Dosbox For Gp2x 0.72-2

Pickle said:
Jdbye said:
I'm trying to get warcraft working (with sound), does anyone know what settings I need to set in the setup program for it to detect the emulated sound card? It asks me for a bunch of numbers which I just left at default (Sound Blaster) but the game says "Music card not found, run SETUP.EXE again" or something like that, then exits.
All of the settings are in the dosbox.conf
CODE

[sblaster]
# sbtype -- Type of sblaster to emulate:none,sb1,sb2,sbpro1,sbpro2,sb16.
# sbbase,irq,dma,hdma -- The IO/IRQ/DMA/High DMA address of the soundblaster.
# mixer -- Allow the soundblaster mixer to modify the dostbox mixer.
# oplmode -- Type of OPL emulation: auto,cms,opl2,dualopl2,opl3.
# On auto the mode is determined by sblaster type.
# All OPL modes are 'Adlib', except for CMS.
# oplrate -- Sample rate of OPL music emulation.

sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=11025

I know about that. I thought I had set them, then when I checked 5 minutes after I posted, sbtype was set to none, so I must've forgotten :p

EDIT: I have another issue. I can't seem to get the virtual keyboard to work - it appears fine I can open and close it, change colors, switch between the two screens, but no characters appear if I try typing with it.
I did add the lines from the virtual keyboard mapper file, i even tried removing everything else to make sure nothing was conflicting - it still doesn't work.

EDIT2: Still can't get the virtual keyboard to work, but warcraft works.
I also made a .gpe script for use with the file selector in gmenu2x, that lets you run dosbox with any .conf without having to make a .gpe for each. If people are interested in it, I'll share it, just ask. It's a very simple script (not that I have skills to make advanced ones :lol:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, great work, we all really appreciate someone still working on DOSBOX.

However I am having a huge issue, I cannot seem to get any games to run at all? I have checked all of my config files, and even deleted and re-added my Gmenu shortcuts, thinking they were the problem too.

I don't get any errors whatsoever, doesn't matter what game I try, they all just crash back to gmenu within 2-3 seconds.

Did the formatting of the config files change, and I should just start them from scratch?

All these games used to work, like 3-4 version ago, and now they just don't, what am I doing wrong?

DSR

dsraa said:

However I am having a huge issue, I cannot seem to get any games to run at all? I have checked all of my config files, and even deleted and re-added my Gmenu shortcuts, thinking they were the problem too.

I don't get any errors whatsoever, doesn't matter what game I try, they all just crash back to gmenu within 2-3 seconds.

Did the formatting of the config files change, and I should just start them from scratch?

All these games used to work, like 3-4 version ago, and now they just don't, what am I doing wrong?

DSR
where is dosbox located on your sd?

Still can't get the virtual keyboard to work, but warcraft works.

Keys are sent from the virtual keyboard using key B, is that what your using?

Pickle said:
dsraa said:

DSR
where is dosbox located on your sd?

I recently moved it from Root Dir of sd one level deep, into sd:/emulators/dosbox

Then I edited all of my config files to show proper directories for each game, I even edited my .gpe execs that I had for each game as well, so that they would point to the correct stuff.

Please note that my games stopped working before this.

Am I missing something? or should I just move everything back and start over?

DSR

dsraa said:
I recently moved it from Root Dir of sd one level deep, into sd:/emulators/dosbox

Then I edited all of my config files to show proper directories for each game, I even edited my .gpe execs that I had for each game as well, so that they would point to the correct stuff.

DSR
Well lets start with something simple. There a default.gpe script that comes with dosbox, if dosbox is located in /dosbox then that script should load up dosbox to blue screen and the prompt.
Once that is working maybe try it in /emulators/dosbox making the adjustments to the paths in default.gpe

If those work than and your other scripts dont, then there must be a typo. At that point you should pick one game you expect should always work and post the dosbox.conf and gpe script.

