DOSBox 0.74 + DBGL: The DOSBox Revolution

Nice article, thanks. Also noteworthy is the fact that ptitseb is doing all this fantastic and nontrivial work for free. Also often working with upstream to make the world a better place for everyone. I'm not sure whether Java deserves a 'though' in this article, though:)

The internet claims that the VM (and especially the JIT) itself is identical between Open and Oracle builds (but note that the Pandora PND's builds contain significantly different VM versions.) Depending on the use case the additional nonfree components of the Oracle build may make a significant difference. However, my point is that AFAICT in this particular use case neither performance nor nonfree components or other real and/or alleged deficiencies of Java are relevant. According to your own words, the frontend is working fine. Reimplementing it in whatever hip language of the day won't automatically improve it.

Well, it would make the program available to more people if it wasn't written in Java; I for one don't currently have either JRE installed on any of my machines, because I want to be sure it isn't used by my web browser or any network connected services. I guess it shouldn't be that hard to make sure it's installed no plugins in my .mozilla folder, and clear any variables out of my .bashrc so nothing can find it by default, but it's a little bit of hassle I've avoided by just not installing it anywhere.

On my Pandora it might be even harder to ensure java can't be accessed by anything I'm not aware of, but it shouldn't be running on any ports from an unmounted PND I guess, and I think I can trust PND authors to not employ it unnecessarily for network available services.

Well, it would make the program available to more people if it wasn't written in Java; I for one don't currently have either JRE installed on any of my machines, because I want to be sure it isn't used by my web browser or any network connected services. I guess it shouldn't be that hard to make sure it's installed no plugins in my .mozilla folder, and clear any variables out of my .bashrc so nothing can find it by default, but it's a little bit of hassle I've avoided by just not installing it anywhere.

On my Pandora it might be even harder to ensure java can't be accessed by anything I'm not aware of, but it shouldn't be running on any ports from an unmounted PND I guess, and I think I can trust PND authors to not employ it unnecessarily for network available services.

You don't need to install java, just download the zip, extract it in a folder, and that's it, the system will not use it, but you can, using the full path of the java executable

Very nice. I didn't realise the Steam version of Tomb Raider would work until reading your article, so thanks for that and the instructions.
I do however, get awful static noises in some of the videos and "cd audio" Is there some setting I should change. Apart from that it's really nice to play with the 3dFX support! ^_^

Very nice. I didn't realise the Steam version of Tomb Raider would work until reading your article, so thanks for that and the instructions.
I do however, get awful static noises in some of the videos and "cd audio" Is there some setting I should change. Apart from that it's really nice to play with the 3dFX support! ^_^
The videos get out-of-sync after some time. You should add a frameskip, as the cpu can't keep up with the flow for the video (or just skip them).
The Audo CD should be ok (at least, I have no issues on my side).

The videos get out-of-sync after some time. You should add a frameskip, as the cpu can't keep up with the flow for the video (or just skip them).
The Audo CD should be ok (at least, I have no issues on my side).
I think I currently use FS1. How much skipping would you recommend?

Well, I don't really know, I skip the video my self :S. Maybe @ekianjo has the awnser.
Aha... I increased FS to 2. and double checked my mount settings for the CD. It seems I was mounting the ISO with no selection for the filesystem. I was not getting any CDAudio and the weird garbled static sound.
I updated this to mount the ISO as FAT and BOOM! Tomb Raider is now playing perfectly. It seems I'd forgotten what it was supposed to sound like as I wasn't even getting the music on the menu previously...

Glad it works now.

Yeap music in menu, music in game, and good enough framerate in game in 3Dfx mode, and with the help of the DOSBox mapper, you can configure the action buttons (hints: first don't forget to unmap PGDN/PGUP/HOME/END function, then map the buttons to Space/ALT/CTRL/SHIFT and you're good to go).

When trying to play Blood, I'm crashing out before the game fully starts, anyone else getting this?

Ok, so CPU or Sound related. I'll try tonight.
[doublepost=1454448174,1454425445][/doublepost]
I've tried both.
Ok, I reproduce the crash (somewhere inside Normal1x_8_32_R)...
[doublepost=1454450735][/doublepost]@TrashyMG : I think you should launch the setup.exe I suspect you are now on 800x600 (after a trial in 3Dfx). After setting back to 320x200, it works for me.
but 3Dfx mode is still crashing...

@TrashyMG : I think you should launch the setup.exe I suspect you are now on 800x600 (after a trial in 3Dfx). After setting back to 320x200, it works for me.
but 3Dfx mode is still crashing..

Right you are, The regular version is now working.

Can you play blood smootly TrashyMG?
It's actually really playable on my 1Ghz unit at 1100Mhz... I'll need to try my Rebirth and First Batch ones.

Edit: Well my First Batch unit is a tad too slow in some parts to call it playable, my guess it's the same case with the rebirth as the issue isn't memory limited.

Last edited:
Yes it plays really good now, i have my unit on 1200Mhz

Darkforces and need for speed is now also good playable

Back