Ed's Gamma Movie

Awakening

Website
www.digitalawakening.se
Personally I prefer the more colorful Sonic but it's hard to say since it's filmed and it probably looks different when you hold it in your hands.

I would like to say that the blackness on the sides when playing Sonic looks much better then the movies Craig posted. This could have something to do with the cameras being used or perhaps those old movies was using those cheep screens and this prototype is using the final screen. I remember MW saying he bought some screens that looked brighter when turned off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71hehqmv5_c&playnext_from=TL&videos=Cl5fwFfNaxo

I thought the CRT mode looks nicer myself, for gaming, looking at the 2 clips there it was the mud that stood out, on the 2nd clip default setting it looked too orange and glare.
I'm liking this added setting and looks like I will be switching to CRT for emu then.
I will prob search some old YouTube clips now as wondering if that black edges are on all emulators or just the one running sonic 2 there, no big deal really but obviously a bonus if some of the emus do go full screen.
Like the gamma setting though, nice one for that

Fzero said:
I thought the CRT mode looks nicer myself, for gaming, looking at the 2 clips there it was the mud that stood out, on the 2nd clip default setting it looked too orange and glare.
I'm liking this added setting and looks like I will be switching to CRT for emu then.
I will prob search some old YouTube clips now as wondering if that black edges are on all emulators or just the one running sonic 2 there, no big deal really but obviously a bonus if some of the emus do go full screen.
Like the gamma setting though, nice one for that

Personally I wouldn't like to stretch 4:3 content to fill the entire screen, I like my aspect ratio to be correct. But I wouldn't be surprised if you can switch to a stretched mode sooner or later, but the emulators would have to have that added to them. As long as the areas around the game is black and not gray :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah true say that, it's like when I play emu on ps3, I can use my tv settings to go wide, super wide, cinema etc, but then it does skew it and look a bit lame. be nice if the options there though [in time] as then can just trial and see, some games may be ok some not.
Agree on the black too, don't like the wishy washy grey imposter black ;)

Awakening said:
Personally I wouldn't like to stretch 4:3 content to fill the entire screen, I like my aspect ratio to be correct. But I wouldn't be surprised if you can switch to a stretched mode sooner or later, but the emulators would have to have that added to them. As long as the areas around the game is black and not gray :)
Seconded

However I disagree with black/grey comment. It bothers me that a tv can have every feature in the world, but they still give you only two choices for coloring extra screen space. How hard can it be to just put in a custom RGB value, or an adaptive coloring system based on what's shown on the screen at the time. (hypothetical question)

Gamma options are a nice Idea but I would prefer to put these Functions into each Emulator, so I don't have to alter the value for the entire Pandora. Notaz already did a great gamma setting into his GP2X PicoDrive and it is automaticly set for all or just for a few Games. Much better solution instead of changing the gamma value each time per hand befor you play a Game. ;)
Maybe an auto-Setting could be integrated for each link/program you have onto the Desktop. Ao Program 1 don't use it and Program 2 use setting A, Program 3 uses setting B...

Much more usability in this system I think. ;)

The gamma fix makes the disply look twice as good ,will work out well for ghosting issues with the substandard Pandora screen.

Further to what Fusion_Power is saying .. i have requested this before and will do again ,we need a simple or mabe not so simple giu for all the emulators writen on Pandora that would offer the same set of features for display,filters and background media ,something like what we have with minimenu but settings that work throughout every emulator running.I personaly love scanline on small displays and a vibrant brightness boost filter to go with it.

It's a shame as this is the right place to ask but i don't suppose we will get something like this ,but say there was a default Pandora gui that all emulator creators could use for any type of emulator and there was default options/strings that would call functions to the Pandora already writen in the gui ,then devs could also add to this menu if so wish with tailored options for the actual emulator.

Example .. Pandora Emugui

default options included/hooked to the Pandora self functions
-------------------------------------------------------------
Other Media - lets you play radio/music in the background
display - filters - screen size - gama/brightness - backlight
controls - anologs ,core buttons - keys/maping
power settings - overclock/underclock
savestates - game saves

there could be more default options specific to the Pandora and that would make a menu gui like this even more of a great idea on the Pandora.

fusion_power said:
Gamma options are a nice Idea but I would prefer to put these Functions into each Emulator, so I don't have to alter the value for the entire Pandora. Notaz already did a great gamma setting into his GP2X PicoDrive and it is automaticly set for all or just for a few Games. Much better solution instead of changing the gamma value each time per hand befor you play a Game. ;)
Maybe an auto-Setting could be integrated for each link/program you have onto the Desktop. Ao Program 1 don't use it and Program 2 use setting A, Program 3 uses setting B...

