Do you want an _offline_ retro gaming league? Please let me know!

Do you like the idea of an offline retro gaming league?

• Total voters

at first I was thinking OPBoards for some reason, but it really occurs to me it makes more sense at the parent board, GP32x forum -- most of us come from there anyway I imagine, but given the cross device goal here it just makes more sense .. OPBoards is for iCP and Pandora.

Everyone cool with (if we decide to put it there) doing the forum there? Everyone kocher with opening an account there if you don't have one already?

I could open a board somewhere else, but that'd be silly imho.

jeff

I personally like Game Center 32X, named after a Japanese TV show, Game Center CX.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd really like to have you involved, since it was your idea.

I feel that this is a topic best suited to live discussion. We really must organize a meeting for this.
While I agree with the first part, I don't really see this topic depend upon a live discussion. Patience is a virtue. ;)

I'm not saying that it couldn't be useful though.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what we're looking for is someone who

• ...has a lot of free time
  • ...owns quite a few retro games/consoles in order to be able to determine scoring systems without impacting game diversity
  • ...has a LOT of free time
  • ...understands how much work this can become so he/she won't just quit at some point

Given these facts I believe that, if we don't find a more robust approach, the league may become an EPIC FAIL since no one is perfect and the future is unforseeable. Just what Pickle said.

Also, when having as few as, say, 30 people who'd like to take part, a monolithic approach (league admin dictates) may not be the right thing. For instance, it might go completely unnoticed if only a very small fraction of the participants actually owns the next game to be played and/or will have enough time to play it.

[...] I'll make proposition to give us somethign to agree/disagree/edit to, so we can move. We all know that forum folks are frickle .. if we don't act asap, its dead [...]
Here are my suggestions for making this league more likely to happen and more robust:

The league admin has to do a bit of pre-period work to determine scoring. Coudl just be "the score you got", or could be "in Dungeon Master, for reeaching floor 5, you get 100 points; for reaching floor 7, you get 300 points", that sort of thing.
Crowd-based scoring system examination. During the two weeks in which a game round is running (let's say these are the first two weeks of the season and the game being played is Nintendo's version of Tetris for NES ;) ), a thread for discussing the scoring system of the game to be played during weeks 3 and 4 is opened. As soon as week 2 has ended, the discussion is over and the game admin announces the final scoring system for the game being played in week 3 and 4.

Crowd-based game examination. At the beginning of week 1 (see "Crowd-based scoring system examination"), a thread for suggesting the game to be played during weeks 5 and 6 is opened. After week 1 has ended, the thread will be closed and a poll opened instead for which the selectable game options are being chosen by the league admin. These might or might not consist of and/or contain (parts of) the games suggested by people during week 1, since it's the league admin's obligation to keep the choice of games somewhat balanced and varied. To make sure that the league will stay interesting and won't become boring or repetititive, instead of opening a poll during the second week the league administrator may also keep the game discussion thread opened whenever there aren't enough game suggenstions, and at the end of the second week select the game to be played.

So, during week 3 and 4, a thread would be open to determine a scoring system for the game chosen for weeks 5 and 6, and another thread to find out which game will be played during weeks 7 and 8.

Weeks 5 and 6:

• Thread 1: determine scoring system for weeks 7 and 8.
  • Thread 2: Find out which game to play during weeks 9 and 10.

And so on and so forth.

Multiple league administrators. Perhaps the most obvious suggestion. Multiple league administrators would mean the introduction of load balancing in terms of handling the work/fun introduced by the job. Depending on how the league will turn out to work, this might solely cause management overhead though.

It'd have to be decided yet by everyone, but I don't much see the nead for 'hard core' -- video taping your plays is just sily, and who wants to watch that, or have time?
Whenever there are prices involved, it might be a good way to "hardcore-check" the proclaimed scores of those who are to receive those prices as soon as the season has ended (or semi-hardcore, for example with screenshots, depending ot what prices we have). The best thing about this is that as soon as it's clear that the season's winners will be hardcore-checked before receiving any price, it becomes unlikely that they will try to cheat in the first place.

Since DRM will never turn out to work the way it is intended to, there is no way to make perfectly sure that scores will NOT have been faked. So we would HAVE to trust people to a certain degree.

it really occurs to me it makes more sense at the parent board, GP32x forum -- most of us come from there anyway I imagine, but given the cross device goal here it just makes more sense .. OPBoards is for iCP and Pandora.
Just what I was thinking.

