GP32 Driving Game Update!

Daz_Genetic

Certified Guru
Website
www.dazos.com
I apologize in advance that I won't be entering my Driving Game into the GBAX competition. There are various reasons for this, mostly because of the lack of time I have available.

I have however made some progress with it. I have ported the majority of the code to the GP32, and although I am having a few problems with the real hardware, I am getting flawless performance from the emulator.

As a way to show my progress, rather than release a crappy unplayable demo, I thought I would show you guys a video of the game in action on geepee32.

Download here. (XViD 1.2Mb)

There's not a great deal to look but it gives a decent idea. The ground tiles are all the same at the moment, because I haven't got round to loading the .map file. And there is only one tree (for exactly the same reason). Anyway, enjoy.

well..I think I have something wrong with my xvid codec..everything is green. But its looking good for being all green.

:blink:

If thats on the emu, when you get it to h/w, it must get smooth... (with 133MhZ or something) :)

Looks cool :p

Can imagine this game modded with models of soldiers for an army game :D

Akuma no Houkon posted on Apr 27 2004 at 06:53 AM said:
That runs pretty smooth for a 3d game being run on the slow as a snail emulator.

Can't wait to see this game be completed one day, a good, full, native, racing game for the GP32 would be really nice. What does this use for video? Official SDK, Mirkos, or SDL?
Thanks, it's actually almost playable in the emulator :). It's definatley sluggish, However that video is not sped up, so that does give some indication of the kind of performance you will get at a faster clock speed (haven't decided exactly what speed yet).

I'm using the official SDK, but I'm really wishing I hadn't now. It has been the main reason I've had difficulty running the thing on the real hardware. At the moment I have it all working bar file loading. If I randomly create the textures in code rather than try to load them, everything runs on the hardware, and I think you will all be pretty impressed with the speed. But if I attempt to load them from the SMC, it only works on the emulator. Very annoying bug indeed.

The good thing is that I haven't relied on the SDK for most of my code. All the graphics routines are hand coded, so it should be a really simple case to port them to use mirko's SDK when I can be bothered.

Currently I am wrinting a voxel landscape renderer. This may end up being integrated into this engine, so that it could be used to make a wider range of games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, :lol:

Woaah Very Nice. ;)

I'm looking forward to test it!!!!! :rolleyes:

Thanks for your work

Bye

Herc. :ph34r:

Ps: to the admins i love your new Smiley : gp32_console

so cool !!!!!

my dream is to have a good racing game to the gp32 ^^
do you remember screamer2 ? :)
very nice work !!! :)

don't forget to present your project to the Tomak Compo because it's a special competition for gp32 games !!!! :)

You must not apologize.
Are you going to add slopes, hills? Or you want to keep the pure mode7 style?
Voxel could help, look at the PC game called "Outcast" to see the real potential of voxel ^_^
There is also a demo for GBA called "voxel", it is very very cool.

Anyway, good work, the "GeePee32 speed test" is really promising.

we need hills, but not for ramping, we need a street racer like GT2
that would make the gp32 known!
Daz , you should be a guru when this comes out

~Octavious

Daz, it's looking really nice!

The trees, they are billboards only?

I did some prototypes with a voxel landscape for the engine i'm working on.
It looked really good, and made physics really simple (very easy to raycast a voxel), but i had some problems getting the poly objects lined up with the ground properly. (probably some inaccuracy problem).

---
mithris

Congratulation Daz_Genetic, very impressive....
I love voxel, it allows very complex landscape without the ugly angles of polygones ! ( To me, outcast is the most beautiful game of the world :) )

Great work! Looking forward to seeing how far you can take this. You're going to earn a lot of admirers :).

mrpropre posted on Apr 27 2004 at 07:32 PM said:
To me, outcast is the most beautiful game of the world :)
to bad part two never got released :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Good work!

Get that undulating ground going and you can make a deer hunter clone :lol:

Nice one, looking forward to seeing the car model :)

Well I took a little break from the Mode7 stuff in order to play around with something else I had ideas about. Eventually, it will be implemented into the same engine and will be an alternate way of displaying the ground. So far, the same tile set can be drawn in 2D(Top Down), Mode7, and soon Voxels! There may even be the possiblity of combining the last two. ie, anything above ground level could be rendered as voxels. I think that could possibly look damn awesome.

Voxels Demo(XviD 0.5mb)

That is a prototype running in SDL on a reletively slow laptop, which normally gives me a good indication on how fast things will run on the GP32. The stuttering in the video is actually from the screencapture software. I still have to come up with a few ideas on how I can draw the sprites in this mode, as currently they won't sort with the landscape, and I'm not going to use a Zbuffer.

Back