Pickle said:
dsraa said:

DSR
Well lets start with something simple. There a default.gpe script that comes with dosbox, if dosbox is located in /dosbox then that script should load up dosbox to blue screen and the prompt.
Once that is working maybe try it in /emulators/dosbox making the adjustments to the paths in default.gpe

If those work than and your other scripts dont, then there must be a typo. At that point you should pick one game you expect should always work and post the dosbox.conf and gpe script.

oh sh*t.....u will not believe what the fuck just happened. I went to edit the default.gpe file, and got the error that my write protection was on, which is typical happens all the time with that little tab that slides in the wrong direction.

so I take the card back out, and try to slide it foward, and of course, it slides completely out and falls under a fucking table, and I now notice the casing on my sd card is cracked all down that one side where the tab was!!!

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dsraa said:
oh sh*t.....u will not believe what the fuck just happened. I went to edit the default.gpe file, and got the error that my write protection was on, which is typical happens all the time with that little tab that slides in the wrong direction.

so I take the card back out, and try to slide it foward, and of course, it slides completely out and falls under a fucking table, and I now notice the casing on my sd card is cracked all down that one side where the tab was!!!

I feel for you I had a AData 4gb do the same thing. Im stickin to Sandisk for now i think.

Pickle said:
dsraa said:

I feel for you I had a AData 4gb do the same thing. Im stickin to Sandisk for now i think.

HAAA! That's the brand I have, AData! LOL!

dsraa said:
Pickle said:
dsraa said:

HAAA! That's the brand I have, AData! LOL!

Yep I had an Adata do the same thing to me. I feel for you. Like everyone else I'd just stick to Sandisk, PNY, or Transcend. At least 4gb SD cards are cheap these days. It still sucks regardless.

There are two touchscreen issues I've noticed:
1. It clicks before it moves. This can be really annoying in many games.
2. The touchscreen is inaccurate in Heroes of Might and Magic. It seems to be accurate in every other game I've tried though (although not 100% perfect), but Heroes of Might and Magic is just unplayable.

Jdbye said:
2. The touchscreen is inaccurate in Heroes of Might and Magic. It seems to be accurate in every other game I've tried though (although not 100% perfect), but Heroes of Might and Magic is just unplayable.
1. All movement is based on a click event. Would the noclick mapper button help you with this? I can take a look and see in what order the movement and click actions take place.
2. I dont know if we can improve this everything comes from the SDL lib, Does this have a higher res then 320x200, if so theres going to be a loss of accuracy.

Pickle said:
Jdbye said:
1. All movement is based on a click event. Would the noclick mapper button help you with this? I can take a look and see in what order the movement and click actions take place.
2. I dont know if we can improve this everything comes from the SDL lib, Does this have a higher res then 320x200, if so theres going to be a loss of accuracy.

It is definitely higher than 320x200 - The screen is scaled down, text is hard to read (there isn't much text though) but it's not only a loss of accuracy - it clicks at a completely different place than I want it to, and trying several times doesn't help. On issue #1 - Take for example Warcraft. If I move the cursor to the minimap, upon trying to move it away, it will click and move the active screen area to where the cursor was. Then I have to move it back, but if I use the minimap to move it back, chances are it'll move it away again when I move the cursor away, and moving the view by clicking at the screen edges is very slow.

Jdbye said:
Pickle said:
Jdbye said:

It is definitely higher than 320x200 - The screen is scaled down, text is hard to read (there isn't much text though) but it's not only a loss of accuracy - it clicks at a completely different place than I want it to, and trying several times doesn't help. On issue #1 - Take for example Warcraft. If I move the cursor to the minimap, upon trying to move it away, it will click and move the active screen area to where the cursor was. Then I have to move it back, but if I use the minimap to move it back, chances are it'll move it away again when I move the cursor away, and moving the view by clicking at the screen edges is very slow.
I did look at the code and the cursor is moved first then the click is generated, which is correct. But I dont have a F200 to debug this on and this was hitnrun's side of things.

Jdbye said:
1. let me see if I understand, I've read your warcraft example, you are saying that you click on the minimap, the cursor moves and clicks, then you click on another spot, first it clicks on spot the cursor was before, then it moves the cursor, then it clicks again on the new spot?