Definition, Type-A OCD personality -- someone who, rather than actually playing games, comes up with a way to make playing games into a lot of work.
Mission accomplished.

Strikes me an easy scoring system - easy to understand and easy to apply would be ..

IDeal world, one scoring system: achievements. Pros -- supports multiple styles of gameplay and works across all game types; Cons: requires researcvh by people to set the achievements and balance them so all games have more or less equal value. (IDeally you want a database of 100 games, and let people pick any 10, so they can pick their preferred games. But of course, thats impossible.)

Real world, two systems:

1) Achievement system when available or for games that require it.

2) Simple high score based system, used when admins have had no time to mull things over, or for games that woudl really work this way (could throw some achievements in too.)

High score based system could fall into two ways, depending how cutthroat we'd want it.

a ) pyramid; highest score gets 100 points, next two get 80 points, next 3 get 60, next 4 get 40, al the rest get 20, and 0 for no-shows.

b ) linear; 5 blocks .. 100/80/60/40/20 (and 0 for no-show); divide up .. 20 people equals 4 per block, so top 4 get 100, next 4 80, and so on. Less cutthroat.

For edge case of <5 participants, spread; if 3, then top is 100, bottom is 20, middle is 60, for instance.

I've mulled the idea of running two games (or more) at once, so that if you just don't like one, you could do the other. IT becomes 'hard' to rate between games, or to judge fareness (if 20 peopel do gameA and 3 do gameB, is the top player for each both worth 100 points?). In the end, we're just a bunch of retro blokes anting bragging rights (liek darts at the pub), so I rather thought we woudn't make it too difficult.

Hence my proposal for scoring is..

Season == 3 months (one quarter year.)

Game == 2 weeks (thus 6 games per season.)

At season conclusion, lowest league-score for a game is tossed : your best 5 league scores are kept and tallied.

Leaderboard to be updated after each game and at end of season to show the real endgame victors.

--

Christph.Krn -- pretty interesting ideas there; I hadn't really thought about it (or thought about going down the road of using a bellcurve or standard devbiation based scoring so we can just make it easy and predictable), but pretty interesgting rolling cycle there. Would need a calendar to track it :) Oh, I misread in my hurry -- fully agreed on the game rule bit, that was what I was intending exactly; while game1 is ongoing, admins (or players if we just cooopt everyone, .. takes the surprise out of it, but maybe thats totally ok given the size of player base) -- figuring out game2. I was thinking of just admin/mods doing that to keep it a surprise, but you might be right to just use the whole pile of people.

I was rather figuring to do thigns the same way I always do -- simple first, to see if theres catch, then build up; do you think going with a simple approach like above for a couple months to see if its likable and doable _at all_, while discussing 'season 2's approach?

I have noticed that most leagues seem to have fizzled; theres a few successful ones by determined folks, but yeah. Gamers are fickle .. I coudl see peopel doing it once, twice, then just not bothering. Or maybe, if we keep it fun and peopel trash talk each other or whatever, maybe it'd work? Maybe people would discuss strategy or victories and keep it fun? Or maybe people would just like to see a few gmaes trhey woudln't normally try?

--

For season one game one, I'd actually been thinking of ..

choice A: SNES - Super Ghouls n Ghosts

choice B: MAME - Moon Cresta

(or perhaps choice B: MAME - Willow, to also be a similar style of gameplay. Or, to keep it awesome for first tow games, choice B: TG16 - RType (pt 1))

Game set 2 coudl be discussed, but I thought about picking that first set so we could discuss the approach, etc.

--

*shrug*

Or maybe we shoudl let it drop, dunno :)

Just a quirky idea I had :)

jeff

We NEED to include the Star Soldier games in one season, possibly dedicate an entire one to them and their clones; the two minute/five minute gameplay is just too good to pass up.

I just had a thought; For their Atari 2600 titles, Activision tended to run high score challenges, which were detailed in the games' manuals (for those unaware of them, basically you were challenged to beat a particular score and provide photographic proof, after which they would send you a sew-on patch as a prize).

If there is a lack of time, on occasion, for the league admin/admins, those might be a good fall-back, since they're ready-made. The manuals themselves are available on AtariAge - if you set the "Company" box here to "Activision" and click "Begin Search", you'll be able to get hold of them. :p (Here's an example of one.)

Back