GP32 Driving Game Update!

Wow. That's amazing. If you can implement it into a driving game, why stop there? As Hando says, TV would make a great GP game. Or a remake of it would, at least.

Could you use scaled vectors for drawing on it, out of interest? Or would that use/be a z-buffer? (I know it wouldn't be sprites, but it might let you have apparrent wireframe models, which would be an alternative...).

Wow, the voxels look great! The finish on it reminds me of Worms3D...is it deformable?! That would be amazing!

Good skills

...oh my... this is just too good...

if this should REALLY turn into some usable thing on the GP with THESE graphics... oh my gawd, that would be unbelievable :D

Also, just noticed the terrain is actually fairly small, and repeats. Would larger terrain maps cause problems (specifically memory ones, or having to process too much at once) by any chance?

reminds me of comanche: maximum overkill - the first commercial game to feature voxels afaik. looks lovely look forward to seeing it in action

Tobriand posted on May 1 2004 at 07:16 PM said:
Also, just noticed the terrain is actually fairly small, and repeats. Would larger terrain maps cause problems (specifically memory ones, or having to process too much at once) by any chance?
Not at all, that is just one repeated tile. Once I have fully implemented my structures, so it draws my tiles it could feature any number of tiles, up to the limits of memory. I don't know enough about streaming to make it load and free tiles, but If i manage that, levels would be limited to the size of the SMC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just goes to show the power of the GP32/ARM processor when used properly :) Well done Daz !

As for streaming, how many cycles do you reckon you have left per frame? If it's enough, you could do my simple trick of reading several hundred bytes per frame, and then when the buffers full, start the next buffer. Once you have four buffers, free the earliest, and do whatever you need to do.

Can't really say more than that as I don't know your structures (streaming music, as in, eg. BOR, was actually rather easy, despite thinking it would be complex)

RomHacker316 posted on May 1 2004 at 10:26 PM said:
Would this engine be able to create a Diablo style game for GP32? That would be sweet =)
I very much doubt it without major modification.

I will be releasing the source code, so perhaps. I just don't like those games, so I won't be coding it :)

nice one!

voxels always look great :D

they can be a pain in the ass sometimes tho so the best of luck, im sure your upto the task ;)

is there anyway of rendering sprites on top of the voxels, as in a populous: the beginning style game.

Daz_Genetic posted on May 1 2004 at 11:28 PM said:
I will be releasing the source code, so perhaps. I just don't like those games, so I won't be coding it :)
that would be great and some more technical details

Back