Do You Use A Gnu/linux Distro On Your Main Computer?

Do you use a GNU/Linux distro on your main computer?

• Yes

Votes: 210 69.1%
  • No

Votes: 94 30.9%

• Total voters

My laptop: Ubuntu 9.04
My wife's laptop: Ubuntu 9.04
My kid's (2) desktops: Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
My sister's laptop: Ubuntu 9.04
My sister's kid's desktop: Ubuntu 9.04
My mother's laptop: Ubuntu 9.04

All happy - and I get nearly no calls for help/support from them on it. I used to get at least a call/problem a week from them under Windows.

On my main machine? Yes, exclusively. I use Kubuntu on my main box (a Lenovo ThinkPad R61i - one of the rare machines nowadays that offers my beloved TrackPoint pointing device, which has been my favourite ever since my first laptop in 1998), and I also have an HP Mini-Note 2133 that runs Xubuntu (the SUSE install that it came with was horrible, and it didn't even work with its own wireless card).

My other machine is a MacBook (I used Mac OS X exclusively on an older iBook until I completely wore it out, which is when I started using Kubuntu), though nowadays I find that I miss a few Linux things whilst I'm using Mac OS X. :p That said, though, if anyone knows how to replicate the oh-so-useful "bind a program to a particular workspace" feature that's in Mac OS X (basically, no matter which workspace you're in, if you bind an app to another one, it will always open there, and spawn any related windows there as well) in Linux, I would be most grateful.

I run Mint 8. Sometimes use Puppy off a USB stick.

I've tried a few distros: Red Hat, Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (subsquent versions of Ubuntu don't work will with my laptop), Fedora 12.

I have to admit that I do miss some of my PC games and that while Open Office is very good and I use it most of the time it is not 100% compatible with Word.

EDIT: My phone runs on Symbian

VRAndy said:
No, because Left4Dead.

Used to though. Probably will do again someday. After PC gaming dies. (Scheduled for a year or two from now. :-( )

I've seen a few people on here who play L4D 1 and 2. We should all get together and play. :D

Edit: oh, and I run Ubuntu 9.10 on a separate partition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Debian Sid on laptop and desktop
Ubuntu 9.10 at work
SystemRescueCd, Backtrack, and Slax on my thumb drive

josemdark said:
VRAndy said:
No, because Left4Dead.

Used to though. Probably will do again someday. After PC gaming dies. (Scheduled for a year or two from now. :-( )

What's the problem? :huh:

I play Left4Dead in Debian...

http://img691.images...antallazoex.png
http://img692.images...ntallazo1xi.png

(The mouse appears because I'm rotating the cube)
The problem is Left 4 Dead 2 which is still on Cedega's red list.
The Other problem is Steam itself, which is only sometimes Cedega-compatible.

Yup... Xubuntu 9.10 x64 but customised in terms on programs I want in the install and that's my main comp.
Lubuntu 9.10 x86 on my eeePC 701 4G again customised and in this case to keep things light as possible.

Also Steam works fine in Wine... individual games can give you grief occasionally.

I was running Ubuntu VM under Virtual PC 2007, for developing for dingoo/dingux. When I upgraded to Win 7 64, the VM no longer worky with 7's Virtual PC. I think I'll just buy a system dedicated to linux deving.

@Wermy I would be down for some L4d, that's all I really play anymore. I must have played with VRAndy at some point because that name is on my Steam friend list, and I only add reliable players to the list and only for that game.
:lol: Small world!

borgqueenx said:
windowsjw.jpg
"Yo dawg, We heard you like Windows so we put a Window in your Windows so you can crash while you crash."

No, I'm not smart enough to dig into an OS that needs to be set up from scratch, I like things to be simple. I didnt even try to put it on my PS3.
But on the other hand it's easy to pirate stuff in windows so it evens out.

(I know I know, "wutsyurordernubuh!?" oh hush.)

I run Unix System III on my mainframe. I can't find the time to learn a new OS so I stick to what I know.

I use Arch, but sometimes I boot into my MSDNAA licensed Windows 7 to play Civ 4 or Team Fortress 2.

100% old-timer Unix user here, my first desktop unix was a Mips Magnum pizzabox with a whopping 128megs of RAM, unbelievable power, RISC/os, and so on .. /me looks up lovingly at his old greying SGI O2 .. and now I'm fully Linux, dudes, 6-core AMD with 16gigs of RAM and a couple Terabytes of disk space .. sheesh.

When I put my Win7 upgrade on my laptop, I'll install a dual boot with Ubuntu. I hope Ubuntu will support all power saving features until then. Last time I checked, Ubuntu got 2h less battery life compared to Vista/Win7.

I am running KDE-minimal on top of Ubuntu Server. Not a PC gamer, so lack of Linux support is a non-issue for the most part*, and the only non-Linux application I have interest in(SolidWorks) is far outside my budget.

*AudioSurf is the only PC-only, non-Wine compatible game I am interested in at current.

Ubuntu 9.10 as a combined desktop mythTV system.
My old Windows 2000 machine seldom gets turned on anymore.
I use a PS3 for games.

'main computer' meaning?

i use 5 machines in my daily routine, and i'm not sure which one is my main computer ; )

but anyway, two of them are dedicated linuxboxen, and another one runs a guest linux.

6 machines. 3 Arch-Linux, 2 Ubuntu, 1(least used) ubuntu/XP dualboot.

Happy Linux user for ~8 years now. Have a dreamcast (and PS3) for gaming, but hardly use the dreamcast, even less the PS3 ;)

I don't care what OS I'm using as long as doesn't get in the way of what I'm doing.

I'm smart enough to be able to find my way around any-x or M$ (or workbench ;) )
And I'm not so blinkered (or fervently faithful) to discard any option on the basis of who wrote or controls it.

Back