Docking station?

cuetzpalin

I'm confused about the docking station thing that has been mentioned here and there... is it just an idea or something they are working on already?

I'm confused about the docking station thing that has been mentioned here and there... is it just an idea or something they are working on already?
You can't work on a docking station until the case is finalized :)

So, once the case is finalized, I'm sure we will see something about a potential docking station. 

On top of that, it will probably possible for 3rd parties to build such docking stations since ED mentioned the case specs would be made open. 

I would consider it wise for the above to be true and in addition, that the docking station be capable of charging a few spare batteries at once, rather than having to rotate the batteries within the Pyra to ensure you can set off with several full spares easily if on a long trip.

The higher capabilities of the Pyra when pushed to greater things, will surely lead to less battery life than the standard Pandora battery during intensive things. This feature would help combat the shorter duration.

, that the docking station be capable of charging a few spare batteries at once, rather than having to rotate the batteries within the Pyra to ensure you can set off with several full spares easily if on a long trip.
Get several Pandoras for that use case as long as they are available.

I would love a docking station for Pyra. Please make it happen!

Ability to charge batteries outside the device also a good idea, it doesn't need to be part of the docking station though.

Why? Would make charging slower, more expensive, and as the docking station needs the connectors anyways, it wouldn't even make sense :)

I don't think we'd need ranged wireless charging, but I do have an argument for something like induction charging. Awhile back I bought a few HP Touchpads on firesale, and the mini-usb ports stopped charging the device. If I didn't have an induction charging cradle, all those touchpads would be as good as dead.

I have the worst luck with Mini/Micro USB of all types. Either the solder around the port eventually cracks or splits from the board, or the cable goes bad. I hope whatever USB type you use, it's a durable one.

edit: actually, what am I thinking? We have replaceable batteries and AC adapter hahaha...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the worst luck with Mini/Micro USB of all types. Either the solder around the port eventually cracks or splits from the board, or the cable goes bad. I hope whatever USB type you use, it's a durable one.
EvilDragon is a victim of 3 N900 Micro USB ports.

I think he'll make the Pyra port unbreakable.

There are plans to put every Pyra for one hour in a pot of dragon blood to make it invincible ;) .

There are plans to put every Pyra for one hour in a pot of dragon blood to make it invincible ;) .
Watch those damn leafs!

Watch those damn leafs!
They tend to fall onto Nubs and LCD cables.

I know.

:D

But seriously, I'd say full-size ports (HDMI for one) and a builtin USB hub. This way you can have the docking station attached to, say, a TV with wireless keyboard and gamepads attached. Add pyra on top and game/watch movies/whatever on the big screen.

You could have the docking station sit at a desk at home. Keyboard, mouse, gamepad, stereo hifi and monitor already connected to it.

Then you come home, slide the Pyra into the docking station and it turns into a normal PC and even starts charging :)

No need to manually connect all wires to do that, just put it in and that's it.

:D

But seriously, I'd say full-size ports (HDMI for one) and a builtin USB hub. This way you can have the docking station attached to, say, a TV with wireless keyboard and gamepads attached. Add pyra on top and game/watch movies/whatever on the big screen.
  :D too.

Or depending on the usecase (e.g. only surfing, youtubing, light gaming), the pyra could suffice as "computer/laptop" replacement > do light stuff on the go, if your at home, put it in the dock and you have a big screen and keyboard and mouse to get desktop stuff done more efficiently.

Edit: :ph34r:   by ED

Last edited by a moderator:
Back