Much more usability in this system I think. ;)

Well, the gamma values are simple parameters in the userspace, so each coder can change them from within the emulator - but then it HAS to be integrated into the emulator.
The way we use it here works with ANY program, app, emulator, etc.
The TV Gamma is just an example, you can change the gamma to suit the display contrast to your own needs - and that should be system wide.

As you can create your own profiles and easily switch between them, there's no big deal :)

Last edited:
paddy said:
It's a shame as this is the right place to ask but i don't suppose we will get something like this ,but say there was a default Pandora gui that all emulator creators could use for any type of emulator and there was default options/strings that would call functions to the Pandora already writen in the gui ,then devs could also add to this menu if so wish with tailored options for the actual emulator.

Example .. Pandora Emugui

default options included/hooked to the Pandora self functions
-------------------------------------------------------------
Other Media - lets you play radio/music in the background
display - filters - screen size - gama/brightness - backlight
controls - anologs ,core buttons - keys/maping
power settings - overclock/underclock
savestates - game saves

there could be more default options specific to the Pandora and that would make a menu gui like this even more of a great idea on the Pandora.

Well, a BASIC GUI for all emulators shouldn't be so hard, as most of them do support command lines.
So showing roms from various directories and runnning them using an emulator is easy. The rest (mapping, etc.) depends on the emulator.

Power settings (overclocking / underclocking) can already be done with the included PXML file :)

Last edited:
This can probably be implemented in standardised way (in libpnd or something) so that emulators can easily access the library to change the gamma, as well as read the user's presets.
Then an emulator can have a simple menu listing all of the standard options, as well as any emulator specific ones they want to include.

Ok i have done a small quick crap looking standard gui plus menu pic ,this one is a multi emu launcher style app but i would have thought if every emulator looked the same in style it would be great ,a multi emulator launcher would also be great but i think that is what minimenu is ,sorry if this is way too crappy lol.

this is the main system menu
http://img42.imageshack.us/i/pandoramultimenuemugui.jpg/
pandoramultimenuemugui.jpg

and this is the options menu
http://img686.imageshack.us/i/pandoramultimenuemuguis.jpg/
pandoramultimenuemuguis.jpg

Someone's gonna have to standardize the input interface for emu's, among other things, if you want this to work out.

Seems unlikely unless it's in place before a bunch of emu's get ported, or if it's easy to port to.

Very nice video. TV gamma does look better for Sonic. I hope there are a bit more than just two ready-made choices, though - I'm not very good at setting these things up, so a few different options would be nice.

ED, I couldn't help noticing that you also have "keyboard" in the settings menu. If you ever get some time, I'd personally appreciate a video that shows how to set up and switch between different keyboard modes (for example, I plan to assign Cyrillic characters to the keys to type in Russian, and hope to be able to switch back and forth between the two modes with a key combination).

If anyone's wondering, the layout I currently use is somewhat non-standard:
sbISd.gif

Attachments

• sbISd.gif
    sbISd.gif
    503 bytes · Views: 46
This could come in handy for optimizing the screen for ebook reading :)

Another thought, Intel implemented an automatic backlight adjustment depending on screen content in their drivers. The backlight is reduced and gamma increased in certain situations. It saves much battery life.

Yeah, that would be useful Mali. I don't like the look of it myself, but I'm sure that there are plenty of people out there who would love that.
Every bit of power counts!

I don't care much for Gamma correction as a feature, but I *do* like it that ED is putting in an effort to add these utility/user scripts for us .. if they're being done in Python, well then .. thats the beginnings of a common, standardized API set for the PandoraOS as a base, and that is exciting actually. I think there is a lot of potential for PandoraOS to grow as an operating system beyond that which is provided by the Angstrom standard generalized suite, and if its going to happen it should come from 'the source' of the OS, which in this case is the core OP Team ..

So from that perspective its a strong, positive indicator in my option. Keep at it ED!

I had never even considered that such a feature might be included, so seeing the video brought a smile to my face. That sort of attention-to-detail invariably does. :)

I can see myself making much use of the "CRT" setting. :p

EvilDragon said:
Well, the gamma values are simple parameters in the userspace, so each coder can change them from within the emulator - but then it HAS to be integrated into the emulator.

Could it not be built into the pMenu and such? Select an icon which represents an application, access its properties, and select a gamma setting? The menu could then run the gamma correction script before launching the application.

It would be nice to allow system wide settings like these scripts to be configurable through a configuration menu which one invokes with the Pandora button. This way it becomes globally available to all applications.

This menu could present options such as switching GUI, modifying Gamma, Nubs mode, etc..

Back