Nintendo 3Ds A.k.a. Nintendo Ds2


Nintendo

Nintendo Switch
Joined
Oct 8, 2005
Messages
13,407
Location
Melbourne, VICTORIA - AUSTRALIA
At E3, Nintendo will be announcing new hardware, the Nintendo 3DS.

Nintendo describes the portable as allowing games to be "enjoyed with 3D effects without the need for any special glasses". According to Nintendo, the product will go on sale between November 2010 and March 2011.

The Nintendo 3DS will succeed the Nintendo DS series and will have backward compatibility for Nintendo DS and DSi games.

In early January, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata gave an interview with Japan's second largest newspaper The Asahi Shimbun in which he apparently said the Nintendo DS successor will have "highly detailed graphics, and it will be necessary to have a sensor with the ability to read the movements of people playing".

Nintendo of America later told Kotaku that the Asahi Shimbun had "misinterpreted" Iwata's remarks. "Mr. Iwata did not make any comments regarding the functions of Nintendo's future hardware systems," Charlie Scibetta, Nintendo of America's senior director of corporate communications told Kotaku. "The answer to the reporter's question was misinterpreted."

The Asahi Shimbun stands by its reporting and issued a statement to Kotaku Japan that read: "The article quoted Nintendo President Satoru Iwata's comment accurately." The actual quote in the article is a fragment of a longer sentence.


At a Nintendo quarterly Q&A, the exec addressed the issue with the Asahi Shimbun, asserting that the reporter stated, "The graphics for the next DS will be highly detailed and it will contain a motion sensor, right?" Iwata claims he then replied, "Those things are naturally being required. But do you think it would sell with just that?" Iwata emphasized that this last part was left completely out.

It appears that the extra element Nintendo believed was necessary to really sell the DS successor is 3D.

Regarding 3D, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has previously stated that Nintendo would need to look into the "possible health effects" of playing video games in 3D for prolonged periods of time.

http://www.examiner....o-3DS-announced

w00t~!!!

- New portable hardware
- To be announced at E3
- Uses 3D, no glasses needed
- Released before March 2011
- Also it's confirmed as backwards compatible with DS and DSi games!
- Yeah!!!
- Gamecube/Wii graphics!!!

"According to the Nintendo release, the system will feature 3D gaming and require no glasses, feature cart based games, is the successor to the Nintendo DS, will feature backwards compatibility, and hold a target release date of before March 2011. Previously, rumored specs of the handheld had graphics comparable to that of the GCN, no mention of graphics output was made here, though. All other information will be known at this year's E3 showing. At this point, all we can do is speculate."
 

iprice

Certified Guru
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
3,281
Age
50
Location
MK. UK. OK.
Website
Visit site
Launch BEFORE March 2011 (Japan) - that'll piss off the masses that have only recently bought the DSi and LL/XL.

Still, it was expected.

http://gamovr.mx981.com/post/2275
 

Nintendo

Nintendo Switch
Joined
Oct 8, 2005
Messages
13,407
Location
Melbourne, VICTORIA - AUSTRALIA
x68000 said:

450-elmo-rofl.gif
 

Attachments

  • 450-elmo-rofl.gif
    450-elmo-rofl.gif
    917.2 KB · Views: 58
Last edited by a moderator:

lulzfish

Pandora Defense Squad
Joined
Jan 14, 2009
Messages
3,503
Website
troyanonymous.homelinux.com
Man, I remember when 3D meant the kind of 3D that the DS already has.
Slashdot freaking confused me. I was like "But the DS already has 3D... Oh wait they mean optical 3D, not perspective-transformed graphics"
 

bnolsen

Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2008
Messages
107
For a second there I thought this was some of the 3d glasses crap stuff.

I watched the video and this is actually cool. But likely this makes the most sense for puzzle type games. The 2 screens is actually way better than 1 here too.
 

kingoddball

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2009
Messages
1,687
The WII is an awesome toy..

What gimmick?
It's simple and good..

I hardly ever use my Wii, but it's still a champ!
 
R

Red Baron

Guest
kingoddball said:
The WII is an awesome toy..

What gimmick?
It's simple and good..

I hardly ever use my Wii, but it's still a champ!
I agree with you, Nintendo has strayed from the kiss philosophy (Keep it Simple Stupid)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

iprice

Certified Guru
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
3,281
Age
50
Location
MK. UK. OK.
Website
Visit site
Red Baron said:
kingoddball said:
The WII is an awesome toy..

What gimmick?
It's simple and good..

I hardly ever use my Wii, but it's still a champ!
I agree with you, Nintendo has strayed from the kiss philosophy (Keep it Simple Stupid)

Exactly how have they strayed from their basic principle of getting more people to play games with each other then Red Baron?

