Directx Mobile

Gammenon

Still Fresh
Hi!

I am looking for this project some months ago, and all I can say is: keep working and finish the machine soon! :D

My question is: will Pandora have support for DirectX Mobile? And, does anybody know what is the current status of DirectX Mobile library (discontinnued, in good health, etc)? I searched a little bit but I didn't find anything :angry:

Thanks in advance :)

EDIT: Well, I realized that, if Pandora will not run a Windows family OS, it will be a little bit hard to use DirectX...

Gammenon said:
EDIT: Well, I realized that, if Pandora will not run a Windows family OS, it will be a little bit hard to use DirectX...

Indeed :)

Last edited by a moderator:
namco said:
Doesn't WINE use DirectX?
Wine itself provides a DirectX implementation that, although it has a few bugs left, should run fine. Wine supports DirectX 9.0c at this time. Plans for DirectX 10 are underway. B)

I don't think WINE will be an option to this guy. But seriously, DirectX blows, we have OpenGL ES 2.0, what more could you ask for? It would be nice to be able to port all those directX games and apps that are out there with source but I wouldn't trade linux for directX support.

icurafu said:
I think they are thinking about porting apps that have DX7 3D graphics.
i thing i will port maybe 1-3 good games that use DirectX
i see no proleme as long as i make a good DirectX wrapper ;)

Argor: How much work is involved in that? Is it something that requires a lot of code modification or do you write the wrapper and then use it with other code, too?

xnopasaranx said:
Argor: How much work is involved in that?

to write a good wrapper a lot of work is needit
but i have to atmit that it will be fun to make the wrapper ;)

xnopasaranx said:
Is it something that requires a lot of code modification

i have to say it depents on the code some times a lot of work is needid some times litel or none is needid

xnopasaranx said:
or do you write the wrapper and then use it with other code, too?
most of the time you can use the wrapper whit other code

There are already a bunch of opensource directx to opengl wrappers. A lot of these have x86 asm, but atleast it will be a good start for mapping from functions from one api to the next.

If it is DirectX 7 or below, you'll be better finding out how to get access the mobile d3d hardware from linux.

icurafu said:
If it is DirectX 7 or below, you'll be better finding out how to get access the mobile d3d hardware from linux.

You'd need the hardware doc for the SGX and I don't think Imagination will make them available :(

It isn't just the Direct3D wrapper, it is also DirectSound, DirectInput and the more important Direct3DX with its various image format loading, optimized math functions, etc.

Too bad, sounds like the effort is way to huge. Maybe someone finds a way to do it anyways. I doubt it will be a one man job though... more like a community effort ^^.

xnopasaranx said:
Too bad, sounds like the effort is way to huge. Maybe someone finds a way to do it anyways. I doubt it will be a one man job though... more like a community effort ^^.
i will be maken a Directx wrapper as it will save me lot of work in the long run
please note that this wrapper is not my 1 Directx wrapper ;)

icurafu said:
There are already a bunch of opensource directx to opengl wrappers. A lot of these have x86 asm, but atleast it will be a good start for mapping from functions from one api to the next.
i will start from nothing for me it is faster and more fun ;)

Laurent said:
icurafu said:

You'd need the hardware doc for the SGX and I don't think Imagination will make them available :(

i have the hardware doc for the SGX
i did a job some time a go and i did get them for the job

Gammenon said:
It isn't just the Direct3D wrapper, it is also DirectSound, DirectInput and the more important Direct3DX with its various image format loading, optimized math functions, etc.
i nou it is just shorter to say DirectX wrapper ;)

Megatog615 said:
OpenGL 2.0 is much better than DirectX 7. Why would you ever want to use DirectX 7?
because you can port games that use it then!

@argor: great! I guess you can't make the source open then, though. I was thinking that the community could pitch in and donate some money for the license fee otherwise or however one would be able to get the docs for money... If you can pull this off, I guess we'll have another guru candidate :D

Check the Imagination site, I think the PowerVR chip was going to be compatible with DirectMobile, I can't quite remember if that was the case or what, but It did say something in the factsheet.

xnopasaranx said:
because you can port games that use it then!
How effective could DX work onto the Pandora? Much slower than coding sraight in OpenGL (ES) or Pandora direct Hardware acess etc... or same speed or maybe faster?

Back