Draft Page Brainstorming

Actually it is common practice in digital art to utilized an image (most of which are usually copyrighted) as reference to create some form of art, especially if you don't intend to sale/distribute with means of making money. What I'm doing is legal, as it's only a fan game (homebrew).

In other news: heres another simple (kinda bare...sorry) example of what I initially thought retro_shooter (my game) was going to be.

So, basically I could make a 1:1 clone of a Mario/Mentroid/Pokemon Game using original Ingame Graphics as long as declare it a fan game and don't try to make any money of it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good question; Actually there is people doing that now, goto yoyogames.com and see what I mean. my game actually won't be a 1:1 clone, he's the playable character in it though. my original posting picture doesn't look anything like it though, just an example of the main point of the topic.

(Man there's allot new people popping up in this thread.)

Alright peeps, my last post of the year, I got my beer one hand, and champaign glass in the other. To all people who joined this forum this year, you may want to check out the "Important topics" section and read the "Things you don't do" post. Thanks.

Game_over said:
In other news: heres another simple (kinda bare...sorry) example of what I initially thought retro_shooter (my game) was going to be.

Hmm I dont think I can state just how much more I prefer the red on black design idea to yet another graphical copy of mario! seriously man if you are going to make this game elevate yourself above copying someone elses charachter and create your own! it would also give a great 'unique' 'different' 'stand out' look to your game if you eschewed the usual clouds and bushes for some crazy neon dudes on floating playforms maybe make certain elements cartoony like projectiles, power ups and bosses and the characters head phones! a real mash of the two styles all of your own design could be amazing.

You really could have something bold and different here...or another mario style rip off(graphics wise)

Thanks for constructive input stustaff, I really do appreciate it. That's exactly the reason why I created this thread, for us to post an idea of a game that may work well for the Pandora, and get feedback to better it. I agree with you about being original, and that's been my intention from the start. I planned on making five games, each one involves a facet of my gaming tastes, it's a huge project that is going to be my way of expressing myself and contributing to this amazing community.

As far as the Mario game is concerned, consider this: most DJ's take songs they grew up with, many from their childhood, and incorporates some of their other tastes and creates a remix. They share their remixes as a way of expressing themselves, usually with something that is familiar, their influence.

That's an influence of mine, and I want to make my remix. It's not going to be a made by game maker, super mario world 1-2 #564 game at all. It's just putting a little bit of yourself in what's familiar to make something different, and hopefully better. Some people may dig it, others won't, but as long as I am able to express myself, I'm good. That's why I'm a artist in the open source scene.

Thanks again!

ideas are the greatest game motors =`] keep up the great job, guys!

I have one idea i've been working on, but unfortunately it's not for the pandora.
it involves the rock band drums, a ddr pad and a giant mad ape :lol:

wyniwyg.png

Just a graphical brainwave...

Good work :) One little mistake, the controls on the front have changed, look here:
www.openpandora.ca

kin said:
wyniwyg.png

Just a graphical brainwave...
Very nice work. Looks polished and professional. :) This style should be the official Pandora promotion. And yes, as mentioned, the Power switch now is on the left side. ^_^

nice job kin!

TaG said:
I like that latest pic, Game_over. Tell us more...
I was thinking of a mini-game that's a cross between basketball and some weird 2d death-match.

I like that a LOT however the icons are WAY too small, I want to be able to read them and use my fionger to select.

On the Iphone screen you can get 20 icons taking up the whole screen except one small strip on the top Pandora apps need to be the same size in real life so 24 apps at most I reckon. work out size based on that.

very nice man, I agree, the images could be larger but I think you did that more as a proof than anything. Nice loading cube image. Keep em coming!

kin said:
thnx! True... it's too small on the screen. I'll make it bigger.
IMHO the size of these icons (and font below) should be read from the user settings, as to make them look consistently with desktop icons.

great idea.

(bumpped before getting completely buried by more useless threads.)

Back