The Wii, has the simplest controller set-up of any modern console and has brought console gaming to more non-gamers than every other machine before it. The DS has done the same for handheld previously non-gamers. So by that they've failed to KISS?

God help Nintendo if they'd been successful then! :p

:rolleyes:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Jourdy288

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
2,562
Age
27
I can use a fishing rod on my Dreamcast and thus have some Wii-esque stuff going :p
But I don't think the Wii itself is gimmicky (although some of it's games in an attempt to branch out to a wider audience- like The Bachelor video game is flat out dumb) I'm glad Nintendo has opened it up to a wider audience. Now if only it could open up to more developers...
 

second exodous

Advanced Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2005
Messages
2,974
Location
Utah, USA
How is the Wii 'gimmicky'?!? I see this all the time, is it because of the motion sensors and no HD?

From a business stance making something cheap to produce but extremely fun is better than making something expensive to produce and fun. Is this what people mean by 'gimmicky'? They found a way to cheat the system of 'more money=more fun' that Microsoft and Sony just can't seem to grasp?

Red Baron said:
I agree with you, Nintendo has strayed from the kiss philosophy (Keep it Simple Stupid)
How are they straying from kiss? Their system is pretty simple, both to use and the hardware is simple enough to make cheaply. So where do they stray from kiss exactly?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

jlepley

Member
Joined
May 16, 2009
Messages
312
Age
30
The Wii itself isn't gimmicky, it's just that a large percentage of the games for it are gimmicky.
 

second exodous

Advanced Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2005
Messages
2,974
Location
Utah, USA
Aethix said:
The Wii itself isn't gimmicky, it's just that a large percentage of the games for it are gimmicky.
I still don't understand gimmicky I guess. They are different because of the Wii's different hardware. So anything different is gimmicky? You're not allowed to try anything new without being labeled gimmicky?

I have to admit that I don't own a Wii and when I go to peoples houses and play them they never say 'want to play this awful game?' I own a DS though and a ton of those games have weird controls I don't like but others seem to love. Would I call them gimmicky as in it's a gimmick to get you to play the game? I don't think I would, I would call it just a new kind of game that is trying something that has never been tried before. A gimmick in a game would be over use of gore, violence, sex, basically anything that does not necessarily bring better game play but is a stimulus. If it's fun it is not a gimmick, but like I said I only play other's Wiis and no one wants me to show off the crappy games.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Jourdy288

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
2,562
Age
27
second exodous said:
Aethix said:
The Wii itself isn't gimmicky, it's just that a large percentage of the games for it are gimmicky.
I still don't understand gimmicky I guess. They are different because of the Wii's different hardware. So anything different is gimmicky? You're not allowed to try anything new without being labeled gimmicky?

I have to admit that I don't own a Wii and when I go to peoples houses and play them they never say 'want to play this awful game?' I own a DS though and a ton of those games have weird controls I don't like but others seem to love. Would I call them gimmicky as in it's a gimmick to get you to play the game? I don't think I would, I would call it just a new kind of game that is trying something that has never been tried before. A gimmick in a game would be over use of gore, violence, sex, basically anything that does not necessarily bring better game play but is a stimulus. If it's fun it is not a gimmick, but like I said I only play other's Wiis and no one wants me to show off the crappy games.

493.03959+ Internets for you.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Username

Fuckass
Joined
Sep 4, 2008
Messages
1,668
Age
28
Location
Duke, New Mexico
second exodous said:
A gimmick in a game would be over use of gore, violence, sex,
Clearly you were either not thinking or were drunk when you posted. There is NEVER enough gore, violence, and sex in video games. Never. Do you hear me?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
R

Red Baron

Guest
The more I find out about the method of 3D Nintendo’s is going to use the more I am sure it’s going to be a big disaster
I am wondering if this is just con and they are not going to do 3D at all, they must know the flaws with this system
What do you think?
 

x68000

Mega GP Mania
Joined
Oct 27, 2003
Messages
1,658
Location
Co.Durham, UK
Red Baron said:
The more I find out about the method of 3D Nintendo’s is going to use the more I am sure it’s going to be a big disaster
I am wondering if this is just con and they are not going to do 3D at all, they must know the flaws with this system
What do you think?
Nintendo are on a roll at the moment and I cannot see them messing this up.

If reports are correct and visuals are around Gamecube levels (Famitsu are convinced) with the addition of 3D effects (if used by the devs) and the usual Nintendo titles such as Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, I can't see this failing at all.

The general public love a gimmick, Ds with it's dual screens and pen, Wii with motion control and New DS with 3D without specs. Seems like natural progression to me and another moneyspinner for Nintendo.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Top