2. Yes there is a problem with Heroes of Might and Magic, as I recall it uses a weird resolution (like 600x400), and the touchscreen code isn't working well for it, I must take another look at it

If all goes well expect a 0.72-3 release this weekend.
I have fixed the OSD colors, OSD flicker( no flicker at all), mouse toggle is fixed, and I am very close to fixing the OSD's to work in all situations even during games that update the screen at a fast rate.

I am also considering adding a tab key to the VK, if any of you think this is needed and can use it let me know and if theres enough interest I will add it in some way.

I'd have thought the tab key would have some uses tbh. FPS games use it to bring up the auto-map and I'm sure lots of other games use it for similar things too...?

That said, I'll be honest and say I can't think of any off the top of my head!

Keep up the good work. Whats the latest with Betrayal At Krondor?

InsertFaveGameNameHere said:
I'd have thought the tab key would have some uses tbh. FPS games use it to bring up the auto-map and I'm sure lots of other games use it for similar things too...?

That said, I'll be honest and say I can't think of any off the top of my head!

Keep up the good work. Whats the latest with Betrayal At Krondor?
And what FPS actually run on the GP2X in dosbox? ;) Im probally going to add it in anyway its not hard. :)

Im assume your talking about xBak, well its been on hold without and SVN update for many months now. Note im not involved in the coding the engine, although at one point I was trying to help fix some bugs. If something new comes out ill try and add my control code and do another release, but until then ive moved onto other things as you can see.

hey pickle, your work on this sounds fantastic on all accounts :D , but i only get a blank black screen when running default.gpe or any of the other gpe's :( . The screen lasts one or two seconds then kicks me back to the main menu.
I'm using gp2x dosbox 0.72-2 with firmware 4.1.0 F100.

Any clue? Was 0.72-2 an upgrade from 072-1 instead of a full release? If so, then maybe im missing some files :rolleyes:

EDIT: It started working when i moved the dosbox directory back to the base directory of my SD card! I guess it doesnt like being in other directories :eek:
I saw another guy somewhere was this same problem, hope he reads.

EDIT2: then i noticed it wasnt reading the conf files from the subdirectories in dosbox. Like with the duke example, it wouldnt read the conf and so just do normal default dosbox. For now i'm putting a conf in the dosbox directory. Also, any idea roughly how many cycles dosbox can do on the gp2x? Handy to try out games on pc-dosbox with fixed cycles before throwing them on and setting them up :D

kitro said:
hey pickle, your work on this sounds fantastic on all accounts :D , but i only get a blank black screen when running default.gpe or any of the other gpe's :( . The screen lasts one or two seconds then kicks me back to the main menu.
I'm using gp2x dosbox 0.72-2 with firmware 4.1.0 F100.

Any clue? Was 0.72-2 an upgrade from 072-1 instead of a full release? If so, then maybe im missing some files :rolleyes:

EDIT: It started working when i moved the dosbox directory back to the base directory of my SD card! I guess it doesnt like being in other directories :eek:
I saw another guy somewhere was this same problem, hope he reads.

Glad you figured it out. Yes the startup scripts are setup to work from /mnt/sd/dosbox. If you move it all of your gpe scripts need to be updated. Same goes for the mount command in the dosbox.conf.

0.72-2 has new features mouse emulation, virtual keyboard. Read the readme well if you want to use these.

kitro said:
EDIT2: then i noticed it wasnt reading the conf files from the subdirectories in dosbox. Like with the duke example, it wouldnt read the conf and so just do normal default dosbox. For now i'm putting a conf in the dosbox directory. Also, any idea roughly how many cycles dosbox can do on the gp2x? Handy to try out games on pc-dosbox with fixed cycles before throwing them on and setting them up :D
You should be able to put the dosbox.conf, mapper.txt and the gpe script in each game folder. You just have to fix the paths. the cycles you need depend on the game. I think between 800-1000 might be the limit. But use the deug osd + the cycle mapper's and you can test the different cycles in real time.

Back