Double Upgrade question

rohezal

Advanced Member
This question was in my mind when I answered a post.

Let's say I am a preorder who upgraded at craigs shop to a ghz pandora. Then I don't want to wait for an unknown time and upgrade at EDs shop too.

I paid twice the production price of a pandora (plus preorder money). Will I get:

1) 2 Pandoras since I paid for two?

2) 1 Pandora and a refund at craigs upgrade money?

3) 1 Pandora

If 1) (2 Pandoras), one of the Pandoras can be shipped now, the other can be moved in a low priority queue. So when all problems are gone and the pandora profits got everyone a pandora, they will receive a second pandora which they can sell or give it as present to a friend etc.

This way a lot of people would upgrade at EDs shop I think, since they will get something for the money. They get one pandora NOW and will get an other pandora for the 800$ they allready paid, when the time has come.

Sounds a lot of better then "you paid 800$ to get your unit soon and now you have to wait a long, unknown time. Now pay additional 400$ to get your pandora now from another shop.".

Last edited by a moderator:
A 1GHz unit is ~$800 (https://www.dragonbox.de/en/27-main-consoles-and-upgrades). I'm not sure how much the "cross upgrade" is, you'll still only get one unit, but you won't have paid double the costs.

If it's $400 for the cross upgrade, you could buy a new 600MHz one from ED for that price (though thats ~$500), and still hope to get your 1GHz through at some point. If you "upgrade", you'll still only get one unit.

I don't know if you get a refund from Craig if you cross-upgrade, I would suspect not, but I don't know

Its a bit scary to see the term cross upgrade become so ubiquitious. What next dual cross upgrade. Pre-orders are evil,bad,intrinsically malevolent, nefarious,no good sons of a viking gypsy?

Well the cost of producing a unit is around 400$. When I would have paid the preorder price + 400$ I would have funded one Pandora. If I would pay the 400$ again I have funded a second Pandora.

I understand that the first pandora cant be delivered, since craig is out of money right now. But the second one could be delivered right now from ED. If the first unit would be placed in a low priority queue (the bad word with q), I could get a pandora right now and a second one later. For paying 400$ more. I think if it would work this way, the 70 preorder guys (and girls) would most pay again to their pandora right now. And get a part their money back if they sell their second Pandora when it arrives.

600MHz unit is actually around $500 (according to DragonBox), and the 1GHz, which is $700, and you indicated that you upgraded to a 1GHz unit. But you're comparing the crossover charge ($400) to the cost of your 1GHz unit, which is higher.

Ultimately, you'll get either a 1GHz Pandora or a refund from Craig.

If you buy a new 1GHz Pandora from ED/Ithic, that's another $700, but with either a 2nd one, or refund for the first coming down the line from Craig.

If you buy a 600MHz one, that's $500 - which is a little more than the crossover. It's not the same as you're getting off Craig, but again, your order is still open and you'll eventually have a 1GHz too (or a refund)

If you pay $400 to cross your 1GHz order to ED, you'll get a 1GHz unit in a quick timescale, and you'll have no outstanding business with Craig (or anyone else); You're done, you can go home not wondering when your Pandora is coming or if you'll ever get a refund etc.

ED couldn't sell you 1GHz units for half price, he'd make a loss, and that's not a good business practice

600MHz unit is actually around $500 (according to DragonBox), and the 1GHz, which is $700, and you indicated that you upgraded to a 1GHz unit. But you're comparing the crossover charge ($400) to the cost of your 1GHz unit, which is higher.

Ultimately, you'll get either a 1GHz Pandora or a refund from Craig.

If you buy a new 1GHz Pandora from ED/Ithic, that's another $700, but with either a 2nd one, or refund for the first coming down the line from Craig.

If you buy a 600MHz one, that's $500 - which is a little more than the crossover. It's not the same as you're getting off Craig, but again, your order is still open and you'll eventually have a 1GHz too (or a refund)

If you pay $400 to cross your 1GHz order to ED, you'll get a 1GHz unit in a quick timescale, and you'll have no outstanding business with Craig (or anyone else); You're done, you can go home not wondering when your Pandora is coming or if you'll ever get a refund etc.

ED couldn't sell you 1GHz units for half price, he'd make a loss, and that's not a good business practice

So does that mean I'll get the 400$ back when ? cause I already paid in full for the 1ghz unit

No. There's no money coming your way from a cross-upgrade order (AFAIK, ED would probably be best to give you clear boundaries to the cross-upgrade process). Those three options are in their entirety.

The $400 dollars is paying a one company to fulfill an order from a *different* company.

Edit: I've asked ED if he could post clarification on the cross-upgrade process somewhere

Well, I've already done a cross upgrade with ED after having upgraded with Craig ($750~ paid on top of original preorder). I did this with the understanding that I would only receive a single 1GHz unit as a result (ie. considering what I paid Craig a "donation"). It would be really annoying for me to lose out (yet again!) by pre-ordering/upgrading/cross-upgrading at the wrong time. <_<

While I understand the idea, I don't exactly see how it helps ED/Craig, as the queue would remain just the same and they'd have one less 1GHz unit which can be sold at full price.

The queue doesn't remain the same. Okay the "number" doesn't change immediately, but you've transfered your order from Craig's shop to ED's shop, and ED's the one who's producing the units. If he doesn't already have any in stock, he will get GC to produce another batch, and then send one of them to you.

It would be really annoying for me to lose out (yet again!) by pre-ordering/upgrading/cross-upgrading at the wrong time. <_<

The idea is to give people who preordered and payed the GHZ upgrade 2 times 2 Pandoras. This way the won't feel losing. They paid the production price of the pandora 2 times and paid with the preorder the development cost.

The first pandora should be delivered right now from ED, the second one when all queues are cleared (ghz queue and preorder batches queues). This way a lot more people would pay for the upgrade at ED and will get a pandora right now. Less bad blood in the forums and no lost since it is covering its own cost. And its just around 70 people.

Dunno, I guess it's up to ED if he wants to offer this option or not.

To me it seems like a bad idea to agree to deliver 140 Pandoras (70 now and 70 in the future) instead of only 70.

Yes they would get some extra cash from the re-upgrade, but they could use those 70 units for new sales instead to get more money ($600 each instead or $400 each). In both cases there will be 70 Pandoras left to deliver in the future.

Back