Donating my Pandora to Waitlisted Developer

huh i dont think it's really bad - someone waiting for long will get his/her pandora earlier. very generous IMO.

I agree, very generous as it that person doesnt have to wait for the new units and depending on where they are in the cue it could still be a few months wait.

the only negative would be less ram.

Yeah well, I don't really care about that. Just asking to clear things up. I originally ordered the 256mb pandora anyways, even though It took longer than I though. I can always grab newer Pandora later if ever needed.

Just hoping that this pandora has the newer LCD cable and is able to withstand at least few years without the common issues I've seen, if I'll need to give up the original order to EvilDragon.

How about you accept the donated Pandora. You wait until your order is fullfilled and then pass on the donated Pandora again to another Dev in waiting. This keeps the original machine moving for its intended purpose and you still get the newer Pandora with decent LCD cable that you ordered.

That may seem slightly selfish but its less hassle than re-allocating your order cue slot to someone else and it ensures that a Dev Pandora is circling the scene to anyone whos Pandora has not arrived yet but who has a project in mind at the time which is the original intent of this donation idea, that someone without theirs can get to work earlier.

How about you accept the donated Pandora. You wait until your order is fullfilled and then pass on the donated Pandora again to another Dev in waiting. This keeps the original machine moving for its intended purpose and you still get the newer Pandora with decent LCD cable that you ordered.

That may seem slightly selfish but its less hassle than re-allocating your order cue slot to someone else and it ensures that a Dev Pandora is circling the scene to anyone whos Pandora has not arrived yet but who has a project in mind at the time which is the original intent of this donation idea, that someone without theirs can get to work earlier.

This actually sounds quite good idea, though I'd like to hear the OP's opinion.

If i may, just a quick derailment from the main topic - as you mentioned the memory.

I hear about the newer Pandoras having a larger memory.

So the original ones had 128MB, does that mean that...

-Those Pandoras in the wild already, have the 128MB, and new ones being made now, even from the FB, will have the larger memory?

-Or, the entire FB orders, all 4000, will have the 128MB as that was 'as advertised at time of order' and only the second batch and premium buyers will be getting the larger memory?

Just wondering

You sure you didn't originally order the 128MB Pandora? :p
Gah, Was it 128MB? I guess my memory is getting hazy.
The original October pre-orders were for units with only 128MB in them. Everyone got a "free" upgrade to 256MB when things the following March (I think it was March, somewhere there abouts) when things didn't go exactly as planned. Now everyone who has been waiting for 3 years gets another "free" upgrade to 512MB.

128 MB was the original device specification, but this was upgraded to 256MB prior to manufacture, so there's no 128MB models out there (unless there's some very early dev units like that?) AFAIK....

I type slower than WizardStan..... :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Cloudef, take the pandora, at least borrow it until you get your own ordered one :p . I vote for you. I'd hate to see you slip away or anything. :)

I'd also like to hear Matthias_H opinion.

I cant see a reason against it personally (for obviously biased reasons).

Plus if an SD OS environment is setup and passed on between Devs, then its already all ready to go 'out the box', has history to make it special and some added incentive to do well with it. Plus a vanilla setup on NAND to test your new creations against.

The only drawback is, if you receive your own Pandora and find it perhaps has better build quality, better OC potential etc, that you have to make a choice, of which one to pass on.

Reflash the NAND and Slap the Dev SD into whichever one and pay the postage to pass it on!

Seems very community based to me but I lose people in the inane delivery of the details :)

This could work! As long as a developer doesn't go rogue and decide to keep it.

Whether or not it happens, however, would be entirely the decision of Matthias.

A developer could always give it a dynamic DNS, add ftp/ssh/vnc and let anyone deploy to it for testing remotely :D

128 MB was the original device specification, but this was upgraded to 256MB prior to manufacture, so there's no 128MB models out there (unless there's some very early dev units like that?) AFAIK....

I type slower than WizardStan..... :blink:
Yeah I think a couple of people had a devboard with the original 128MB

No actual full Pandoras were released at this spec though.

I certainly wouldn't mind, but I have my doubts the circulation thing is ever going to work. Either you own a device, or you have none -- everything else would seem rather wishy-washy, wouldn't it? Anyway, I don't really care. All that matters to me is that (1) I get rid of my Pandora, (2) Someone does something cool with it, (3) People coming up in the waiting list receive their units 5 minutes earlier (or however long it takes to make a Pandora), and (4) I don't need to bother about anything, including this decision :)

I like the idea. It would be cool to see this unit passed down the line to someone worthy whenever the current holder gets their own pre-order delivered. Instead of belonging to one person, it would be a communal Pandora. :)

A very nice thought, so long as the system is honoured by each subsequent recipient.

I certainly wouldn't mind, but I have my doubts the circulation thing is ever going to work. Either you own a device, or you have none -- everything else would seem rather wishy-washy, wouldn't it? Anyway, I don't really care. All that matters to me is that (1) I get rid of my Pandora, (2) Someone does something cool with it, (3) People coming up in the waiting list receive their units 5 minutes earlier (or however long it takes to make a Pandora), and (4) I don't need to bother about anything, including this decision :)

Sure, everything has the thing of trust going on. Dunno how well this would work whenever Pandora's production starts to stabilize and you don't need to wait for 3 years anymore.

Anyways, if you are okay with it. I don't have any issues taking one more early.

If/when the queue ceases to be an issue, perhaps it could then be donated/loaned to a notable outside dev. Posts like this come to mind, and I'm sure there would be no shortage of other suggestions.

It is also not as though the community wouldn't be able to make someone look bad, if they decided to be a douche and keep both, or simply disappear with the community unit if they weren't a pre-orderer to begin with. When it runs out of required people once production is stable, maybe donate it into prizes. If the various devs had signed it, it would have history to make it worthy. Just another idea.

Alright then. I take it Cloudef shall be the chosen one? Fine with me. Please provide details via e-mail. [Edit: Thank you.]

As for the passing-it-on part, it may be best to make a wiki page that reflects the current whereabouts of the device, and maybe also keeps track of its history - what apps have been coded/ported using the "Devel's Pandora", etc.

Back