Dosbox 0.65 For Gp2x

bOingball posted on Aug 20 2006 at 08:45 PM said:
I could try and do a idiot guide tomorrow in the afternoon, just busy tonight :(

make sure you have the folder on your SD Card in the root

SD
---> dosbox
.......|---> 8088_cor
..............|---> 8088_cor.gpe

This should always run the orignal demo supplied in the archive.

Regards
bOing

Thanks bOingball!
I can usually manage to work these things out, but I must admit I'm stumped with Dosbox.
I'll have another try tonight, but a guide would be useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hurray! Stunts (AKA 4d sports driving) works now, although I can't get it to work really fast (I tried 272mhz, CGA colours and various CPU cycles all or most at 2 frameskip).. It works for the no-scenery tracks, but as soon as scenery or complex roadpieces (read: anything BUT the flat ones. Or the 3d ones) it goes pretty slow.. :/

bOingball posted on Aug 20 2006 at 09:45 PM said:
I could try and do a idiot guide tomorrow in the afternoon, just busy tonight :(

SD
---> dosbox
.......|---> 8088_cor

Regards
bOing
There is simply nothing else to do then to extract the archive and run the gpe fil from /mnt/sd/dosbox/8088_cor/ ?
Im running it through telnet and i simply get
Code:
: error while loading shared libraries: cannot create search path array: Cannot allocate memory
however i try to start dosbox
(Using firmware 2.0)

Micket posted on Aug 23 2006 at 12:53 AM said:
bOingball posted on Aug 20 2006 at 09:45 PM said:

SD
---> dosbox
.......|---> 8088_cor

Regards
bOing
There is simply nothing else to do then to extract the archive and run the gpe fil from /mnt/sd/dosbox/8088_cor/ ?
Im running it through telnet and i simply get
Code:
: error while loading shared libraries: cannot create search path array: Cannot allocate memory
however i try to start dosbox
(Using firmware 2.0)

I'm sorry you are having problems, I'm working on how to get this running nice and easy on a gp2x, but I really don't have time to develop things for this device.

I've never released a program for free since 1997, the last program I worked on for the public was called Jester and it was for the Amiga 500/1200 + series (it was a joystick tester) which was in the end used by the company called Quickshot in 1998 to test there latest joysticks (well I think it was, as from my memory I can't really tell if they did but I'm sure I sent it to them and they used it for a while before they stopped making stuff)

I noticed someone tonight changed my vote from 8/10 to 4/10, which was a little annoying, as they have voted my app down, I've hit the vote to 10/10 as I do have the right to vote once, and I did notice last night a program was released called Rhapsody2x and had 0 downloaded but a vote 10/10, which I find unfair as developers should never vote for there own program.

I'm sorry about the ranting I'm giving tonight, I've had a lot to drink and thought I'll speak my mind out to the community that has built up around this little amasing device I bought. and I only bought it because I seen it on Digg.com :)

I hope all the 400+ that downloaded DosBox have found a use for it now since this version does work on all GP2x's. I was only surrered on to make my own as the last one didn't work on my gp2x like a lot of other people.

Anyway I'm hopeing to work on a mouse emulation for the dosbox, and I'll keep on porting the latest versions that are released from the main development group and hoping to keep this going for a long time.

I wish I could program better but now all I work on is for a software house that does not make games and only programs software that Architects will use. :)

Regards
bOing

Macleod posted on Aug 21 2006 at 03:36 AM said:
Any chance someone can do an idiot's guide to dosbox?
I've tried everything but I cannot get this to work :(

I can't get anything to work either.

The supplied demo works fine, but no matter what games I try, nothing works.

Ive been using the Dosbox config creator 0.2 , and I've tried Epic Pinball, Push Your Luck, and 4D Stunts Driving (after reading here that someone else got it to run), but I just can't get anything to work.

bOingball posted on Aug 23 2006 at 10:50 PM said:
I noticed someone tonight changed my vote from 8/10 to 4/10, which was a little annoying, as they have voted my app down, I've hit the vote to 10/10 as I do have the right to vote once, and I did notice last night a program was released called Rhapsody2x and had 0 downloaded but a vote 10/10, which I find unfair as developers should never vote for there own program.

