Dreamcast 2 Petition. Really? Why?

Wrath Of Khan

Soul soother...
https://www.change.org/p/sega-of-am...ease-a-sega-dreamcast-limited-edition-console

I have heard about this before but now it sounds like these guys are getting a bit more serious than previously. No harm in signing the petition i think, which I did.

They are now talking about building a prototype and creating market proposals - they claim to even have a hardware designer and other interested parties - still could be a pipedream and certainly i don't yet see any hard evidence.

It's interesting nonetheless in that it shows just how much love people still have for the Sega Dreamcast. Which still lives on with each glorious indie release.

They even have a facebook page which I have joined just to see what happens - it could be time to take out the popcorn but what the heck, as it does smack of pipe-dreaming.

There's really no space for a Sega Dreamcast 2 in todays market.

Wouldn't it just be sharing all the same games on other platforms? Considering all Sega's franchises are there. They'd have to move everything back to the Dreamcast and Dreamcast only. People don't like that shit.

There's really no space for a Sega Dreamcast 2 in todays market.
Sure

The project idea is more around upgrades to get updated console and keep the compatibility with DC games.
The development cost is probably too important and we may never see a DC Limited Edition ...

Sure

The project idea is more around upgrades to get updated console and keep the compatibility with DC games.
The development cost is probably too important and we may never see a DC Limited Edition ...

There's only 68 titles which today are still exclusive to the Dreamcast console, the rest have been revisited or were available on other platforms. Of these titles there's probably a handful that are worth playing which is likely why they've not been ported off (Although I've never owned a Dreamcast so I wouldn't know :p).

Sega have moved on and seemingly are happy making and porting games for other platforms, they're also quite involved in the Pachinko machine business.

Then there's sourcing compatible hardware to run Dreamcast games..

It's a top idea, I would love to see Dreamcast.2. A bit like the Atari Flashback consoles. Same principle. Bringing old games to the present using modern hardware. Of course, as these project leaders point out, they want this thing with wifi, internal storage etc. They want to make something much closer to a modern console, yet solely for the purpose of experiencing old games. I'm with Khan that Alfred should bring us the popcorn and longchairs. But hey, I say good luck to it.

Petition does not mean that it makes any business sense. In this case, obviously it's completely crazy bat shit.

And probably written by a 5 years old kid or something:

> Letter to
> Sega Of America/Japan
> Please design and release a Sega Dreamcast Limited Edition Console

Seriously.

Unfortunately 35k signatures would be less than meaningful. Even if everyone one of the signatories bought one (they wont) then cos per console retail cost would have so be enormous to cover R&D, production and then profits

Maybe someone should hack together a Dreamcast shaped PC with Linux and an automatically starting Dreamcast emulator on it playing the old games in HD via HDMI-out and having USB-adapters for the Dreamcast gamepads built-in.
Sell em those and they're happy.

There's all kinds of talk; about emulation, Dreamcast Steamboxes, with regular steam shop or bespoke Sega store etc.
I see perhaps passion and enthusiasm here but little indication of a real or even feasible plan.

A neo geo x like dreamcast device could in theory do a few numbers, I might even buy such a device but i don't see that on the table.
Still I can see what ever happens on their facebook page.

Why - because some people cannot let go. Sega is nothing like they used to be (just like Konami - but for very different reasons). The Dreamcast 2 would not have much of a place in todays gaming market - look at Nintendo - trust me they will be praying hard for the NX to be successful. Now, Sega resurrecting some of their IP's - now we are talking. That would make for a more meaningful petition.

So, in summary this was an utter farce. Ironically the trolls were sage like in their predictive prowess; there was no real prototype, dissension in the ranks- two members were ejected,then others left. Facebook page is shutdown, twitter is still open to announce that its all over, and yet oddly 3 days ago I got an e-mail claiming that a prototype reveal was imminent whilst the twitter account says otherwise.

I never was invested in this project so it means nothing to me, it is however seemingly as absurd as much of the events surrounding the natami, native amiga system.
Typically a lot of people bought into the DC2 dream with closed eyes. Exact details are not forthcoming, however when 2 members were suspiciously ejected, the team claimed they had amicably departed, a blatant lie. God made popcorn for a reason...

Edit: And the absurdity continues... Somebody creates another imaginary petition... ffs.

6 JUN 2016 — Another petition has arised. Get on board and support this one toohttps://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Release_a_budget_Dreamcast_2_system_Release_a_budget_Dreamcast_2_system_like_the_SEGA_Genesis_3_for_example/share/?new.

We shall all work together to strengthen our tactics when we are prepared to have a sit down meeting.

Proving community support is going to play a major role and could be a deciding fact to change Segas game.

Last edited:
They're trying to build their own console and hoping to exploit Dreamcast nostalgia for it? Those delicious member berries!
They're also using SEGA's name and IP for advertising. While SEGA may still be watching out of curiosity, I can't imagine them being happy with that in the long run.

They're trying to build their own console and hoping to exploit Dreamcast nostalgia for it? Those delicious member berries!
They're also using SEGA's name and IP for advertising. While SEGA may still be watching out of curiosity, I can't imagine them being happy with that in the long run.
Yeah, pretty much. these guys were behind the original project dream(er) farce. More hot air expended there than a volcano. They mislead a lot of people with hyperbole and bullshit. It was fun to watch... kind of...

The Dreamcast had some of the best Sega games ever made as well as the most original ones. If Sega came back and remade those games for a new Dreamcast 2 system, they would fly off the shelf.

I am so tired of the same old crap games that are being put out now by these companies for the current systems. Same ideas over and over.

Well, if a there is a (S)NES classic why not a tiny Dreamcast with some of the original games on it. As Shenmue 3 is coming you might want to play part 1&2 on the Dreamcast.
For the Dreamcast-2, I would like a new console but it will never be the same thing.

Back