Discussion about SPM / Repo (Split from other topic)

S

StreaK

Seems a bit spammy to force users to use your own software to get the PND.

Hmm.. thanks for comment. As usual it was very helpfull. :)

Keep on going with SpecBas & FMN. Dont mind using SPM, if you dont like..

Last edited:
Well, for those of us without working wifi on the pandora, it is an even worse solution than the FB wall :p

streak is a lone wolf kinda guy, doesnt want to forced to be part of the norm!

@streak instead of a seperate package manager why not just get your site to output the relevent jason data that existing package managers can access? that way your packages and the repo packages will appear in the same package manager?

streak is a lone wolf kinda guy, doesnt want to forced to be part of the norm!

Thats right, since 'norm' says nothing. Milkshake's Repo was created when norm was apps.openpandora.org

@streak instead of a seperate package manager why not just get your site to output the relevent jason data that existing package managers can access? that way your packages and the repo packages will appear in the same package manager?

Maybe, maybe.. when i shape SPM into form what it should be in my opinion.

At the moment there's a lot to do:

http://omploader.org/vY3VmMg/spm2.png

Seems a bit spammy to force users to use your own software to get the PND.

Hmm.. thanks for comment. As usual it was very helpfull. :)

Keep on going with SpecBas & FMN. Dont mind using SPM, if you dont like..

I don't mind using a package manager, but as I don't use Wifi on my Pandora (as another poster commented) there's no way to get your apps at all. It's a shame, because Worker is one of my favourite file-managers.

D.

Well, for those of us without working wifi on the pandora, it is an even worse solution than the FB wall :p

Sorry, but SPM will not install your hardware wifi :) . If you like cripled pandora, its your choice..

If you don't want to get any WiFi, then I recommend to at least get a USB ethernet adapter as it greatly increases the ease and usability of managing PNDs.

[edit]

In my opinion, SPM is a massive improvement over the facebook wall.

I retract this statement at least until the spyware issue has been clarified/resolved.

[/edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
My choice is to primarily let other preorderers get their pandoras, rather than to send mine in for repair and thus grab a functioning board. I will have my wifi fixed as soon as EDs production is stable.

"Yo dawg, I heard you like repos! So I put my repo in another repo, so you can download after your download."

Xzibit-Yo-Dawg.jpg

Thats right, since 'norm' says nothing. Milkshake's Repo was created when norm was apps.openpandora.org

The difference is, everyone was crying out for a replacement for apps.openpandora.org. You one the other hand ignore people crying out for you to put your stuff up on the repo.

It's obviously up to you where your software resides but tbh you are shooting yourself in the foot because there are a lot of people that will simply ignore your stuff because getting it is a total pain in the arse. I'm sure you'd see a 2 or 3 times increase in downloads if you uploaded your stuff to the repo.

Take Worker as an example. I was the person that originally asked for worker to be ported to the Pandora but I won't be bothering with this update.

That said, thanks for all you've done for the Pandora it's much appreciated.

For those interested in the older version of worker it's available in the old thread here

SPM will not satisfy everyone. its a fact, and that You should get used to, because all my ports/apps will be downloadable only via SPM. Dont care about my ports / apps?, its fine. Its not done primarly for You. Everyone else that using SPM are fairly interested in further dev and new addons in SPM.

Im happy how situation is turning with SPM. A lot of users using it at the moment [and received few emails with improvement proposition], so its nice, and good way to go.. everyone else have already repo.openpandora.org. Just stick with it..

Last edited:
I think you're missing my point here Streak. The person losing the most here is you. There are loads of people out there in Pandora land who have never heard of you because your stuff isn't available in the usual places. As the Pandora sells more and more there will be more and more people who don't read the forums who won't hear about your great software.

As I say, it's up to you where you put your software but while the other main devs gain a following from the ordinary punter type Pandora user you go unnoticed. If that's what you want (and it seems to be) then carry on.

I for one think it's a pity that you don't want your software to reach as many people as it can. The repo isn't run by apple or google. I can see no benefit to you in making your apps difficult to get hold of.

I think you're missing my point here Streak. The person losing the most here is you. There are loads of people out there in Pandora land who have never heard of you because your stuff isn't available in the usual places. As the Pandora sells more and more there will be more and more people who don't read the forums who won't hear about your great software.

As I say, it's up to you where you put your software but while the other main devs gain a following from the ordinary punter type Pandora user you go unnoticed. If that's what you want (and it seems to be) then carry on.

