Do you want an _offline_ retro gaming league? Please let me know!

Do you like the idea of an offline retro gaming league?

• Total voters

Sounds good to me. I have eratic bouts of free time so I can't always take part, but when I can, I will :)

Just have a chat; run with it. Doesn't haev to involve me, won't bother me :) I just kicked itoff, you run with it :)

jeff

I'd really like to have you involved, since it was your idea.

I feel that this is a topic best suited to live discussion. We really must organize a meeting for this.

Live meetings are good, but how do you do when you have people all around the planet? Well at least in US and Europe... If only we didn't have jobs or schools, we could dedicate full days to the Pandora :)

If any prizes are to be involved, I think validating the scores should be thought about. I was thinking that a specially modified emulator with screenshot watermarking would be a good way, albeit requiring some work. It wouldn't be foolproof either, but at least a step ahead "I got a gazillion points!" people or some other cheaters :) . I know I would never cheat in such a contest, but I wouldn't want cheaters spoiling the fun (like in some current online games).

Anyway, I'm in. B)

Hmm, also, perhaps we could use games that the developers have released so that everybody can have a go at emulating them?

I like the idea of GBAX gift cards :D

If you do that gaming league, I think the first iteration should be done without prizes.

That way you could iron out any quirk encountered and no one would rant about prizes that got "stolen".

When everything is well and smooth, then try to get some prizes from whichever would be nice enough to give.

Don't forget gaming is first for fun, then comparing who's got the bigger p… SCORE!
rolleyes.gif

Specially instrumenting an emu wouldn't take work, but it means doing it to a few emus across all platforms supported by the league. But if happened ot be pandora specific, I coudl easily hack snes9x4p (for example) to make a screenshot every (say) 30seconds and toss them all into a zip. It couldn';t know aout game though, just 'per rom', but could be handy. But again, seems like overkill to me .. at least first 'season' shoudl be honesty based, and no prizes beyond bragging rights :)

Can you image .. 'season 1, round 3 - Galaga - FoopyBork top player awarded 200 league points!' .. so nerdy and awesome :p

jeff

We have to rule out what platforms are NOT allowed. There's this retro-styled game for Windows that would be excellent for the competition (www.totallytinyarcade.com), but most people here use Linux, or some derivative.

What about Retro Game Challenge? That's for the DS, and would work well with such a competition.

Myself, I think I'd have to draw the line at having to go out and buy a game to take part in something like this. :p

I thought it obvious, but I should think ...

the _intersection_ (overlap) of the above listed devices.

Not somethign suitable to just one of them ;)

ie:p For first round or two, to keep game picking out of the equation, I'd pick an arcade game that runs well on MaME4ALL, since thats available on pretty much everything. But a little uncommon so its not something everyone has seen (so we can get people to try a 'new' game). And one with a simple scoring system, so we can just say .. "order people into 5 groups by score, top group gets 100 points, each group thereafter gets 20 less; 100/80/40/30/20 points". But really over time, games from NES, Genesis/MD, SNES, TG16/PCEngine, MAME, 2600, C64, Vic20, Spectrum, ST, Amiga, that sort would be fine. Maybe even dosbox, though that rules out most platforms since PSP/etc can't perform well there (though people could use their desktop then, but it might be too much an advantage/disadvantage to use a PC, against mostly mobiles, so I'm sort of leaning towards mobile platform play, but I'm not a dictator.)

Hence, Legendary Wings or something, or Toki, or somesuch.

Then can spend effort setitng up a forum (?), getting names and setting up a tally page somewhere or in the forum (forum post pinned to top maybe, one for each season?)

After a few rounds, can start a poll-thread to pick a game .. show say 4 games from various emulated systems, and see who the vote goes.

If you like, I can pick games for awhile, but the scoring system could be work, but the first few games wil be easy like above, so its ont really a problem.

jeff

edit: ie .. there are a cuple retro gaming leagues around (I just found out), but I brought it up here so it'd be faces we know, witrh platforms we know. If you want a general league, theres the 'retro gaming league'; for Atari ST only, theres "STOT" league. But lets do 'the gp32x and openpandora boards league of retro gamers', if you catch my drift. See, this way I can do some beat down on pickle and its personal :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Skeezix, it looks like you have the amount of people that you wanted to start this and since this is your idea, I think you should get it going and get everyone used to how it will work and then hand the reigns over to a willing admin like Blue Protoman once we get through the first couple weeks or something.

OKay, maybe thats the way to go -- full steam ahead, while we have some steam :)

I'll talk to ED about a sub-forum and go from there!

jeff

We REALLY must discuss this in an IRC channel. There's simply too much that's possible for discussion in crawling-slow forum threads.

I emailed ED to get a subforum; I'll post a set of rules and season 1/game 1 proposition and pin up the leaderboard.

Then we can discuss if folks agree on the format, and go.

We can then refine format and do again for game 2.

At some point we cna hand the reins over to whoever, but what the heck, lets try ang 'go' and see how it goes. ie: I'll make proposition to give us somethign to agree/disagree/edit to, so we can move. We all know that forum folks are frickle .. if we don't act asap, its dead :) And getting a chat in IRC is not going to happen, realistically. But thats okay, I'll dictator start it, and we can wing it from there.

jeff

I volunteer to be an admin. If necessary, I'll make Certificates of Victory as well.

Back