Drag And Drop

azurege

Website
Visit site
Linux noob here, I assume it should be simple to drag and drop icons around the desktop, only I cant seem to be able to do it with any degree of success, it seems it randomly drags them sometimes and not others, is there a button I can hold down while I drag the icon about, or have I got the mouse settings set-up wrong, I have played about with the Drag and Drop threshold, but this seems to have absolutely no effect.

The simplest of things, driving me round the bend!!

Also, is there a way to arrange icons by name/size etc on the desktop as there is in a folder?

Thanks in advance.

I have the same problem, no way to customize the desktop icons through the GUI.

One thing I did notice, it that it seems that, by default it arranges icons alphabetically, and more irritating it reserves space for the default Icons (Home, Filesystem, Trash and Removeable Devices). My guess is that there's probably some cryptic .conf file that needs editing to customize icon spacing, ect. I couldn't find any way to change in the GUI either.

Apologies if this response is a gravedig.. however it is still unanswered.

Twiitcher

Twiitcher said:
I have the same problem, no way to customize the desktop icons through the GUI.

One thing I did notice, it that it seems that, by default it arranges icons alphabetically, and more irritating it reserves space for the default Icons (Home, Filesystem, Trash and Removeable Devices). My guess is that there's probably some cryptic .conf file that needs editing to customize icon spacing, ect. I couldn't find any way to change in the GUI either.

Apologies if this response is a gravedig.. however it is still unanswered.

Twiitcher
While definatly possible, it's tricky to move the icon on the desktop.
It should'nt be selected, then drag it to the place you want. If it didn't work (which is likely) unselect it, and try again :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm afraid I can't help with the drag-and-drop issue, but regarding the default icons, you can at least disable any or all of these if desired (I have all of them deactivated, myself, both on my Pandora and on my main computer, which also uses Xfce). To do so, right-click on the desktop, and have a poke around in the Desktop Properties window.

You just have to be quick doing the drag and drop...
In regards to the settings you can find them were prometheus has the right idea.

If only I could use xbmc or netbooklauncher instead....

Back