Sorry man. Had to be done. Paradox for the win. ^^ "
Ignore the votes, though.

Worked fine for me. I shoved it into a different directory, it's just the dosbox.conf file or whatever it is uses an absolute path pointing to the file, check dosbox.conf in the 8088 demo folder:
[autoexec]
mount C "/mnt/sd/dosbox/8088_cor"

Are relative paths even possible, or would a relative path be relative only to the root, thus rendering it usless.... I may experiment just to be sure a absolute path is the only solution in this case, but I'm pretty sure it is.... I would test now, but TV is calling me.

Oh, and thanks for applying this patch to the most recent version. Does the mouse actually work? I have a break box and a usb mouse, yet to try it. If it does, that'll be ace. Maybe I can hope for Imperium galactica? I get the feeling that game may work at a too high resolution, though. Ah well, it can't hurt to test, which I will also do after TV :D

Later.

~~EDITS~~
Yeah, the mouse pointer movies when using the breakout board and stuff. Yet to try any mouse-using games yet, though.

White Demon posted on Aug 24 2006 at 02:53 AM said:
Macleod posted on Aug 21 2006 at 03:36 AM said:
Any chance someone can do an idiot's guide to dosbox?
I've tried everything but I cannot get this to work :(

I can't get anything to work either.

The supplied demo works fine, but no matter what games I try, nothing works.

Ive been using the Dosbox config creator 0.2 , and I've tried Epic Pinball, Push Your Luck, and 4D Stunts Driving (after reading here that someone else got it to run), but I just can't get anything to work.
Same here. The demo runs fine (and looks great!) so I know it works, but I can't get even the simplest DOS program to run. I've tried running the Dosbox config creator as well as manually editing the files.

Guess I'll wait for the idiot's guide as well. :(

Hm.. I was going to make an Idiot's guide, and already started working on a handy mapper.txt with function keys, number keys, Dosbox functions (turn off, change fskip/cpucycles) and with at least 5 keys free for the user to config. However, for some reason it doesn't work.
Anyone knows why it doesn't work? It can be found here:
http://home.deds.nl/~megagun/temp/mapper.txt

Anyways, to properly use Dosbox, you have to know plenty of things: video mode your game uses, standard DOS commands (although they're not really that hard) and a bit of knowledge how DosBox works..

Oh, here's something you might not know: when you try to load a game through dosbox, CaSe MaTtErS! START.EXE does NOT equal start.exe!

I myself have had problems getting the previous version to work, but this version works like a charm (Dosbox wise. not speed wise) with every game I try it with. I might go and release some Dosboxable preconfigged shareware games (Jumpjet! :p) packaged properly someday...

About Stunts (4d sports driving): it works for me, but it's really too slow (especially with 3d objects/tracktypes!) to be.. well... playable as you played the original. Even at CGA colours.

I figured out what I was doing wrong! If anyone makes up an Idiot's Guide, the very first instruction should be "make your config file changes using Programmer's Notepad, not Wordpad/Notepad/etc.!"

This is the second time I've had to learn this lesson. What a maroon I am. :rolleyes:

If you are still having problems please check the supplied .conf file. the dosbox config creator will be incompatable with this version as some things have changed in the .conf file.

Idiots guide will be up as soon as I recover from a long bankholiday weekend and have time to get round to it (it does not help I'm flying to cyprus in a few days ;) )

bOing

Well i'm stumped. I've been using dosbox on my pc for a year or two with no problems, and I havent got a clue as to how to get anything to work with the gp2x. I have gotten the demo to work, however.

I'm trying to get Wasteland (1988) to work, partly inspired by this post, which unfortunately is in German. http://forum.gp2x.de/viewtopic.php?p=36575

Can someone help?

I unzip the dosbox zip i downloaded.

