Dingoo Vs Gp2x (only For The Next 3 Months)

I read somewhere that performance wasn't so crash hot. Got a link to any post about Ruckages' stress test?
There are figures from a while back that indicate that the wiz is not anywhere near twice as fast as the gp2x.
CODE
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=46502&st=0

Of course the wiz will outperform the gp2x. As it should being newer gear. But given the clock speed and the gpu, the improvement isn't that great.

Last edited by a moderator:
The original Wiz benchmarks were artificially low due to various issues, most of which have been resolved. The mmuhack specifically sped things up quite a bit. recent performance numbers are closer to what you would expect them to be based on clock speed: ~ double GP2Xperformance.

'sold' said:
I read somewhere that performance wasn't so crash hot. Got a link to any post about Ruckages' stress test?
There are figures from a while back that indicate that the wiz is not anywhere near twice as fast as the gp2x.
CODE
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=46502&st=0

Of course the wiz will outperform the gp2x. As it should being newer gear. But given the clock speed and the gpu, the improvement isn't that great.

I have with me two Wizzes. I have run the tests myself.

Edit: These tests provided game like scenarios and not emulator ones. Maybe emulators will suffer from some bottlenecks more.

'Peter R' said:

Edit: These tests provided game like scenarios and not emulator ones. Maybe emulators will suffer from some bottlenecks more.
What games are they? I pretty certain that no homebrew game is going to push the WIZ to its limits and unless the same games are run on the A320 its not possible to get an accurate comparison. What are you comparing the two WIZs for against each other?

'Chip' said:
'chad78' said:
is the Dingoo A320 related to the Gemei X760+? I read that they use the same software, and have very similar specs. Anybody used both or compared them side-by-side?
They're definitely not identical, though they do appear to be binary-compatible. The x760+ has a larger display and the whole device (and therefore, board) is significantly larger. I can't find exact specs on the x760+, but I've also seen some posts like this one ( dingoo-scene.blogspot.com/2009/04/yi-chi-king-fighter-great-little-native.html ) that indicate x760+ apps will run on the A320, so the chips must be very similar if not identical.
Thanks Chip, do you (or anyone) know if the A320 is faster than the X760+? Basically I'm just trying to figure out which is the better value. I've found them both for basically the same price (in the mid $80s). From the specs I've found online, the X760+ has a 400 MHz CPU. Does anyone know the clockspeed of the A320?

chad78 said:
Thanks Chip, do you (or anyone) know if the A320 is faster than the X760+? Basically I'm just trying to figure out which is the better value. I've found them both for basically the same price (in the mid $80s). From the specs I've found online, the X760+ has a 400 MHz CPU. Does anyone know the clockspeed of the A320?
The A320 defaults to 380 or 400 (reports vary), but it is reliably overclockable to 430MHz. I'm fairly certain the 760+ uses the same JZ4732 SoC as the A320. The only real differences boil down to these:

760+ has a larger display

A320 has better controls (real d-pad and has shoulder buttons), smaller size, and better battery life.

Other than that, they're functionally the same machine.

The A320 is the nicer machine for gaming for sure.

(i'm talking about the 760 vs. the a320 here)

Thanks much, Craig and Chip.

Sorry for all the trouble I caused back in the day. Rough time for me and this place was a release valve for my garbage. No excuse, just an explanation. I sincerely apologize to you both, and to everyone else on here.

Best of luck with the Pandora and the iControlPad.

'DisgruntleElf' said:
'Peter R' said:

What games are they? I pretty certain that no homebrew game is going to push the WIZ to its limits and unless the same games are run on the A320 its not possible to get an accurate comparison. What are you comparing the two WIZs for against each other?

I said nothing of that which you mention. Games easily can reach the potential of the console, my own game doesn't run fullspeed in the final levels on GP2x but does on the Wiz for example. I said I have two Wizzes, not that I compared them.

'Peter R' said:
I said nothing of that which you mention. Games easily can reach the potential of the console, my own game doesn't run fullspeed in the final levels on GP2x but does on the Wiz for example. I said I have two Wizzes, not that I compared them.
Sorry. My bad! Misunderstood.

Chip said:
The original Wiz benchmarks were artificially low due to various issues, most of which have been resolved. The mmuhack specifically sped things up quite a bit. recent performance numbers are closer to what you would expect them to be based on clock speed: ~ double GP2Xperformance.

No, there were no "various issues", there was just the mmuhack one. I can't speak for everyone, but applying mmuhack most certainly did not make the app I've ported, Temper, twice as fast. The improvement was less than 50% still (over a 200MHz GP2X, with the Wiz at 533MHz - all fair play). The Wiz version is as optimized as the GP2X version. This is without doing any kind of work around for 240x320, but using 320x240 mode.

I'm quite concerned about sudden claims that a large sample of people are finding the Wiz to be 2x as fast with their applications. I'd like to see the parameters of these tests and the actual numbers.

At first, after seeing few videos of Dingoo on youtube I was very positively surprised by the capabilities of the device.
But then I saw this:
20090428_different_dingoo_builds_in_the_wild_(dingoo_misc).png

So.. the battery is soldered to the board. Hmm.. where have I seen this before.. oh yeah, my old cheap chinese MP4 player.
Too bad some chip in it has tosted after a month of usage.

So, my question is as follows: is the hardware of Dingoo a quality-made, or is it some cheap chinese MP4-like one, so I can expect it to get burned after few months of usage?
It's pretty much a thing that holds me from purchasing it.

If you can send me the source code, I could try and build it for OMAP3 over the weekend and see what I get there. Let's see how Pandora at 630MHz compares to that EEE PC at 630MHz. :) Let's hope that Youtube video that compared them holds up!

The portable source is included in the readme.txt file in the downloadable zip archive :) !

But you can also get the ported source from my svn ( svn://zwischenwelt.org:20684/dingoo/dingoobench ), but i think the included source is better to use. You just have to add a gettime function before and after the process and subtract time2-time1 and display the difference (therefore i wrote comments in the code).

Regarding the original question of whether a Dingoo is preferable to a GP2x for the next 3 months... personally I'd say no. I have thought about getting a Dingoo but I'm going to leave it for at least another 3 months to see a ) how the scene develops and b ) whether Dingoo continue to support it or whether they just do the usual Chinese PMP trick or releasing a new model every 15 minutes.

If you are literally going to use the thing for 3 months then never use it again a GP2x would give you a back catalogue of games, emulators and apps that would probably take you more than 3 months just to work through and is the obvious choice.

John

gp2xs posted on Apr 16 2009 at 08:21 PM) In many situations the Dingoo is more convenient to use than the Gp2x. The Dingoo is a solid media player with built in battery that lasts a long time. The Dingoo has a functional Dpad. The Dingoo has a small(er) form-factor. The Pandora costs more than the Dingoo. The Dingoo has a small(er said:
form-factor.

If the Dingoo got some proper emulator/software support it would hold its own against the Gp2x and the Pandora.
dingoo has 2 buttons pressed at one issue
d-pad isnt that good for SF2 kinda games...
mega drive emulations just plain sucks

gba emulation rocks....
cp2 and ng require work by user :)

but ill give my gp2x to lil bro and keep the dingoo :) hopefully someone will make mame for it (wink @Franxis)

Back