Dwarf Fortress On The Pandora

atomicthumbs

I am the king of the collectors, with hospital bed
Website
printeronfire.org
Slaves to Armok: God of Blood Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress (Dwarf Fortress, or DF for short) is an incredibly complex dwarf fortress simulation game. Wikipedia explains it better than I can..

I emailed the developer, and he said it's a distinct possibility for the Pandora.

dwarffortress.PNG

Looking at the game's graphics itself, it doesn't seem like it would require much, but maybe there's something I'm missing? Perhaps Gene Ray has had a hand in this.

Luftwaffles said:
Looking at the game's graphics itself, it doesn't seem like it would require much, but maybe there's something I'm missing?
The graphics are nothing special, but the game has incredibly complex simulations of a whole world (weather patterns and things) that take up a lot of processing power. Fortunately, the game running slow doesn't really affect its playability (just have to wait longer for time to pass).

Last edited by a moderator:
Just watched a youtube video on the game its playable area is HUGE I suppose this is why quite a decent amount of processing power will be needed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koZUS2h-Yzc - a gameplay video for everyone that doesn't know about the game (the one I watched :p)

Alright, Luftwaffles, you've REALLY gotta stop with the double posting. There's ZERO excuse for it. Just hit the edit button on your original post and add onto that, even prefix your addition with "EDIT: " if you want. Saying "sorry for the triple post but..." just doesn't cut it.

Back on topic: I've heard about Dwarf Fortress a lot, but haven't played it yet. I'll probably try it out soon, or just try it on the Pandora (once I get it and there's a port).

@ Luftwaffles,

I`ve lost count of how many times i have seen you double and triple post.

Read the forum rules, And start editing your posts, Instead of double/triple posting.

Failing to heed this polite suggestion to follow the rules, Could result in you receiving
an official warning, And maybe even a temporary ban.

Ok ?.

Trooper

Alright, who's pressing the reputation down button on the whole thread? :p

Vorporeal said:
Back on topic: I've heard about Dwarf Fortress a lot, but haven't played it yet.  I'll probably try it out soon, or just try it on the Pandora (once I get it and there's a port).

Be careful, the learning curve is steeper than the one for EVE Online. 

This is interesting to hear! Many thanks for contacting the developer and posting about this, atomicthumbs.

Anyone who isn't familiar with the game should absolutely read the tale of the fortress Boatmurdered. It should give you a glimpse into the complexity and insanity that comes with the game. :lol:

atomicthumbs said:
Alright, who's pressing the reputation down button on the whole thread? :p

Vorporeal said:
Back on topic: I've heard about Dwarf Fortress a lot, but haven't played it yet.  I'll probably try it out soon, or just try it on the Pandora (once I get it and there's a port).

Out of curiosity, were you insinuating something? (Just wondering.)

I've never played EVE Online, but I generally pick games up relatively quickly. It does seem incredibly complicated, but hey - complexity isn't always a bad thing.

Wow. For something so graphically unimpressive (not that there's anything wrong with that) it really does like to chew up the CPU. Memory pushes 150 megs. I think it'll be tight if this gets ported.

Vorporeal said:
Out of curiosity, were you insinuating something?  (Just wondering.)

I've never played EVE Online, but I generally pick games up relatively quickly.  It does seem incredibly complicated, but hey - complexity isn't always a bad thing.

I'm not insinuating anything. I found EVE tough to learn, but incredibly rewarding, and this is fun and nearly incomprehensible if you're just starting out (and don't have the benefit of a tutorial).

I played DF once. Tried really hard to learn this complex game... I gave up after a a few hours - but maybe it's time to try again? :)

Anyway. I thought DF was a No-no because of the system requirements, and it's not open source, nor is there a port for linux?
I'm not a developer but if the author decides to port it for LinuxARM I think it would be a huge project and take much time, because DF is for Windowsx86?

r00tw00t said:
I played DF once. Tried really hard to learn this complex game... I gave up after a a few hours - but maybe it's time to try again? :)

Anyway. I thought DF was a No-no because of the system requirements, and it's not open source, nor is there a port for linux?
I'm not a developer but if the author decides to port it for LinuxARM I think it would be a huge project and take much time, because DF is for Windowsx86?

There is a Linux port that uses SDL.

atomicthumbs said:
r00tw00t said:

There is a Linux port that uses SDL.
...and there are even more ports that use various front-ends etc; DF is quite wide-spread in the Linux world actually.
And speed isn't an issue; you'll just experience longer loading times.

Hey you guys, y'all know what would be so awesome? If there was a graphics-accelerated version of DF for the Pandora, that has a more friendly UI (that uses a cursor and actual GUI widgets instead of a hotkey-only interface)... There could even be a 3D interface (since DF worlds are 3D), but it would have to have an innovative UI to work well.
Anyways, is there any one who's interested in doing this?

BTW: http://www.tigsource.com/articles/2008/01/27/dwarf-fortress-3d-visualizer

Yeah, I'd love that. If I wasn't so busy already, I'd be up for working with someone on doing it, but I've got NO free time. I totally support the effort though! :D

Interesting Game, I've never heard about it before. Seems to be really complex and tough, I hope, they have at least translations into other languages for more easy playing.

atomicthumbs said:
Uh-Oh-I watched my buddy while he played a EVE trial...very complex Game and you better don't play it alone. Really not recommended for the average WoW Kiddie. :lol:

There is a (german) Telepolis (a very good german Internet magazine http://www.heise.de/tp/r4/artikel/27/27037/1.html ) article about Dwarf Fortress and there is mentioned, that even modern PC's need up to 20 Minutes to generate the World of the Game...sounds not good for our little Pandora. :(
...but at least the Pandora shouldn't have any Problems with the "graphic" of the Game. :D

fusion_power said:
There is a (german) Telepolis (a very good german Internet magazine http://www.heise.de/tp/r4/artikel/27/27037/1.html ) article about Dwarf Fortress and there is mentioned, that even modern PC's need up to 20 Minutes to generate the World of the Game...sounds not good for our little Pandora. :(
...but at least the Pandora shouldn't have any Problems with the "graphic" of the Game. :D

Really? My laptop (not absurdly powerful, but a good entertainment laptop) took a minute, maybe two MAX. It was so quick I don't remember how long it took. The Pandora shouldn't take _too_ long to generate the world. And in any case, the world only has to be generated once. (At least, once every LONG time.)

Hey, does anyone have the links to packaged Linux versions of DF? I want to install it again (I haven't played for a year or so) but don't want to poison my package system with "make install"s.

Back