Then i copy wasteland into the dosbox directory so i have /dosbox/wl

I copy dosbox.conf, mapper.txt and wl.gpe into the wl folder with the game

I edit wl.gpe

Code:
#! /bin/sh

/mnt/sd/cpu_speed.gpe 1 -20 280

DIRROOT=/mnt/sd/dosbox
DIRGAME=${DIRROOT}/wl

cd ${DIRGAME}
${DIRROOT}/dosbox -conf ${DIRGAME}/dosbox.conf

cd /usr/gp2x
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

Then I edit dosbox.conf
Code:
[sdl]
# fulldouble -- Use double buffering.
# output -- Can only be Surface for the gp2x.
# sensitivity -- Mouse sensitivity.
# mapperfile -- File used to load/save the key/event mappings from.

fulldouble=false
output=surface
sensitivity=100
mapperfile=mapper.txt

[dosbox]

# machine -- The type of machine tries to emulate:hercules,cga,tandy,pcjr,vga.
# memsize -- Amount of memory dosbox has in megabytes.

machine=vga
memsize=4

[cpu]
# core -- CPU Core used in emulation: simple,normal,full.
# Try simple first as this is the fastest, then normal and last full
# cycles -- Amount of instructions dosbox tries to emulate each millisecond.
# Too low and the game will crash randomly / not start up
# Too high and expect slowness
# Just right and you will get a nice speed boost
# 600-1200 ish seems to be about the sweet spot for the things I've tested. (older games)
# cycleup -- Amount of cycles to increase/decrease with keycombo.
# cycledown Setting it lower than 100 will be a percentage.

core=simple
cycles=500

[mixer]
# nosound -- Enable silent mode, sound is still emulated though.
# rate -- Mixer sample rate, setting any devices higher than this will
# probably lower their sound quality.
# blocksize -- Mixer block size, larger blocks might help sound stuttering
# but sound will also be more lagged.
# prebuffer -- How many milliseconds of data to keep on top of the blocksize.

nosound=false
rate=22050
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=30

[sblaster]
# sbtype -- Type of sblaster to emulate:none,sb1,sb2,sbpro1,sbpro2,sb16.
# sbbase,irq,dma,hdma -- The IO/IRQ/DMA/High DMA address of the soundblaster.
# mixer -- Allow the soundblaster mixer to modify the dosbox mixer.
# oplmode -- Type of OPL emulation: auto,cms,opl2,dualopl2,opl3.
# On auto the mode is determined by sblaster type.
# All OPL modes are 'Adlib', except for CMS.
# oplrate -- Sample rate of OPL music emulation.

sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=22050

[gus]
# gus -- Enable the Gravis Ultrasound emulation.
# gusbase,irq1,irq2,dma1,dma2 -- The IO/IRQ/DMA addresses of the
# Gravis Ultrasound. (Same IRQ's and DMA's are OK.)
# gusrate -- Sample rate of Ultrasound emulation.
# ultradir -- Path to Ultrasound directory. In this directory
# there should be a MIDI directory that contains
# the patch files for GUS playback. Patch sets used
# with Timidity should work fine.

gus=false
gusrate=22050
gusbase=240
irq1=5
irq2=5
dma1=3
dma2=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[speaker]
# pcspeaker -- Enable PC-Speaker emulation.
# pcrate -- Sample rate of the PC-Speaker sound generation.
# tandy -- Enable Tandy Sound System emulation (off,on,auto).
# For auto Tandysound emulation is present only if machine is set to tandy.
# tandyrate -- Sample rate of the Tandy 3-Voice generation.
# disney -- Enable Disney Sound Source emulation.

pcspeaker=true
pcrate=22050
tandy=auto
tandyrate=22050
disney=false

[dos]
# xms -- Enable XMS support.
# ems -- Enable EMS support.
# umb -- Enable UMB support (false,true,max).

xms=true
ems=true
umb=true

[autoexec]
# lines of code to boot the dos program go here
mount C "/mnt/sd/dosbox/wl"
c:
wl.exe

and for mapper, i usually just leave alone since I just want the game to run for the time being...

I start up the game and i get a black screen. So anyone see what i'm doing wrong? Your help would be appreciated. Thanks.

By the way, someone above said that they stupidly used notepad/wordpad and that wasn't a good idea. Why is this? Thats what i'm using...

