Dosbox W/ Windows

use Bochs instead? it took 7 minutes to boot windows 95 with the gp2x... quicker than 10 minutes i guess, and since we're looking at a 3-4x performance increase with Pandora compared to gp2x, 7/4=1 min 45 sec boot? maybe, probably more like 2-3 minutes or something. i'm really not into PC emulation.

As unlikely as windows through dosbox or qemu seems, until we get our hands on the pandora, everything is purely speculative.

When my pocketpc worked, I could get windows 3.0 working in any of the various DOS emulators available for that platform, but I could never get the 3.1 installer to complete. My pocketpc was the best of its time (with an astounding 624 mHz arm5), but apparently some people were able to get windows 95 and even 98 working by using a trick to make the emulator scale a 640 * 480 resolution to the smaller screen. I'm pretty sure that involved doing the install on a real machine, and then copying the contents of the disk, however.

Point is, yeah, I agree with everyone else. Anything up to 95 and maybe beyond will boot eventually, but I wouldn't expect anything good to run. The only reason I could see doing it would be if I wanted to use windows 3.1 as a launcher for DOS programs. (It did have a very nice interface... Which it ripped off from mac, but w/e.)

If someone actually used qemu and wine to get Windows 95 running fully optimized for the Pandora, what would be the best practical thing that it could do?

Solontus said:
If someone actually used qemu and wine to get Windows 95 running fully optimized for the Pandora, what would be the best practical thing that it could do?
Start>Run>Notepad.exe *Enter*

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
Solontus said:
I'd personally guess "nothing that the Pandora itself couldn't do natively", myself. :p

Zarneth said:
While it's possible dosbox may take a few shortcuts in it's emulation which may cause win95 to fail (haven't tried it myself)... are you aware Win95 is just a big fat-arse dos program?

As it happens, this is something which I followed very closely back in the day.

Almost exactly 10 years ago, Caldera tried to do this very thing... their aim was to get Windows 95 to run on top of DRDOS. From what I recall, Windows 95 boots DOS first, and then modifies the DOS kernel in-memory (!), patching the OS functions like 'open file' etc so that they are intercepted and emulated by the win32 kernel.

For this to work, it means that the DOS kernel has to be the right 'shape', i.e. this particular instruction has to be at this particular location, all the internal data structures have to be the same size etc, or it will end up inserting the patches in the wrong place and it'll just die. That, IIRC, is also why you can't run Win95 SP1 off the SP2 DOS kernel, or Win98 off the Win95 DOS kernel etc - they have to be byte-for-byte compatible.

For some of the gory details about the code patching, a good book on the subject is 'Unauthorised Windows 95' by Andrew Schulman, if you can find it.

Long story short, Caldera did manage to make a version of their kernel that booted Windows 95, but it wasn't something that could easily be generalised. Likewise, if you had a team of incredibly talented people, you'd be able to make DOSbox interface with a specific build of win95 (and no other), but it probably wouldn't be worth the effort.

Windows 3.1 runs very nicely on Dosbox. I have it running on my PC at home - a P3 600.

I was quite surprised at how little some applications have changed!

Logokas said:
Windows 95 cannot be run in DOSBox because it's a DOS emulator, not a WINDOWS one.

Windows 95 is possible hardware wise, but considering the portwork, an emulation would probably be a bit slow.
I Beg to differ. It is possible to run Windows95 in Dosbox

Windows 3.11 & Gem on Dosbox
Windows 95 on Dosbox
And an extra video including some links to getting Windows95 on Dosbox up and running

Windows 3.1 is basically a Windowing environment that sits on top of Dos, so why can't Windows95 be emulated in the same way? Well until recently the hardware/software environment supplied by the Dosbox emulator just wasn't up to providing a Windows95 compatible environment but lately things have changed.
some links to useful information
http://vogons.zetafleet.com
a great forum dedicated to emulation and Doxbox. Use the search function and you'll get the information you need to get your own stuff running.

Mark1970 said:

Remarkable! That must have taken some serious work to pull off.

jpmorris said:
Mark1970 said:

Remarkable! That must have taken some serious work to pull off.
@jpmorris Well it was. And it won't run nicely on the Pandora I think. But I just had to try this, just to see if it was possible. I must add to it that the Windows 3.1x installation is pretty usable, but the Windows95 installation is very crash prone. So I consider Windows95 still 'off limits' for regular use under DosBox.

Back