Release DraStic Nintendo DS emulator

Thanks Exophase! Impressive work!

It's amazing to play games with this emulator. My old phat DS had it's screens almost dead, so I`m really enjoying this way of playing (bigger and brighter screens too!). Pretty much every game I've tried worked perfectly (Dementium, both asphalt GT, Ghost Trick, Diddy Kong Racing, Super Mario 64 DS, Dragon Ball Z - Supersonic Warriors 2, Orcs and Elves, etc). Though there are a few that have some issues:

Dementium II. Seems to freeze, both screens looks white.

Final Fantasy  XII. In the upper screen, the bottom part seems to render black in some frames during intro video. [No game breaker].

Golden Sun. Graphical issues looking like vertical bars. Looks like freezing, but keeps flickering and audio seems to keep playing (hard to describe for me).

Need for Speed Underground 2. Graphical glitches in the car wheels. [No game breaker].

Need for Speed Carbon. At start, the image displayed in the upper screen seems to partly render over the lower screen. [No game breaker].

GTA Chinatown Wars. Works as it should, has stuttering when text is draw in cutscenes and when roaming around the city. [Not really a game breaker, just slow].

Okamiden hangs my enitre system - requires system restart

Bowsers Inside Story - crashes back to desktop

(only mentioning the games I've tried so far with issues)

I'm playing Blood Bowl on my pandora. Not that it is the best DS game in the world, but for an old Games Workshop aficionado like me, it is a very special feeling indeed.

It's amazing to play games with this emulator. My old phat DS had it's screens almost dead, so I`m really enjoying this way of playing (bigger and brighter screens too!). Pretty much every game I've tried worked perfectly (Dementium, both asphalt GT, Ghost Trick, Diddy Kong Racing, Super Mario 64 DS, Dragon Ball Z - Supersonic Warriors 2, Orcs and Elves, etc). Though there are a few that have some issues:

Final Fantasy  XII. In the upper screen, the bottom part seems to render black in some frames during intro video. [No game breaker].

Golden Sun. Graphical issues looking like vertical bars. Looks like freezing, but keeps flickering and audio seems to keep playing (hard to describe for me).

Need for Speed Underground 2. Graphical glitches in the car wheels. [No game breaker].

Need for Speed Carbon. At start, the image displayed in the upper screen seems to partly render over the lower screen. [No game breaker].

GTA Chinatown Wars. Works as it should, has stuttering when text is draw in cutscenes and when roaming around the city. [Not really a game breaker, just slow].
My Golden Sun crashes back to desktop right after the first logo pops up. Which model do you have? I'm having a Rebirth and really would like to play this game =/

^ I'm using a 1GHz version. The game is unplayable, it's not working properly. Instead of a crash after the first logo I just get flickering and vertical bars. I have to press escape several times to exit the emulator.

This works really great, very very smooth, tnx a lot for all your hard work.

One request, if its not too much, i am one of those people that doesnt care about aspect ratio, i care more about having my screen filled.

Would it be possible to have both screens side by side, and have them stretched to fill?

Last edited by a moderator:
This works really great, very very smooth, tnx a lot for all your hard work.

One request, if its not too much, i am one of those people that doesnt care about aspect ratio, i care more about having my screen filled.

Would it be possible to have both screens side by side, and have them stretched to fill?
Non-aspect scaling would be great for all modes - I play a few games where one screen or the other is pointless (Animal Crossing currently) and filling the screen with one emulated display would be nice.

D.

Can't we use already just show a single screen and play using that scaled to fill the Pandora screen(with borders at the side to preserve aspect ratio)?

Can't we use already just show a single screen and play using that scaled to fill the Pandora screen(with borders at the side to preserve aspect ratio)?
Yes but apparently some people must have the image distorted to avoid dead space on 20% of the screen.

I'm still probably not doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes but apparently some people must have the image distorted to avoid dead space on 20% of the screen.

I'm still probably not doing it.
I *like* it to be distorted! Ah well... looks like I'll have to get the disassembler out then.

D.

Thank you for the reports. I've looked at the games that you listed as having more severe problems:

Dementium II: Was in an infinite loop reading a status bit that it shouldn't have been able to set. Easy fix, works now.

Golden Sun Dark Dawn: This game looks like it has a whole bunch of problems. It uses a graphics mode that I don't have emulated (that's why one of the screens looks all corrupt) and it uses sound capture in a way that creates serious audio problems if it's not emulated (I don't emulate it but probably can eventually). But the biggest problem is that it modifies code a lot, like dozens of times a frame as opposed to once a frame like I've seen the next worst games do it. So this won't get better until I start doing things very differently.

GTA Chinatown Wars: It triggers self modifying code a lot during some scenes because it modifies a literal pool value. The worst of it goes away if I track regions that are modified a lot and stop doing literal pool optimization if it's over one of those regions. But it's still stuttery in the city due to real code modification.

Most real self-modifying code, even Golden Sun's happens in the 32KB of ITCM. I'm changing the emulator so that there's a separate translation cache for it. Should make intermittent modifications to it a lot less expensive. From there I'll work on further optimizing things so that they have less of an impact.

Splinter Cell works very well except it crashes when night vision is turned on.

Back