Easy Overclocking

DaveC posted on Apr 18 2005 at 06:33 PM said:
You guys that are doing this are nuts! Is it worth a few more MHz to take the chance of frying your unit? I can't believe some of you are actually doing this or are even considering it :rolleyes: Even with an ohm meter you are taking a chance as the reading will be inaccurate measuring in-circuit resistance. Also even if you don't go over 200 MHz it won't matter. Once you increase the voltage it will be increased no matter how high you OC to. You will still puff the CPU it just may take a few minutes longer.

If you really want to volt mod the unit do it with resistors of known values as on the Cobbleware site. Anything else is madness!

I`ve already done it, And paid the ultimate consequence. I may even give it another go. :D

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
trooper posted on Apr 18 2005 at 12:53 PM said:
DaveC posted on Apr 18 2005 at 06:33 PM said:
You guys that are doing this are nuts!  Is it worth a few more MHz to take the chance of frying your unit?  I can't believe some of you are actually doing this or are even considering it  :rolleyes:  Even with an ohm meter you are taking a chance as the reading will be inaccurate measuring in-circuit resistance.  Also even if you don't go over 200 MHz it won't matter.  Once you increase the voltage it will be increased no matter how high you OC to.  You will still puff the CPU it just may take a few minutes longer.

If you really want to volt mod the unit do it with resistors of known values as on the Cobbleware site.  Anything else is madness!

I`ve already done it, And paid the ultimate consequence. I may even give it another go. :D

Trooper
trooper is insane I think Im going to go get a job and buy a 166mhz BLU then I might try this or I can just ask my friends dad to do the oc mod that is on cobbleware because he is an electrition and can probably do it

The thing is, I`ve got a chance of another go, Most people don`t have that option. I may be a little bit more careful this time though as i now know what the consequences are. :rolleyes:

EDIT: If it still doesn`t work out, I`ll call it quits and be in contact with GBAX waving another order form. :D

Trooper

rabbits with hats posted on Apr 18 2005 at 01:21 PM said:
So as long as you don't set the speed on games n stuff over 200mhz it's ok?
well if you already have too much volts going into the CPU it will burn out even if its at a lower speed
DaveC said:
Also even if you don't go over 200 MHz it won't matter. Once you increase the voltage it will be increased no matter how high you OC to. You will still puff the CPU it just may take a few minutes longer.

rabbits with hats posted on Apr 18 2005 at 07:21 PM said:

No! Read the entire thread damnit!

DemonStar55: Erm, you set the meter to a suitable value, and use it to measure across the resistor.. You then adjust the meter until you get a proper result.

Squidge posted on Apr 18 2005 at 07:57 PM said:
rabbits with hats posted on Apr 18 2005 at 07:21 PM said:

No! Read the entire thread damnit!

No!

Ok I am sorry :( .I think I will do it to my mates gp first.

at least i will not blast my gp32, it allready goes to 200 mhz without modification (nlu unit) (well, ok, i have only tested 200mhz a few minutes on drmd2, but at least i can go to 180 mhz....)

STUPIDEST IDEA in the WORLD :p

Hell Why not just get a Wire and bridge it, thats technically what you are doing :p

Resistors were put there for a reason dont remove them and directly connect the points where a resistor should be :p

I get to 254Mhz Thanks to Squidges FLU :) Been playing at that speed for a long time and it hasnt effected it yet

Steve-O posted on Apr 18 2005 at 09:12 PM said:

Hell Why not just get a Wire and bridge it, thats technically what you are doing :p

Resistors were put there for a reason dont remove them and directly connect the points where a resistor should be :p

I get to 254Mhz Thanks to Squidges FLU :) Been playing at that speed for a long time and it hasnt effected it yet

It`s all good fun, In a funny sorta way. :p

Trooper

Would it be wierd if the entire gp32 scene was wiped out overnight by such an idea? MY GOD!!! WHAT HAVE I DONE? :)

This is the kind of excercise that separates hackers from boys. Can anyone test what the average resistance is for a 1mm line drawn in #2 pencil. Maybe we should try mechanical pencils #3s etc. to find the right (best) recomendation.

Yeah!!! Let's do it!!! Wooohooo!!!! :lol:

Has anyone tried pens? Maybe certain pen ink is even better than #2 pencil, and has the advantage of not being blown off in dust ;)

Steve-O posted on Apr 18 2005 at 08:12 PM said:

Yeah, you may as well get a wad of tin foil and stuff it in there, the result will be the same :p

Squidge posted on Apr 18 2005 at 10:59 PM said:
Has anyone tried pens? Maybe certain pen ink is even better than #2 pencil, and has the advantage of not being blown off in dust ;)

Has anyone tried resistors? You know the right ones that will actually work and not bake your unit?

Oh well I guess this could be a good thing as it will keep GBAX and Gamepark in business as you will all have to buy new units ;)

DaveC posted on Apr 18 2005 at 11:05 PM said:

Yeah, you may as well get a wad of tin foil and stuff it in there, the result will be the same :p

Your not going to be saying that after my gp32 does 500mhz :lol:.

it is kinda risky tho im thinking of doing but got to use the ohm meter for sure.

Bourbon

DaveC posted on Apr 18 2005 at 11:07 PM said:

Has anyone tried resistors? You know the right ones that will actually work and not bake your unit?

Oh well I guess this could be a good thing as it will keep GBAX and Gamepark in business as you will all have to buy new units ;)

Charge posted on Apr 18 2005 at 11:32 PM said:
Hell, why don't we all hold our tongues on it to do this :lol:

You're all nuts :D

bourbon posted on Apr 18 2005 at 11:53 PM said:
DaveC posted on Apr 18 2005 at 11:05 PM said:

Your not going to be saying that after my gp32 does 500mhz :lol:.

it is kinda risky tho im thinking of doing but got to use the ohm meter for sure.

Bourbon

DaveC posted on Apr 18 2005 at 11:07 PM said:

Charge posted on Apr 18 2005 at 11:32 PM said:
Hell at why don't we all hold our tongues on it to do this  :lol:

You're all nuts  :D

Don't do it . It is retarded and you will just end up borking your system. Do the correct volt mod if you want to do something.

I really find it hard to believe that someone posts this and people run to get a pencil and a screwdriver and start hacking away without even knowing how or why this "works".

Well I found a better way. If you pick a big booger out of your nose you and place it across the quartz oscillator crystal you can OC to 500 MHZ! Obviously th bigger the booger the faster it will go. You may notice a slight decrease in performance though when the snot dries out :rolleyes:

The originator of this post must work for Gamepark, he figured out a way to increase sales, have current users fry their GP32s so they will have to all buy new ones. Brilliant really.

Back