I for one think it's a pity that you don't want your software to reach as many people as it can. The repo isn't run by apple or google. I can see no benefit to you in making your apps difficult to get hold of.

Arrrgh :)

Really, i have no benefit in any way to put my stuff on repo. Dont get me wrong , i like it , im using it, but it just not fits my needs as a porter / app author. My small repo fits my needs better [easier to maintain / personal insights / and more (dummy packages / meta packages that was unsupported by MilkShake's repo..).]. Im deving it as i wanted to have it. Only essentials. Everything easier to maintain [few PHP upload scripts + good app from OP side (SPM)]. I dont really losing anything. Im not looking on it as a winning/loosing. Its logical progress, that not everyone need to accept.

SPM have already quite nice feats that I was missing in official one. Categories / Searching for PND {across all SPM repo} / Informations about app and preview images..

BTW. At some point i'll add SPM for Linux.. why not. But firstly i'll need to finish SPM for OP [adding all i need]

Last edited:
Really, i have no benefit in any way to put my stuff on repo. Dont get me wrong , i like it , im using it, but it just not fits my needs as a porter / app author. My small repo fits my needs better [easier to maintain / personal insights / and more (dummy packages / meta packages that was unsupported by MilkShake's repo..).]. Im deving it as i wanted to have it. Only essentials. Everything easier to maintain [few PHP upload scripts + good app from OP side (SPM)]. I dont really losing anything. Im not looking on it as a winning/loosing. Its logical progress, that not everyone need to accept.

SPM have already quite nice feats that I was missing in official one. Categories / Searching for PND {across all SPM repo} / Informations about app and preview images..
Then why the hell didn't you approach the authors of said software with your feature requests? That IS THE WHOLE POINT of an open community, everyone can submit ideas and if the original authors don't listen you can always add stuff yourself as the code is OPEN (well except for the repo, hey milkshake, don't you think it's polished enough already?!). That way everyone can benefit from (your) ideas and the collaborative work surely will turn out better than just ideas of a single person.

I see your point in maintaining your own software and repo, but why force users to use the same? Why not employ an open standard like the repo standard (which has been developed by multiple people of the community) so other clients like PNDStore or Panorama can crawl your repo, too (alongside repo.openpandora.org) and people are not forced to use one solution? (and might even eventually chose your client over the other ones, if it crawls all available repos)

If the repo standard does not suit your needs, then by all means submit a features request or just go ahead and change it, it's open for that exact reason.

The only thing you accomplish with this is basically, as BaDToaD already noted, a limited audience and a lot of hatred from people like me sensing you are kind of violating the open principle of the Pandora.

I appreciate your work and also your decision, I really do, but you never gave a good reason for it and so it just comes across as a dick move - "you don't like it, well then go to hell..." (you don't like being forced to use the repo, but force people to use SPM...)

well if that's what you want, okay, go ahead. Otherwise we are an open community and up for an open dialogue about the "de-facto standards".

Sorry for hijacking this and turning this into another of these discussions, but I don't like how you try to play outlaw of the community and would like to hear some reasons for that.

I already stated, "why" in previous post.

And why "why?".. lets say i like Craigix ideas & concepts..

BTW. Dont get angry, get over it..

Last edited:
I already stated, "why" in previous post.

And why "why?".. lets say i like Craigix ideas & concepts..

BTW. Dont get angry, get over it..
Well and I stated why I don't think those are valid reasons.

But oh well, you are right it's not worth talking to you about it, so please disregard me.

And yes, you and Craig have a lot in common, I don't consider that to be an entirely good thing.

But oh well, you are right it's not worth talking to you about it, so please disregard me.

You ask me to argue, with You because You have different way to see things than I? Why should i argue? or explain things? It is as it is. Its freedom of choice. Im doing this , you're doing that.. That is the freedom.

Last edited:
anyway my aim this year is to take "parts" of the repo and make them open source.

the parts I will make open are the php classes to handle pxml/preview pic extraction, uploads and output of repo JSON scripts so that any dev could then host there own repo (without all the bells and whistles of things like ratings, comments, themes stuff like that).

It will be purly for devs to host a repo of their own which will work for REPO spec clients.

so when I eventually get round to completing this task I guess you could use this and maybe improve it :)

I am guilty of this myself as well, but can we please attempt to stop making every release thread by StreaK a discussion about his choice of software distribution mechanisms.

This discussion is fundamental enough to warrant a thread of its own.

Back