Discussion: An Xbox Live like system for Pandora [split from other topic]

personally I would only care about a lobby to chat and start game... that and achivement (You got a 1 up mushroom...) ok, I'm just kidding about achievment... highscore is a kinda nice to have but i don't really care about that...

If there is an official master server it shouldnt be hard for devs to make their own lobbys and such, there could be a function in the OS that if you activated it sent certain info to the master server that could be fetched by other programs? Then you could read that info in time events and have a popup message in a game tell you a friend came online and so on. And the game can just update the status of currently played game on the master server so you know what people play. Like a txt file on the server with write permission that contains numbers and letters in agreed on official spec.

Saw some discussion on this in another thread (about the Jabber server), and I figure I'd mention I'm working on something like this. I'm wanting to keep it simple (accounts, high-scores, achievements and matchmaking only) whilst I develop the stack (easy to use library connects to low-footprint QT app/daemon connects via HTTP to server). I don't really want to say too much since it's so early and might never be finished (I'll release the source in this case), just wanted to mention I'm working on something...

I've been calling it "Panda Network", since the name is close to Pandora and pretty cute. Open to ideas and suggestions, but I want to keep this pretty small initially.

Last edited by a moderator:
About naming, I think we should avoid *-live and *-network because they feel like copying MS and Sony respectively - I think pandahub would be nice.

Don't forget to include in-game chat at some point :)

Saw some discussion on this in another thread (about the Jabber server), and I figure I'd mention I'm working on something like this. I'm wanting to keep it simple (accounts, high-scores, achievements and matchmaking only) whilst I develop the stack (easy to use library connects to low-footprint QT app/daemon connects via HTTP to server). I don't really want to say too much since it's so early and might never be finished (I'll release the source in this case), just wanted to mention I'm working on something...

I've been calling it "Panda Network", since the name is close to Pandora and pretty cute. Open to ideas and suggestions, but I want to keep this pretty small initially.

great. Thing is, you are about the 3rd to announce something like this and nothing really happend in years. That's why I started the jabber discussion. Actually, we should just start something. If ED or someone else would be willing to host our own ejabberd, that would be an awesome start. Else, we could just use some existing chatserver, be it jabber or irc. But we as a community should just agree on the most valuable system that we can use instandly.

I agree - even if we decide to change to a different system later, you can just abandon the one we choose now. I think the most important thing would be to have *something* running that people can see and work on, rather than the abstract "I'm working on something" posts (no offense meant to those people).

I completely agree, we're starting to see some games having people wanting to find online cohorts, but no where to turn to; an immediate problem wants an immediate solution. Apologies for spreading discussion between two topics, I knew I should've posted in the other one :)

ok i'm back into that discussion ... tl;dr;

i've released a beta for PaperWars PvP yesterday ... and this could really need some lobby system or something like that. i dont know the reason, but there was not a single connect to the server, but i imagine it's because people just need some additional system to find other players.

grab the beta here if you're interested:

OK, i got active and started some chats on freenode

#pandoralobby - General Lobby for Pandora Online Gaming

#pandoralobby-discussion - Discuss the future of Pandora Online Gaming

#pandoralobby-paperwars - Dedicated Lobby for PaperWars

General Password: open

now, spread the word. If even this totally basic community effort will work out, depends on promotion and adoption. Speak of it whereever it fits, use your signatures for marketing, whatever.

We have mumble, there's the voice client sorted, add group chat support for a lobby and optional latest PND launched (for a who's playing what found in most online lobbies).

In time a host/slave PND could be launched later, that remaps incoming control inputs into second player inputs, and sends a video feed back to the slave (think OnLive).

So many ideas floating around, this could be something great, any hopes of trophies/achievements should be dashed by the open nature of the Pandora, the same reason Sony refused to add trophy support to the PSP, just too easy to modify it.

Back