Elite: Dangerous

Braben has been promising Elite IV "real soon now!" for more than 15 years.

On the one hand I can see this as being disastrous - if people do trust him enough to get the funding, then there's a real danger that he won't deliver (based on past promises). On the other hand, this might be the kick up the arse that he needs to get the job done.

Gripping hand is that even if he does deliver, given the state of FFE I'm not optimistic that it will be any good.

D.

By what I see from the Braben elite promises all these years, I think Ian was the actual mind responsible for the game.

I won´t pre-buy games from people who can actually afford to make them first...will wait to see.

Very tempted to back this but the total lack of any concrete detail or at the very least preview screenshots / concept art is a little off-putting, as is the memory of the bug ridden mess that was Frontier on Amiga 1200.

Would love to know a bit more about how the multiplayer will work as well.

Still, it would be (mostly) harmless to chuck £20 at this in the name of nostalgia.

The problem is that EVE Online and Vendetta Online are pretty much modern versions of Elite.

The original version is still on my 'have to do before I die'-list.

While waiting we'll have to make do with the Ooniverse of Oolite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Braben has been promising Elite IV "real soon now!" for more than 15 years.

On the one hand I can see this as being disastrous - if people do trust him enough to get the funding, then there's a real danger that he won't deliver (based on past promises). On the other hand, this might be the kick up the arse that he needs to get the job done.

Gripping hand is that even if he does deliver, given the state of FFE I'm not optimistic that it will be any good.

D.

Course, he does get things done..

RaspBery Pi :)

Clearly I'm an Elite fan, but I must admit its hard to back this project. It has probably one of the worst KS project pages I've ever seen. Very little info and no video. I guess I'll check out the forums and tech blogs about it to make my mind up.

Clearly I'm an Elite fan, but I must admit its hard to back this project. It has probably one of the worst KS project pages I've ever seen. Very little info and no video. I guess I'll check out the forums and tech blogs about it to make my mind up.

I do have to agree with you vcoleiro, it is a heck of a poor campaign, almost like "my name and the game´s reputation is enough" kind of atitude.

I do understand not everyone can come up with outstanding videos or extras, but heck, nothing? just a wall of text?

it is almost like he hired overgaus(was that the nick?) to do the project ^_^

I take it to be no excuse, david should work harder!

... as is the memory of the bug ridden mess that was Frontier on Amiga 1200.

Oh nooo, don´t say that, I bought a pretty boxed version of that, some bugs, but never anything big on my book, gave me years of happiness.

It was sure rushed, but I think the braben/bell novela was already kicking in.

The later PC version,the one without Ian bell, with that offending/horrible/heretic attempt on texture was even worse...

What Braben needs to do to ensure success is climb up onto the roof of his house, waffle a bit, then fall off. That would definitely clinch the deal for me. Actually when I say house, I actually mean skyscraper. :p

What Braben needs to do to ensure success is climb up onto the roof of his house, waffle a bit, then fall off. That would definitely clinch the deal for me. Actually when I say house, I actually mean skyscraper. :p

In a snipered headshot by Ian bell?

I bought a pretty boxed version of that, some bugs, but never anything big on my book

From the elite wiki :

Frontier was also plagued with bugs and quirks due to an alleged rushed release. The tale goes that Frontier Developments were not ready to release the game but Gametek forced the issue, stating that the project had been delayed long enough. As a result, many features that were to be implemented were half finished, and the game was unstable. A series of patches were released that repaired most of these errors.

Looks like you got a patched version :) , don't think I ever knowingly experienced a software patch til I got a PC in the late 90's.

Just chucked my £20 at this, good to see it's ticking along nicely.

Bet they'll make £10 million if they put up a few videos / screenshots.

Back