I know it plays great on emulators (I play it a fair bit), but Psycho Pinball on DOS is a better version as it has better sounds than the MegaDrive version. The DOS version ran fine on a 286 computer at 16Mhz (as I recall) running MS DOS 6. I don't believe the DOS port of the GP2x version is up to this yet, am I right? Interestingly enough, it doesn't run on the Windows version of Dosbox (even though the web site says it does), I wonder if it will on the GP2x? Until then, no probs, I will carry on enjoying playing it on either of the two MegaDrive emus. It is a great pinball game.

32Me posted on Aug 26 2006 at 08:36 PM said:
I figured out what I was doing wrong! If anyone makes up an Idiot's Guide, the very first instruction should be "make your config file changes using Programmer's Notepad, not Wordpad/Notepad/etc.!"

This is the second time I've had to learn this lesson. What a maroon I am. :rolleyes:
Hey yeah haven't posted here before but figure its worth saying. I had the same problem. More particularly than just programmers notepad, the config files have to be saved in UNIX format - makes a lot of sense when you know the GP2x runs linux.

Still had me stumped for days and nowhere is it mentioned explicitly. Figured I'd best do it here, just in case there's anyone else just fell into linux thinking it works just like windows (its a trap for the unwary). It LOOKS like it does, but it doesn't. Its a simple matter of line returns...

On the plus side on getting over this, I discovered Raptor runs better than Tyrian, despite what the wiki says. still not running worms though..

Well i have found 2 things, which didnt help, but may help someone reading.

First, i found a program called "Flip" which will convert a file between dos, mac and unix formats. That's here: http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/~craig/utility/flip/

That might be useful to someone out there...

The second is that I checked my dosbox folder for read only files and there were suprisingly many of them. I would have guessed that this would have been the problem, but upon reloading, there was no change from my usual black screen.

In the end though, it's probably better to make sure all files are not read only.

but the quest continues..

EDIT - I did some experimenting with notepad, wordpad and the flip program. Seems that you don't need it if you're saving your files in ANSI as opposed to UNICODE, but i'm no expert. Can someone shed some light?

I've just been hunting round the house for early dos games to try out and came across the alone in the dark trilogy. Slightly higher powered than what i was thinking of, but the game box says the minimum spec is a 33MHz 386 (possibly less for the first game). I know dosbox is probably not up to it at the moment, but its not a million miles away. (I can always hope)

I'll have to wait to try it out as my gp2x is still in transit as i only ordered it a couple of days ago. :D

Go lik-sang (or do i mean go DHL?)

hicksman posted on Oct 7 2006 at 02:21 PM said:
Well i have found 2 things, which didnt help, but may help someone reading.

First, i found a program called "Flip" which will convert a file between dos, mac and unix formats. That's here: http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/~craig/utility/flip/

That might be useful to someone out there...

The second is that I checked my dosbox folder for read only files and there were suprisingly many of them. I would have guessed that this would have been the problem, but upon reloading, there was no change from my usual black screen.

In the end though, it's probably better to make sure all files are not read only.

but the quest continues..

EDIT - I did some experimenting with notepad, wordpad and the flip program. Seems that you don't need it if you're saving your files in ANSI as opposed to UNICODE, but i'm no expert. Can someone shed some light?
Does this mean more homebrew ports, directly from older games are coming?? Games like Hexxagon, Chinese Checkers, etc are far too slow on the DOS GP2x port, if they could be converted to UNIX and ported over to the GP2x, that would be great!

Hi, I'm really interested in getting a specific game running in this build, but as of yet I haven't actually managed to get it working.

The game is called Roketz, originally for the Amiga but a PC version was released by BlueMoon interactive and is freely downloadable from their website.

Is there an easy way for me to edit the conf files for dosbox in windows and save them in a way that it will read them properly? (proper linefeeds etc).

Hope someone can help, as Roketz really is a fantastic game and would be a fantastic addition to the gp2x arsenal, and considering it's free to download, even better!

newbe5

Edit:
Tried with a few settings, couldn't get it to run. Tried in the PC version of DosBOX and it runs fine, but on the GP2X the screen goes black as if it's going to start, the cursor appears in the top left of the screen, then it boots you back out to the GP2X menu (although the cursor is still in the top-left of the screen for everything you do until you cycle the power). Can anyone else try this out and let me know?

Back