Do we really need a full sized USB host port and HDMI?

1. Decide on what we want in a P2
  2. Find out how small it can be made

in that order.

If the requirements are two SDXC, a full sized USB 3.0 host port and a full sized HDMI and a microUSB OTG port - then it may well have to be a larger machine.
They should be, it would be, I don't mind

If the requirements are two SDXC, a full sized USB 3.0 host port and a full sized HDMI and a microUSB OTG port - then it may well have to be a larger machine.
They should be, it would be, I don't mind
++

So long as the hands like it, a little larger is totally fine. All that beautiful, natively full-size interface support is worth it 100% in my view.

Do all the ports need to go on the back? If connectors could be built on the sides as well, there should be room for everything.

Do all the ports need to go on the back? If connectors could be built on the sides as well, there should be room for everything.

The big problem with putting connectors for cables or peripherals on the side is that they'll protrude from the device in areas where your hands will be, making it much less comfortable to hold. GP2X put USB and DC power ports on the side which made it almost unusable for me while developing, where I needed the USB for sending files and the power because I wasn't going to constantly recharge and swap batteries.

There'll be less incentive to have a USB cable always connected for communications but you could still have a dongle sticking out while it's being used, and you could still want to have it usable while charging.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the major problem is the amount of PCB space useful connectors take up.

Since the P2 has to be THINNER LIGHTER SMALLER DABEST!!!!

There is obviously no room for fullSD, fullUSB or whatnot

My solution was to make 8.5cm * 15cm. this gains 9cm2 on the current model, which (from asking around friends an acquaintances) is not too big

I feel like I need to remind everyone once again that the OPT has already confirmed Pandora 2 will have full USB.

Thanks for the reminder

In name of not having another (micro)SD flamewar:

I propose that them P2 should have a dual mode displayport because you can get USB, VGA, DVI and HDMI out of it without too much hassle

The big problem with putting connectors for cables or peripherals on the side is that they'll protrude from the device in areas where your hands will be, making it much less comfortable to hold.

I facepalm at myself. Doh! The only connector I could imagine working on the side while holding would be an L-shaped headphone connector..

This is a bad idea.

If you want to hook a screen and some usbs at the same time you are screwed.

My 11th edition Merriam Webster would like to have a word with you, Overgauss... 1st definition is "debatable" like I already said, 2nd definition is "deprived of practical significance." Just like this pedantic semantic debate I am now ending, on all fronts. You seriously have some kind of complex. Good talking to you.

Yes your second term is what I was addressing actually. I can see how the presence of debatable in the definition caused you to stop reading there. Since OPT said that a standard usb port will come with the device and the OP asks if this is necessary I feel that it is of practical value to discuss, talk over, debate, argue, raise a suggestion or topic, and make a suggestion or possibility. Was all I was saying.

How about making the back of the device look like this? Notice the stacked SD and microSD and microUSB charging ports.

http://www.amazon.co...iced 5 in 1 mhl

41WcQn-3TwL._AA300_.jpg

It results in a 'thick' device, but if we're going to insist on a full sized USB port, it isn't going to be svelte.

Seems doable to me. There's a lot of space wasted though so that could take up a smaller thickness profile if the stuff on the left weren't stacked that way. That being said, this particular setup doesn't seem very durable to me. Not because of the components themselves but because of how I expect them to be mounted and my previous experience with multiport hubs.

The big problem with putting connectors for cables or peripherals on the side is that they'll protrude from the device in areas where your hands will be, making it much less comfortable to hold.

I facepalm at myself. Doh! The only connector I could imagine working on the side while holding would be an L-shaped headphone connector..

Nope - there is another connector that would work just fine on the sides without any interference.

Flush mount SD slots. Those don't have to be on the front or back - sides would work fine.

Nope - there is another connector that would work just fine on the sides without any interference.

Flush mount SD slots. Those don't have to be on the front or back - sides would work fine.

SD slot is a slot, not a connector :D

SD slot is a slot, not a connector :D

I realize you're joking a bit.

SD is also shared by SDIO which is definitely a connector-to-other scenario.

Still - not sure if anyone's considered putting the SD slot/connector(s) on the side(s). Since real SDIO is very rare, why not?

How about making the back of the device look like this? Notice the stacked SD and microSD and microUSB charging ports.

http://www.amazon.co...iced 5 in 1 mhl

41WcQn-3TwL._AA300_.jpg

It results in a 'thick' device, but if we're going to insist on a full sized USB port, it isn't going to be svelte.

Just a wild idea. I see that there are two schools at discussion here, the ones that want to gain space for computational power without sacrificing portability and the ones that don't care how bulky the P2 could become. How about a work around a-la-Sega and ship the P2 with one full SD, one full USB 3.0 host and one MHL but having the capacity to mount an adapter that would accept a second SD, HDMI, etc... bridge the full USB so that the wear would fall on the adapter and not the main unit.

You could keep this adapter firmly attached to the unit and take it with you or remove it and use the USB host directly or hook it with an MHL "adapter" cable as needed.

Edit: This has to be made with the P2, I personally wouldn't want another TV out cable scene to happen.

If we had those, would the need for a full sized USB host port and HDMI port be eliminated?

Because I hate adapters and the Pandora 2 isn't going to be designed to be the size of your iPhone 5. It's better than a phone.

If we had those, would the need for a full sized USB host port and HDMI port be eliminated?

Because I hate adapters and the Pandora 2 isn't going to be designed to be the size of your iPhone 5. It's better than a phone.

Just for clarification - I don't have, never have had and never will own an iPhone. Yes, I have my reasons, but I don't want to start a technology holy war here.

I do have a Samsung Galaxy Note II. For me that is the 'perfect size in X,Y dimensions. I love the screen, the CPU capability is way more than existing apps can use and I have my 64GB microSDXC UHS-I card in it nearly full. The coolest bit I found after purchase? That it has an 802.11n 2.4 and 5Ghz radio. I get >3MB/sec transfers on my home network to/from my phone and my home server - how cool is that?

When talking about how this plays into a P2 though, device thickness becomes an issue. I'd like to see the P2 come in under 20mm. This is where my dream device and 'must have full sized USB and HDMI ports' collide.

Correcting assumptions made by others earlier in this thread: This question is not so much about full sized SD vs microSD. This question is about full sized USB & HDMI on a 30mm thick brick or microUSB and/or MHL ports on a 20mm thick device. I don't see any way a 'thin' device can be made if we're insisting on giant block-like full-sized computer ports.

So I'm presenting options for opinion. There are options - but getting past that full sized USB host port is a rough one, even for me. That is handy to have.

That fancy adapter would be fine if and only if the OPT can deliver it on release of the Pandora 2, other wise it may just become as elusive as the Official TV-Out cable..

Back