DraStic Nintendo DS emulator teaser video

Oooooh more questions!

How far are you planning on going, in terms of hardware support?

Will local/Wifi play be possible, both with other Pandoras and with actual DSs?

Will Microphone be supported?

Oooooh more questions!

How far are you planning on going, in terms of hardware support?

the option between pandora and ds would be nice,especially with pokemon games

Do you have plans to integrate GBA compatability into DraStic?
I've considered doing a new GBA emulator, but I wouldn't do both with the same emulator. Although GBA is close to a subset of DS's functionality there's some major tuning decisions for how to best emulate them, and I don't really want to try to do this with the same codebase. So if I ever do it it'll probably be a fork.

if that sideways thing is an option then ok,but please exo don't make the emu to show the screen ONLY that way :(
Of course I would not make this the only option or the default for that matter.

Will you participate in the Dragonbox compo? I don't think the "Emulator" category will have that many entries, and with something like this I think you're pretty much guaranteed to win 1st prize.
I might enter it in the competition if it aligns well with an initial release but I won't make any compromises to hit it.

_wb_ said:
Also, would non-integer scaling be a good idea? E.g. have one screen x2.5 (640x480) and the other x5/8 (160x120) or x0.5 (128x96).
While this would be cool it's unfortunately not something I can do nearly as efficiently as the other options. With Pandora what you get is basically one scaled surface and one unscaled surface. There's another hardware scaled surface but the OS is using it for TV-out. So I'd have to scale at least one of those screens in software. A 0.5x scaler could be done reasonably efficiently (assuming it just averages four pixels down to one), but since it's more work it's not something I'd really like to deal with any time soon.

DS's wifi is very complex, I'm in over my head just trying to figure out the minimum to emulate to make games even work with it. So I have no specific plans to try to emulate such a thing..

PokeParadox said:
Hopefully, although it isn't yet.

32841691.jpg

neeed resist making jokes about the screens... arg...

Great job you did there Exophase, I'm really looking forward to this...

I wonder how it would hold up with GTA Chinatown wars?
Seems mostly 2D.

Don't know what you're saying, this game is clearly fully 3D.
Whoop! Sorry. Been awhile, thought it was more like original GTA on psx.

Nevermind. Still a rocking game!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Great news. There also seems to be some nds emulators being worked on android such as nds4droid and Dsoid which  supposedly uses or plan to use exophase's dynarec but we can all guess Pandora's native port will be much better.

Now the mammoth problem of getting two DS screens on to the single Pandora screen has been resolved, the rest should be straight forwards! [1]

Amazing work, watching the videos is surreal, playing upon release will be even better! If you do manage to enter the competition I wish you the best of luck!

[1] This is just a joke, unfortunately a relatively bad one.

So, which titles would be a good match for this emulator? Is it too early to start drawing up a list?
Afraid it is too early, since it's impossible to tell what uses 3D just by looking at it. Unless you use another emulator that lets you look at the IO regs or something.

yes, it is probably easier toport a 2d game using the DS 3d engine than rewriting the game for it's 2d tile engine... lots of 2d games are in fact using the 3d engine...

yes, it is probably easier toport a 2d game using the DS 3d engine than rewriting the game for it's 2d tile engine... lots of 2d games are in fact using the 3d engine...
On the other hand, there are games made by game companies with GBA experience, these game engines are likely to use 2D.

Plus, 3D can only be displayed on one screen at a time, so unless you're willing to sacrifice a bunch of VRAM and cut your framerate in half you'll want to use 2D for one screen. Contra 4 for instance uses conventional 2D for one screen and 3D for the other, even though they're both drawing the same sort of stuff.

Oh ?

I didn't know only one screen can do 3D at a time ! Is there any other "fun" fact about the DS ?

Back