Diy Flu Pics!

nerd of nerds

w00t!!!!
ok, i found the camera, and here are the long awaited pics...i suck at taking pictures...i will have someone take some better ones when i get the better resistor put in...that will make it brighter... and it is using ledsto light it...now, on with the pics...
copy n paste:

http://thesquee.com/pic1.JPG
http://thesquee.com/pic2.JPG
http://thesquee.com/pic3.JPG
http://thesquee.com/pic4.JPG

there is a LOT of dust that will be removed soon, and the trapezoid effect isn't NEARLY as visible as it is in the pictures... + the pics are pretty blurry...

better pics are coming! with a brighter light hpefully!

my host won't let me link to my pics... anyone know of a GOOD free pic hosting service?

EDIT: nevermind, just copy and paste the pics...

ste_167 posted on Apr 1 2004 at 07:53 PM said:
you just have to copy and paste the link...

but out of curiosity, can i us a domain name with yahoo? my sis got me one for my bday a while ago and i haven't used it yet, i wanted a free hosting service that would let my use the domain...and didn't find one...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never tried them... I tend to just buy a domain at www.supanames.co.uk... you're not UK based though, are you? Only 13.99 a year...

Pics look good, my GP's got quite bad Trap Effect (can't spell it!!!) and even in the photos, yours isn't as bad. Is it lit from all sides, or just the top and bottom like standard FLUs?

And where's that Guide?!?! ;)

ste_167 posted on Apr 1 2004 at 07:59 PM said:
I've never tried them... I tend to just buy a domain at www.supanames.co.uk... you're not UK based though, are you? Only 13.99 a year...

Pics look good, my GP's got quite bad Trap Effect (can't spell it!!!) and even in the photos, yours isn't as bad. Is it lit from all sides, or just the top and bottom like standard FLUs?

And where's that Guide?!?! ;)
well, i don't think that anyone will be able to build it even if there is a guide...because it uses a part from an afterburner, and the afterburner has been out of production and isn't coming back...so no one will be able to build it EVEN if they find the light guides...

i still have some tweaking to do... i removed some dust and it looks much better... i will be putting in a lower resistance resistor soon, maybe today... but it is TRULY a beutiful thing... maybe we need a special "gp32 light guru" status ;) for me...

i would LOVE to make a guide, its just too hard to make tho... maybe i will, but then i will get 50000 emails saying "can you sell my a light guide?", "can you make me a light guide?", "can i buy your gp32?", "will you trade your gp32 for my broken non flu?"..etc etc etc... i WILL however look into making light guides my means of laser etcher/engraver, that seems promising... and if that is done then MAYBE a kit will be made... MAYBE MAYBE MAYBE, but probibly not...

I wouldn't even start on it - it'd be too much hassle. I'd imagine that if anyone could even follow your guide then they'd be knowledgable enough to do it themselves anyway....

PinkSpider posted on Apr 1 2004 at 08:36 PM said:
Didnt you get any webspace with ur isp? I did and im on a shitty local ISP :)
not that i know of...

do most isps shit on you when you set up a server? cuz i might do that...that is if they won't shit on me ;)

meandu229 posted on Apr 1 2004 at 08:43 PM said:
mate i know its crappy but try www.freewebs.com they will allow you to host your pictures
just copy and paste... the pics...

An LED base of the Afterburner can be simply recreated, you just need
a bit of reflective metal, a line of light guide, a couple LEDs and wire. I've made atleast 4 or 5 frontlights (for home use), it's just the light guides that are difficult to find. Where did you say you got them again? Off ebay? What model of the Compaq screen (and for what system/PDA?) uses frontlights?

BTW, great and impressive job.

nerd of nerds posted on Apr 1 2004 at 08:23 PM said:
i WILL however look into making light guides my means of laser etcher/engraver, that seems promising...
woo if it turns out to be relatively easy to make a light guiding plate with a laser etcher/cutter then i could make this part myself (using a mates laser cutter)

Mash posted on Apr 1 2004 at 09:15 PM said:
An LED base of the Afterburner can be simply recreated, you just need
a bit of reflective metal, a line of light guide, a couple LEDs and wire. I've made atleast 4 or 5 frontlights (for home use), it's just the light guides that are difficult to find. Where did you say you got them again? Off ebay? What model of the Compaq screen (and for what system/PDA?) uses frontlights?

BTW, great and impressive job.
i got the lcds from ebay, compaq ipaq model 3600 or 3700... most of em SHOULD use frontlights...

and mash, if you wanted to make a guide on how to make the small light reflector (for lack of a better word...) then i would be happy to make a guide on how to make the frontlight work, but it would have to be theEXACT size of the afterburner one, wider would be better... i do know how that part works, i just didn't want to get into making my own...

and i don't know if the light guides can be made with a laser etcher... it would in theory work... i willl bust out a microscope and see what the lines look like up close...

g8w4y posted on Apr 1 2004 at 09:22 PM said:
What did you use to colour your GP32? What paints actually stick to that plasic? (and don't destroy it)
you can use a can of spray paint liike i did, but i think his is an actual black case.

divadsci posted on Apr 1 2004 at 04:25 PM said:
What did you use to colour your GP32? What paints actually stick to that plasic? (and don't destroy it)
you can use a can of spray paint liike i did, but i think his is an actual black case.
I think it needs to be acrilic based... or you could try permanet markers.... I think some one on here did that...

divadsci posted on Apr 1 2004 at 09:25 PM said:
nope, its spray paint B) thanks tho... i dyed it at first, dying something black is a pain in the ass... if you want black, use spray paint...

Back