Dosbox Frontend For Pandora...

skeezix said:
... pickle built and included it in the dosbox pnd :)

jeff

Cool.

Okay, so I want to run zipped DOS games (with their files in the ZIP files) by simply selecting the games from a menu. How do I do this? Looked for info, but can't find any on this in particular...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure DosBox doesn't have support for running games within zip. It makes little sense to want to do this. Zip files don't have very good random access, so you'd be bogged down by massive slow downs, even if it were possible.

thepook said:
What are people using?

Automenu

won't help you with your zipped ROMs though... and I'm not sure it's even available anymore

WizardStan said:
I'm pretty sure DosBox doesn't have support for running games within zip. It makes little sense to want to do this. Zip files don't have very good random access, so you'd be bogged down by massive slow downs, even if it were possible.

i think there might be a patch to add it and its supported in those mega builds, But its not something i plan to add to the pandora version.

WizardStan said:

That makes sense.

Okay, so, files in folders. Do I have to type out the whole path + .exe file, or can I select from a menu?

small tutorial I wrote up on dosbox:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54883-dosbox-question/page__view__findpost__p__884848

MonkeyChops said:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54883-dosbox-question/page__view__findpost__p__884848

This does help. Thanks!

So, after fidgeting around for about an hour, I got games to play. Two questions:

*What's the best way to slow / throttle the speed? Do I need to run something like SloMo and, if so, how do I run it concurrently while DosBox is going?

*Tandy 3-channel sound doesn't seem to work on games (games I know have it supported). Did it not make it into this release?

thepook said:
MonkeyChops said:
http://www.gp32x.de...post__p__884848

This does help. Thanks!

So, after fidgeting around for about an hour, I got games to play. Two questions:

*What's the best way to slow / throttle the speed? Do I need to run something like SloMo and, if so, how do I run it concurrently while DosBox is going?

*Tandy 3-channel sound doesn't seem to work on games (games I know have it supported). Did it not make it into this release?

I think you need to take the time and read through the dosbox readme.
speed is controlled by the cycles option in the dosbox.conf, there no need for any 3rd party apps. Youc an also create a profile for the game you need to slow down in dboxfe, can the cycles from max to a small value, maybe 1000.
This dosbox is based off the svn so it has the cutting edge changes, check the dosbox.conf.

Pickle said:
thepook said:
MonkeyChops said:
http://www.gp32x.de...post__p__884848

This does help. Thanks!

I think you need to take the time and read through the dosbox readme.
speed is controlled by the cycles option in the dosbox.conf, there no need for any 3rd party apps. Youc an also create a profile for the game you need to slow down in dboxfe, can the cycles from max to a small value, maybe 1000.
This dosbox is based off the svn so it has the cutting edge changes, check the dosbox.conf.

Excellent. It's amazing how accurate the games look to what I remember; great program. Thanks!

Pickle said:
Youc an also create a profile for the game you need to slow down in dboxfe, can the cycles from max to a small value, maybe 1000.

Read through documentation, created profiles for cycles = 1000 and less. Older DOS games didn't slow down one bit; still too fast to play. I then tweaked every setting I could find in dosboxfe; nothing seemed to change, even after saving and so forth.

Next thing to try?

thepook said:
Pickle said:
Youc an also create a profile for the game you need to slow down in dboxfe, can the cycles from max to a small value, maybe 1000.

Read through documentation, created profiles for cycles = 1000 and less. Older DOS games didn't slow down one bit; still too fast to play. I then tweaked every setting I could find in dosboxfe; nothing seemed to change, even after saving and so forth.

Next thing to try?

run without fullscreen and confirm the cycles you set are the same (it shows up in the title bar)
if it shows up as 1000 then make it lower

Pickle said:
thepook said:
Pickle said:

Next thing to try?

run without fullscreen and confirm the cycles you set are the same (it shows up in the title bar)
if it shows up as 1000 then make it lower

FAWK! It's working. Excuse me; I'm apparently an idiot. :) My apologies - thank you for your help.

BTW, I've set Tandy sound to "on", but I'm still not hearing 3 channels of sound in any games with Tandy 3-channel sound. Is that unusual?

Back