Dosbox Demo Video?

Oh hey! I just had a great idea. Forget Dosbox demos, see if you can get M-HT's static recompile of Warcraft 2 or Albion working! And maybe then compare them to their Dosbox emulated counterparts.

WizardStan said:
Oh hey! I just had a great idea. Forget Dosbox demos, see if you can get M-HT's static recompile of Warcraft 2 or Albion working! And maybe then compare them to their Dosbox emulated counterparts.

Indeed, but that would require M-HT having a Pandora and enough motivation for it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
timofonic said:
WizardStan said:

Indeed, but that would require M-HT having a Pandora and enough motivation for it :)
Not to mention some free time. :)
Also, it's Warcraft 1 and not Warcraft 2.
I have my Pandora ordered, so when I'll have it at home and I manage to find some free time, I'll get the statically recompiled games working on Pandora. (That means Albion, Warcraft 1, X-COM 1 and X-COM 2.)

M-HT said:
Not to mention some free time. :)
Also, it's Warcraft 1 and not Warcraft 2.
I have my Pandora ordered, so when I'll have it at home and I manage to find some free time, I'll get the statically recompiled games working on Pandora. (That means Albion, Warcraft 1, X-COM 1 and X-COM 2.)
*SQUEEEEEEE*

Played Pirates! Gold a few days ago on DosBOX. And Commander Keen 4. And Civilization (though that doesn't make much sense as FreeCiv is better).

Running nice :D

EvilDragon said:
Played Pirates! Gold a few days ago on DosBOX. And Commander Keen 4. And Civilization (though that doesn't make much sense as FreeCiv is better).

Good to hear:) i love commander keen because the nice gameplay and colorful sprites.

borgqueenx said:
EvilDragon said:

Good to hear:) i love commander keen because the nice gameplay and colorful sprites.

http://clonekeenplus.sourceforge.net

Sadly, it seems to not support Commander Keen 4. But supports the others and mods :)

M-HT said:

Never heard of Albion before but it looks really nice and I would love to play X-Com on my Pandora :)

timofonic said:
borgqueenx said:
EvilDragon said:

Sadly, it seems to not support Commander Keen 4. But supports the others and mods :)
That's only for Keens 1-3. Keens 4-6 are much better. And then there are the fan-made sequels, at least one of which I think is better than the original games... ED, it would be awesome if you could demo Commander Keen 8: Dead in the Desert next time you make a video. The download is here. It's a mod of Keen 6, so it should run fine in DOSBox. :)

Chip said:
Sargon said:
I believe System Shock's DOS requirements were a 486 DX/33, which would be just slightly over the Pandora's mid-386 estimate.
A 486 at 33MHz is not "slightly over" a 386 at 20MHz, it's twice as fast. As Wizardstan pointed out, games that require more speed than the Pandora can offer will still work, just not at the proper speed.
Just to clarify.... under dosbox & qemu we can expect a speed of 20 MHz 386 in EMULATION ? Can someone tell me what is the expected speed?

EDIT: remove confusing statements

Esn said:
timofonic said:
borgqueenx said:
EvilDragon said:

That's only for Keens 1-3. Keens 4-6 are much better. And then there are the fan-made sequels, at least one of which I think is better than the original games... ED, it would be awesome if you could demo Commander Keen 8: Dead in the Desert next time you make a video. The download is here. It's a mod of Keen 6, so it should run fine in DOSBox. :)
shiiiiiiit, i am a huge fan of commander keen.
I have keys of crodacia(or something like that, cant remember the exact name) and heard of dead in the desert.

Are there more keen mods? http://files.commanderkeen.org is dead, so is http://fortvortabella.commanderkeen.org ... :(

cosurgi said:
Just to clarify.... under dosbox & qemu we can expect a speed of 20 MHz 386, when Cortex ARM is running at 900Mhz ? Can someone tell me what is the expected speed?
If I recall correctly, at 600 Mhz we can expect about 4000 cycles. It was probably a bad idea to try and link that back to a real world system; all it's done is confuse people.

Wasn't it half of that, actually? Around 2000 cycles? I haven't followed the recent discussion, I have to admit.

mali said:
Wasn't it half of that, actually? Around 2000 cycles? I haven't followed the recent discussion, I have to admit.

I recall it more like 3000 cycles, but that one might have been some kind of guestimation, a long time ago.

WizardStan said:
If I recall correctly, at 600 Mhz we can expect about 4000 cycles. It was probably a bad idea to try and link that back to a real world system; all it's done is confuse people.
I edited and removed confusing stuff.

I guess that benchmarking qemu and dosbox, will be one of the first things to do.

Was there some kind of old DOS tools used to benchmark PC speed? You know, like those we have today that say "this computer: ... GHz" "Some other processor: ... GHz". Of course such results are questionable, who cares :)

I recall that one of devs with a devboard reported running SS1 under dosbox, and said that it was playable. As well as warcraft 1.

cosurgi said:
WizardStan said:
I edited and removed confusing stuff.

I guess that benchmarking qemu and dosbox, will be one of the first things to do.

Was there some kind of old DOS tools used to benchmark PC speed? You know, like those we have today that say "this computer: ... GHz" "Some other processor: ... GHz". Of course such results are questionable, who cares :)

I recall that one of devs with a devboard reported running SS1 under dosbox, and said that it was playable. As well as warcraft 1.

there was famous "HAL" [ dont remeber real name .. something like "3dscape" ] benchmark back in the dos days. Ths tool is still used in my prevoius working company CSS to benchmark repair'd laptops/pc's..

I'm not exactly familiar with DOS, but what happens when you go over the amount of cycles the device can handle? Like, if I set the Pandora at 12,000 cycles, what would it do?

Wolenber said:
I'm not exactly familiar with DOS, but what happens when you go over the amount of cycles the device can handle? Like, if I set the Pandora at 12,000 cycles, what would it do?
Goes slower. You're telling the Pandora to try and do more than it actually can. Imagine instead of "cycles" we said "play MP3s". It has the power to play 3000 MP3s all at the exact same time (it doesn't, but we'll pretend it does for demonstration purposes). You then start 12'000 MP3 players. It makes an attempt to play them all, but the result is that they all just slow down to about 1/4 speed or less, and so too does Dosbox when you tell it to run more cycles than it actually can.

Back