Do You Use A Gnu/linux Distro On Your Main Computer?

Do you use a GNU/Linux distro on your main computer?

• Yes

Votes: 210 69.1%
  • No

Votes: 94 30.9%

• Total voters

Yes, since early 1992.
Currently on Debian Sid. Happy camper.

Huh, a lot of people use Gentoo here (me too).

I have XP in a VirtualBox, but I almost never use it.

My main is dualing Win7 32-bit for TF2 and Arch Linux 64-bit for programming, news, music, videos, Internets, SSH, homework, office, etc.

My server only runs Arch Linux 64-bit.

I've tried playing TF2 through WINE, but it's a bit slow usually, even with the graphics turned down, and sometimes the FPS will suddenly drop to like 3 and stay there indefinitely.
And also, it only plays right in windowed mode, but if I turn too fast, the mouse escapes the window and a shitstorm of focus errors ensues.

I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 right now, though thinking of switch away from gnome. I have Xubuntu on a laptop. A couple machines that run windows. One is only used for windows shares.

Problem I have with most linux is accessing windows shares. Ubuntu is the only one that works for me. Even derivatives that don't use gnome (nautilus) don't want to allow me access. So until I find other (about to try Mint LXDE) we'll see.

windowsjw.jpg

No because whenever i tried ubuntu or any other Linux OS, i only got into problems (which ended up me being on the terminal with no clue what to type)

Also, no foobar2000. No games. No Windows Live Messenger.

Hi everyone, just ordered my Pandora about 15 minutes ago. :)

I am a Linux/Unix admin by trade, I have about 30 or so servers in multiple Data centers on both sides of Australia that me and my team administrate.
Centos/RHEL/BSD/Solaris/Debian/Whitebox/ESXi even an old Slackware box.

I use Ubuntu at work as a desktop, works well for my needs, if I need a windows application (for instance one of our older KVM's require the use of IE (activex) to connect to the remote video console) I use virtualbox, a great simple VM for my desktop. Run XP in that, just works.

I use windows 7 x64 on my gaming rig at home, and my support laptop when I am on 24/7 support once a month is Ubuntu.

I updated 9.04 to 9.10 and since then, I have not been very happy with either my Desktop or Laptop.
I am considering doing a clean reinstall when 10.04 launches, and if that fails I might go back to old faithful.. FreeBSD.

I have been using Linux since 97. I wonder how the Pandora would go with BSD on it.. :)

I run Ubuntu 9.10 on my desktop, Ubuntu 9.4 on my notebook, and just installed Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix on my netbook. I also run Maemo on my Nokia N810. At work I'm on some version of Red Hat. I stopped dual-booting around 8-9 years ago, but my wife still uses Windows on her notebook (so I can remind myself why I went with Linux :-D).

Cheers,
Michael

Dual boot Gentoo Linux x86_64 and Windows 7 x86_64. I rarely use Windows 7. I'm not much of a gamer, so I don't play many new games and I'm just used to Linux and prefer it... and I don't really like change so much, especially when it's to something I don't feel as comfortable with.

Nightwheel said:
I use Windows Visa.

This typo is awesome because "It's everywhere you want to be" and "Where do you want to go today" play off each other so nicely. :)

I'm using opensuse at the moment. There are a very large variety of reasons why I'm using Linux, though the main ones would probably be a far higher level of ui customization, ease with remote application access, generally easier installation of software, more compatibility with the hardware I happen to own, compared to your typical garden variety, more mainstream operating systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
my main 7 (laptop/netbook) computers run Linux (Mint, Ubuntu or Puppy), one (desktop) runs Windows XP, the only applications installed on it are games, the XP machine is the most powerful (natch), the other 7 do all my day to day work (compiling, rendering, bsp parsing etc), since the only reason I need windows is for games, games is all it has B)

I don't play games unless they have interpreters for Linux. I retrogame almost exclusively. The most recent Windows game I played was S.T.A.L.K.E.R. S.o.C. and I played that in Wine. Previous to that Morrowind, and that was in Wine, too. That was last year. I really don't miss Windows at all - period. In fact I find Windows frustrating to use now.

I used to dual boot for a while. Solved most of the problems I had, mostly sound hardware that refused to work properly. But I ended up needing the HD space before I really used it.

I really don't get along with that Unix file hierarchy though. I love the idea of Gobolinux, even though the network didn't work out of the box I could find the config file myself and fix it.

Back