Directx Mobile

But I think the problem is Linux doesn't have DirectX support and Wine would need to be ported to ARM, and it would need an x86 emulator to run the executables on top of(ala DarWine). Goodbye, performance.

You might as well port the games to OpenGL; it would probably be less of a daunting task, and you'd get better results in the end.

Game_over said:
Check the Imagination site, I think the PowerVR chip was going to be compatible with DirectMobile, I can't quite remember if that was the case or what, but It did say something in the factsheet.
Yes, correct. You can get to it via WM5 and above. Unless someone gets the hardware details or ports WM5 or above to the pandora, you can't use it.

It would be good with WM5, you can play one of the very few games that use it. (It's not popular by the way.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Megatog615 said:
But I think the problem is Linux doesn't have DirectX support and Wine would need to be ported to ARM, and it would need an x86 emulator to run the executables on top of(ala DarWine). Goodbye, performance.
No, isn't needed. We are not talking about emulating anything, we are talking about porting the source code, and winelib is what we are looking for: winelib is a library done by the wine developers to help porting windows apps to linux. It's a linux native library, it doesn't emulate anything, it's only a library very similar to the windows api.

Efegea, you look familiar to me... Are you from stratos-ad forums?

That winelib sounds very good, I will look it :)

Gammenon said:
Efegea, you look familiar to me... Are you from stratos-ad forums?

That winelib sounds very good, I will look it :)
Stratos? No, I've only posted there once, searching for help for a game I was developing, but I have never been there any more.

I'm from gp32spain :D

efegea said:
We are not talking about emulating anything, we are talking about porting the source code, and winelib is what we are looking for: winelib is a library done by the wine developers to help porting windows apps to linux. It's a linux native library, it doesn't emulate anything, it's only a library very similar to the windows api.

Yes that would work, but you would still pay some runtime price for going from DX/D3D to OpenGL ES 2.
On top of that I don't think wine supports OpenGL ES 2...

Back