E.d & Team - Pandora O.s On N900?

kingoddball

Hi Guys,
I'm bored and have been thinking :huh:

Is it possible to have the Pandora OS installed on the N900?
Just as is, no phone business.

I'm pretty sure it's possible; I'm not entirely sure how, but so long as the OS isn't dependent on any special hardware, it should run fine with tweaking AFAIT.

Well, since the Pandora version of Angstron has needed much tweaking (for WIFI and many other things). Does the N900 have all the same hardware besides the SoC? I'd suspect the customized kernel for the Pandora wouldn't be "out of the box" compatible with the N900... any more than the N900 OS would simply run on the Pandora without work.

Think of it the opposite way: do you think the N900 OS would simply run on the Pandora without work? If not, then the opposite is true as well.

To gain SU mode or root on N900.

Root/SU N900

I'm sure this should have gone to others section - but I'd like the Pandora OS..

BackAssward is most likely 100% correct - It probably won't run without many people and many more hours work.

Unfortunately for cross-system compatibility (but very fortunately for streamlining and efficiency), the OS' for small devices are stripped of what they don't need and optimized for what they do.

So, N900 has stuff the Pandora doesn't need, and lacks stuff the Pandora does. And vice-versa. Though, I know there are people like you who want to go both ways (pardon the pun), and in time people will work on it. Just not "out of the box". Sorry.

Frankly, I suspect you'll find more stuff comes from other devices (to the Pandora) than the other way around, but you might find an N900 lover who is dev who feels as you do, at some point.

Edit @ King: Sorry man, you know I only try to tell it as it is. Wish it was better for you.

I'm looking for a reason to buy an N900.. Mameo looks crap. I'd like a nice OS (with good windowing system) like Pandora OS.. Even has a secondary boot OS.. Oh well..

I know about that. They ported it to SmartQ not long ago.
I like having a good Windowing system that's not shabby. XFCE is great. I only realised it existed after E.D posted his O.S video.

I'm now using Mint Linux with XFCE under VMware now (replaced Fedora 12/KDE with it).

Aren't the devices using the same wi-fi chip? TI 1251 or something like that? Bluetooth I'm not sure about. The rest is pretty similar, if you just ignore the N900 GPS, camera and GSM chips. It's easy enough to install a bootloader on the N900 which will let you boot from SD, for example. It's been done since the 770 through the N800 and N810, and also the N900. The device isn't closed or locked down.

^As I understand it, the problem is that Nokia uses SPI and Pandora uses SDIO to connect to the Wifi chip.

Aha, yes, that would make sense. Otherwise I guess the N900 would also have been hit by the current SDIO breakage in the kernel.

Can you run the Pandora OS on N900?

Linux -> Linux ... so 'yes'.

If you mean an exact pandora firmware then... you don't make sense, since its a different form factor and hardware; I mean, assuming you want your N900 to be a _phone_ afterwards ;)

Can you put the PAndora-specific bits (like pnd-magic) onto N900, then sure, piece of cake.

IT really depends 'what precisely' is being asked, but really you're just killing time so why am I replying? :)

jeff

I'm hoping to get the Pandora OS running on my Touch Book. The TBOS makes me sad, and the Pandora one looks so much better.

TB uses USB for WiFi, bluetooth, and keyboard; ED said that USB WiFi is working, so I presume these aren't a problem. TB has an accelerometer, but I can live without using it as long as I have some way to rotate the screen. TB has a larger screen (1024x600), but I can't imagine that that would totally confuse the Pandora OS. And otherwise, they're pretty identical, so I think this will work. Any naysayers?

I think that the userspace of the devices can be interchanged with very little problems. So, keep the original kernel, put the other userspace on it, and enjoy. Or put it in a chroot, and use both "os"'s at the same time...

skeezix said:
Can you run the Pandora OS on N900?

Linux -> Linux ... so 'yes'.

If you mean an exact pandora firmware then... you don't make sense, since its a different form factor and hardware; I mean, assuming you want your N900 to be a _phone_ afterwards ;)

Can you put the PAndora-specific bits (like pnd-magic) onto N900, then sure, piece of cake.

IT really depends 'what precisely' is being asked, but really you're just killing time so why am I replying? :)

jeff

Bored - Yes.
Killing time - No.

I like the Pandora OS. It's great and PND is awesome!
I would like to have the Pandora GUI on the N900 (With PND support).
I understand it's all different (I'm not a total dunce).
I would like the N900 to have dual boot option with crappy standard OS and kickass Panodra OS (Mostly the GUI side - XFCE/OP Logos and all the fun stuff).

I'm not just trying to get a Pandora "experience" without buying one (Already ordered - Just IMPATIENTLY waiting)..

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, as has been said, you could probably coax xfce on it, provided drivers for all the hardware. Not sure to what extent the existing system is capable of, but if most of the stuff is modifyable through config files and shell scripts, you can probably make it behave like a regular desktop distro, similar to the iPhone os.

^ Penguinbait ported it to his N810 back in the days. I used it myself for a while, cause I could use a gamepad via USB host hack and joy2key in Quake 2.

More to the point - can we boot the Beagleboard with the Pandora OS *today*? I haven't looked into this because I've been running a hacked-up OS on my Beagle for the last year, and its not something I'm comfortable touching yet, but to be truthful if I can run PandoraOS on it right now I'll go get a new SD card and try it out immediately ..

Any chance?

torpor said:
More to the point - can we boot the Beagleboard with the Pandora OS *today*? I haven't looked into this because I've been running a hacked-up OS on my Beagle for the last year, and its not something I'm comfortable touching yet, but to be truthful if I can run PandoraOS on it right now I'll go get a new SD card and try it out immediately ..

Any chance?

Well you can download the Pandora specific image on the Angstrom online builder.. I never tried it on my beagleboard yet or if it's even up to date with what the Developers are playing with.. I need to pickup another SD card to try it out, I quickly did play with the Pandora version Quake 3 on a beagleboard image of Angstrom, it didn't seem to recognize the keyboard or mouse hitched to the beagleboard or it's some weird frame-buffer issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back