World though, but frameskipping. Dingux is not hard to install and the lots of mostly superior emulators are a good reason. There´s now also TV-out in Dingux. :D

Back