DOSbox v Boxer

Cas

Hi

Been messing with DOSbox the last few days and find it a real chore, I just cannot cope with it :(

Then I bumped into Boxer, how user friendly is this compared to DOSbox ? In my book 100%

Could Boxer be ported over to the Pandora ? It would be good if it could :)

It's MAC software and refers Linux users to DosBox. (I guess this means no, even though the source is available.)

What's wrong with DosBox, apart from the fact that it's not fast enough on the Pandora for a lot of games?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's MAC software and refers Linux users to DosBox. (I guess this means no, even though the source is available.)

What's wrong with DosBox, apart from the fact that it's not fast enough on the Pandora for a lot of games?

Hi

I like the way in boxer that you can adjust games on the fly.

For me it is just more user friendly in every way :)

if you didn't live the DOS era or you're not a linux geek, you'll hardly get used to it.

Hi

You got it in one.

I have never ever owned a PC, my route went - Spectrum, Amiga, Apple

I have used DOS but only really really basic stuff.

Also not a Linux geek :)

Boxer is based on DosBox, it's some kind of front-end.

It would be nice to have something that good looking and easy to use on the pandora.

If we want the pandora to be a real success, it really needs to be as simple as possible to use.

Some easy to navigate interfaces with a bit of eye-candy on top, would help linux illiterates finding their way through and enjoy the Pandora.

I have never ever owned a PC, my route went - Spectrum, Amiga, Apple

I'm confused you said you never owned a PC, but then you said you owned those three Personal Computers.

-I'm taking back the term PC to mean any type of Personal Computer one thread at a time.

I think Cas meant, "x86"?
Oh I know what he meant...

Back in the day we used to call it an IBM compatible PC, because there was a wide variety of other "Personal Computers" on the market.. I think the a more modern term should be a Windows PC.. As do I think a Macintosh PC would be just as appropriate. Where I for one have a Linux PC.. Today there are little hardware differences between a Mac and a regular Windows PC other than price and forced limitations that MacOS X has that prevents it from running on regular x86 hardware.

I know it's semantics, but hey it annoys the hell out of me.

I personally like the term box..

Oh that's my Windows box over there and this is my Linux box here... It's just flows better.

Today there are little hardware differences between a Mac and a regular Windows PC other than price and forced limitations that MacOS X has that prevents it from running on regular x86 hardware.
If you're going to be pedantic, neither the price not the limitations of MacOS are hardware differences.

I personally like the term box..

Like X-Box :)

In my language there's a good slang word, which translates vaguely into "tin-box". The word was born to distinguish early PCs from 8-bit computers (usually plastic) but happens to be more or less valid even nowdays.

Today there are little hardware differences between a Mac and a regular Windows PC other than price and forced limitations that MacOS X has that prevents it from running on regular x86 hardware.
If you're going to be pedantic, neither the price not the limitations of MacOS are hardware differences.

True, I type out my sentences just like how I think... in a jumbled mess. that was supposed to be two points, but I jumbled them up.. kind of like how you used not instead of nor.

Hi

I should have stated, I have never owned a microsoft driven computer, I have always referred to these as PCs, and that is being polite :)

Anything other than that I have always referred to by name IE: Spectrum, Amiga, Apple (Mac) etc

Anything other than that I have always referred to by name IE: Spectrum, Amiga
Which many people refer to as "home computers" rather than "personal computers". :p

Speaking of semantics...

Then I bumped into Boxer, how user friendly is this compared to DOSbox ? In my book 100%
So what you are saying is Boxer is exactly as user-friendly as DOSbox?

Why not just use DOSbox? :lol:

Speaking of semantics...

Hi

Boxer is driven buy DOSbox and is 100% user friendly.

DOSbox as a standalone program I cannot get on with.

Said it twice now :p

I will have to agree, Boxer really is a brilliant piece of software. Having a front-end like that as an option for the Pandora would be a boon for those unfamiliar with the way DOSBox is usually operated.

I'm fine with the already-existing DOSBoxFE, myself, but I can certainly see the benefit of a Boxer-like option. :p

I'll guess that a number of folks here aren't familiar with it. Basically, it makes using DOSBox little different from using a console emulator - you drop your game from its original installation media onto the Boxer icon, and it "packages" it up so that you can simply double-click the icon for that game, and it will run. If memory serves (it's been a while since I last used it), settings are remembered per-game, as well. It works beautifully.

Speaking of semantics...

Hi

DOSbox as a standalone program is I cannot get on with.

The math is not strong with this one. :rolleyes:

I think you meant to say "how user friendly is this compared to DOSbox ? In my book 200%"

Or 110%, or 1000%. Hell, I don't know what you were getting at exactly, because 100% is 1. THE SAME.

Speaking of semantics...

Hi

DOSbox as a standalone program is I cannot get on with.

The math is not strong with this one. :rolleyes:

I think you meant to say "how user friendly is this compared to DOSbox ? In my book 200%"

Or 110%, or 1000%. Hell, I don't know what you were getting at exactly, because 100% is 1. THE SAME.

Hi

What exactly is your problem ?

Oh and please do not tell ME what I meant to say.

And please do not give me maths lessons either.

Back